• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Montgomery GI Bill

dk009

Pilot in Training
as an aviator, should i sign up for the gi bill? i know i have at least 10 years in so i figured the navy would pay my way to get my masters in that time frame. i know you cant pass it to your dependents so is it worth it? Thanks for any help.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
The way I understand the GI Bill, it's free money (you put in a little, you get alot). I think everyone should sign up for free money.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Since I have retired, I have used my GI Bill to help pay for my CFI, CFII, MEI and 3 type ratings (Citation, 737 and 727). I have gotten in the neighborhood of $34,000 from the GI Bill. I still have 8 months eligiblity left - or about $8,000 to $10,000 in terms of aviation training.

I used tuition assistance while on active duty to cover my masters degrees.

I don't know all the current eligibility rules, initial costs, etc, but when it first came out, I had to pay $1200 to join it. Best $1200 I ever spent.

Just because you are a pilot or have a masters when you get out, it doesn't mean there won't be other job related training you might need or want. The GI Bill covers more than just college courses. It can be used for almost any type of training.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Everyone should do the GI bill ... what other investment of $1200 pays off at $40000?

They've kicked around the idea of making the GI Bill transferrable to dependents, so it might eventually happen. Even if it doesn't, I'll bet you could figure a way to spend 40 grand in training money, no?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
as an aviator, should i sign up for the gi bill? i know i have at least 10 years in so i figured the navy would pay my way to get my masters in that time frame. i know you cant pass it to your dependents so is it worth it? Thanks for any help.

Short answer? YES

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The GI Bill is a beautiful thing....a beautiful thing indeed.

theduke

if you are eligible for the MGIB, and you don't take it, i question your sanity.

no, that's too mild to describe what i think. how about this...

if you are eligible for the MGIB, and you don't take it, you are either clinically insane, the biggest dumbass i've ever heard of, or both.

TAKE IT, DUDE.

flynsail

pilot
There are NROTC scholarship grads who have the GI Bill. They were, however, college program prior to receiving the scholarship. This comes from the GI Bill website:

Category 1 Requirements . . .

Weren’t commissioned as a Service Academy Graduate or an ROTC Scholarship Graduate unless you meet the exceptions below. If you received a commission after graduating from a service academy or completing an ROTC scholarship, you’re not eligible unless you: . . .

received a commission as an ROTC scholarship graduate after September 30, 1996, and received $3,400 or less during any one year of your scholarship program.

^^extra $600 kicker?

Not sure of whether you can pay it in increments or not. When you pay the "kicker" you increase the monthly amount you will receive. It is an awesome return for an $1800 investment.