• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military Recruiting Ads Thread

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It really isn't that. I am just enthusiastic about these issues and so like to discuss them and give my opinion, and unfortunately it comes off that way.
Except you offer your opinion to a group of people, many of whom literally have postgraduate education on the topic (some with honors and some up the Masters Degree level), followed by real-world joint staff experience. They tell you you're wrong, and then you still proceed to go "but . . . but . . ."

Random8145

Except you offer your opinion to a group of people, many of whom literally have postgraduate education on the topic (some with honors and some up the Masters Degree level), followed by real-world joint staff experience. They tell you you're wrong, and then you still proceed to go "but . . . but . . ."
Well a few things:

1) I don't know which members have said post-graduate education and experience, so someone telling me I'm wrong means nothing by itself.

2) Post-graduate education in what? Russian and Eastern European studies specifically or international relations in general? Because unless that area is their specialty, they'll probably not be much more informed than an interested layman. It's like history Ph.D's who only really know the history of their specific area.

3) International relations is not like piloting an aircraft or nuclear engineering, where expert knowledge is far more trustworthy

4) Experts with Ph.D's in this subject have been wrong.

5) Just being told "You're wrong..." then yes I will push back to learn more. I would need to be told "why" I am wrong which wasn't the case.

NoMoreMrNiceGuy

None
Well a few things:

1) I don't know which members have said post-graduate education and experience, so someone telling me I'm wrong means nothing by itself.

2) Post-graduate education in what? Russian and Eastern European studies specifically or international relations in general? Because unless that area is their specialty, they'll probably not be much more informed than an interested layman. It's like history Ph.D's who only really know the history of their specific area.

3) International relations is not like piloting an aircraft or nuclear engineering, where expert knowledge is far more trustworthy

4) Experts with Ph.D's in this subject have been wrong.

5) Just being told "You're wrong..." then yes I will push back to learn more. I would need to be told "why" I am wrong which wasn't the case.

Jesus Christ dude…take a hint

1666755276836.gif

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would need to be told "why" I am wrong
Based on my observations thus far, you’re wrong because you lack both the experience and expertise for anyone here to give two fucks about what your hare-brained opinions are. You’re like a two year old pontificating on what food is or is not good for them based on how yummy it tastes.

Standing by for your 10 point rebuttal on why the cheezy poofs, which you love so dearly, are in fact, the optimal form of nutrition.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From BUPERSINST 1000.22C, section 7, paragraph 4: "Facial hair is to be of uniform length and free of sculpted styling or edging."
FFS, this is so fucking stupid. Know what else the uniform regs say now? They say that retired personnel can wear the uniform on appropriate occasions while still wearing a neatly-trimmed beard of less than two inches bulk. Because they know that the PR value of retirees doing funeral honors and showing up in uniform for other dignified occasions is worth more than some uptight Master Chief's grooming standards bullshit.

If active-duty personnel are not in imminent need of wearing an O2 mask or CBRN equipment that would be inhibited by the wearing of a neatly-trimmed beard of less than two inches bulk (which we can delegate to their CO to determine), and if literally every other English-speaking navy does not have a problem with this, then why are we even dithering over some stupid BUMED- and Chief's Mess-inspired instruction? Why are we not just letting people wear neatly-trimmed beards, regardless of whether they're black, white, brown, yellow, or pink with purple polka-dots? Are two inches of neatly-trimmed and inspected facial hair going to ruin the force's readiness? If you say "yes," I say bullshit.

exNavyOffRec

FFS, this is so fucking stupid. Know what else the uniform regs say now? They say that retired personnel can wear the uniform on appropriate occasions while still wearing a neatly-trimmed beard of less than two inches bulk. Because they know that the PR value of retirees doing funeral honors and showing up in uniform for other dignified occasions is worth more than some uptight Master Chief's grooming standards bullshit.

If active-duty personnel are not in imminent need of wearing an O2 mask or CBRN equipment that would be inhibited by the wearing of a neatly-trimmed beard of less than two inches bulk (which we can delegate to their CO to determine), and if literally every other English-speaking navy does not have a problem with this, then why are we even dithering over some stupid BUMED- and Chief's Mess-inspired instruction? Why are we not just letting people wear neatly-trimmed beards, regardless of whether they're black, white, brown, yellow, or pink with purple polka-dots? Are two inches of neatly-trimmed and inspected facial hair going to ruin the force's readiness? If you say "yes," I say bullshit.
I wonder if it easier to just say "shave" then to try and make sure those with facial hair are conforming to the regs? I don't see an issue with it but you know there are some groups that if you give then an inch they will take a mile (Nukes).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tell you what, I've got several Sailors of all racial backgrounds with no shave chits, and if that is the way their physiology swings, then I would much rather they sport something stylish and professional than the weird week's worth of growth that used to be enforced. Not sure how we all got so uptight about it, after beards in the USN were de rigeur up until the 80s. I blame the Army.

Random8145

Based on my observations thus far, you’re wrong because you lack both the experience and expertise for anyone here to give two fucks about what your hare-brained opinions are. You’re like a two year old pontificating on what food is or is not good for them based on how yummy it tastes.

Standing by for your 10 point rebuttal on why the cheezy poofs, which you love so dearly, are in fact, the optimal form of nutrition.
No, no sense debating over debating.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
...is worth more than some uptight Master Chief's grooming standards bullshit.

Not sure how we all got so uptight about it, after beards in the USN were de rigeur up until the 80s. I blame the Army.

I still find it amusing how this (preventing facial hair) continues to be such a big deal for some and yet I never would get a talking to when not wearing a cover with a flight suit in the exchange parking lot as a contractor. And my hair is short enough I otherwise look like a salty (read: gray) aircrewman.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I still find it amusing how this (preventing facial hair) continues to be such a big deal for some and yet I never would get a talking to when not wearing a cover with a flight suit in the exchange parking lot as a contractor. And my hair is short enough I otherwise look like a salty (read: gray) aircrewman.
Bags and beards….it works!

5B1BB9B7-8086-47A4-9DFB-95A2ADBB679D.jpeg