• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military Recruiting Ads Thread

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
We will deploy Patriot batteries and train Ukrainian forces with this young soldier ....

How the fuck did Mil recruiting get so woke?

Recruiting is hit or miss in approaches. I think the new Navy version is pretty good.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
We will deploy Patriot batteries and train Ukrainian forces with this young soldier ....

How the fuck did Mil recruiting get so woke?

Because it's targeting a completely different generation than yours? Our opinions about current military recruiting aren't worth shit because it's not meant for us. The Navy was running the Global Force for Good ads when I was joining and boooooy did people shit on those. Guess what, I loved them and made me proud to join a force uniquely capable of dropping bombs and also providing humanitarian relief at a moment's notice.

Also those super badass Russians are getting mowed down in the fields of eastern Ukraine, so maybe their ads were complete BS?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Because it's targeting a completely different generation than yours? Our opinions about current military recruiting aren't worth shit because it's not meant for us. The Navy was running the Global Force for Good ads when I was joining and boooooy did people shit on those. Guess what, I loved them and made me proud to join a force uniquely capable of dropping bombs and also providing humanitarian relief at a moment's notice.
Or, to quote a former CAG-7 at the opening briefs of an Air Wing Fallon . . . we're a Global Force for Fucking Shit Up.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
They were targeting a different demographic for sure. Though I've never seen Army ad elsewhere.

But seeing recruiting shortfall numbers (especially for the Army) I can see why they're turning over every rock, and shaking every bush to see what they can find.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well considering how badly the "anti-woke" Russians are getting their shit pushed in, maybe they're on to something. :rolleyes:

I remember how a bunch of folks got all hot and bothered with how awesome this Russian recruitment ad was and how it was compared to the 'woke' Army ad campaign highlighted in this thread:

As it turns out though, recruiting ads apparently aren't a good way to evaluate the effectiveness of a military! *GASP*

I thought this was funny retort to some of the bullshit:

1666192490651.png

Since I still work with very junior enlisted on a daily basis I am confident in telling folks who get upset at this to quit clutching their pearls and rest well knowing that we have just as many, if not more, great folks in the military as when y'all were in. They might look a little different than you and the hairstyles have definitely changed among many other things (Hair below the collar now?! The horror!), but they are still great people on the whole and I am proud to serve alongside them.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Two different issues at play here, folks. Bad training doesn’t get better with great commercials and poor commercials don’t bring in enough good people to receive great training. (Hint…Russia has shit training and the US has fantastic training). The debate about “woke” or “tough” isn’t really the issue - it is only about recruiting numbers. The army commercial @ChuckMK23 introduced failed horribly because it focused on about 1% of the recruitable population but then again so did the “What’s Your Warrior” campaign. The Navy’s “Global Force for Good” was a bit of a flop and the Marines “dungeon and dragons” crap also failed. I like the new Navy commercial and the Army announced last week it is returning the very successful “Be All You Can Be” effort with a little modernization of course.

Put simply, we have to get them in so we can make them capable.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
My 15 year old nephew thinks my job is/was cool, but doesn't care if and when I tell him Navy stories because I'm old. Then randomly he'll see YouTube/IG/Snap videos of people flying/blowing shit up/boat life and think it's the coolest shit and ask about how he'd start flying. I think the action/adventure aspect of the military sells itself, you just need sell them on the benefits or absence of bullshit. As much as I hate the term "influencer", it's a real phenomenon and the military ones, as cringey as I think they are, are selling us to the next generation.