• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military Recruiting Ads Thread

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
FFS, this is so fucking stupid. Know what else the uniform regs say now? They say that retired personnel can wear the uniform on appropriate occasions while still wearing a neatly-trimmed beard of less than two inches bulk. Because they know that the PR value of retirees doing funeral honors and showing up in uniform for other dignified occasions is worth more than some uptight Master Chief's grooming standards bullshit.

If active-duty personnel are not in imminent need of wearing an O2 mask or CBRN equipment that would be inhibited by the wearing of a neatly-trimmed beard of less than two inches bulk (which we can delegate to their CO to determine), and if literally every other English-speaking navy does not have a problem with this, then why are we even dithering over some stupid BUMED- and Chief's Mess-inspired instruction? Why are we not just letting people wear neatly-trimmed beards, regardless of whether they're black, white, brown, yellow, or pink with purple polka-dots? Are two inches of neatly-trimmed and inspected facial hair going to ruin the force's readiness? If you say "yes," I say bullshit.

I have no problem with Sailors wearing beards.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I blame the Army.
I wouldn't be surprised. I think I mentioned it here before. My father in law held a major command in Vietnam. He hated Zumwalt. Said the sailors literally flaunted beards in front of soldiers. Caused plenty of discipline problems. Made his job that much harder.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wouldn't be surprised. I think I mentioned it here before. My father in law held a major command in Vietnam. He hated Zumwalt. Said the sailors literally flaunted beards in front of soldiers. Caused plenty of discipline problems. Made his job that much harder.
Yeah, I can completely understand how seeing a beard on a guy in another service could compel someone to commit petty UCMJ violations. Makes perfect sense. ?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Of note, the Royal Navy does not allow mustaches. Found that out when we had out mustache competition, the RN folks could not partake. They also didn't like whistling, I actually offended a RN SWO when I did it several times...
Yeah, they only allow full beard-and-mustache; nothing abbreviated. You also apparently have to start growing it on leave and then report to the CMC (or someone similar) who gets to yea-or-nay your ability to actually grow a beard worth having, so that they don't have people running around with scraggly patchy peach fuzz.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh dear. My first time seeing an NJP- "But sir, I had to do it, the other LCPL 'no balls'ed me'"
My personal favorite was the legal paperwork I shredded after we didn’t have to keep it anymore where a couple of kids had gone to NJP for trying to do donuts on the flightline with a couple start carts.