• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MH-60R info

Prashant Patel

I just got "volunteered" for MH-60R's (HSM San Diego) and I'm trying to get excited about it by trying to absord as much info on it as I can. HSL San Diego was my 5th choice. HS Japan and HS San Diego were my top choices but unfortuantely it just happened to be a selection week where they drafted every navy guy to go HSL/HSM. While I get the basics of where the MH-60R supposedly operates (the CIEV spheres of influence) how does it integrate both the HSL and HS missions ? I've seen a 60R during fleet fly-in and I got fly a 60B around and bring it back home course rules so I have a inkling of how it handles but after talking to a bunch of 60B guys, the only upgrade seems to be the glass cockpit. Otherwise, it seems like the majority of 60R missions is still flying the command and control/surveillance projection missions. Not a big fan of those missions but hey, what can you do ?

MasterBates

Mefesto,

He's got Link-16, Link-4 (60B/R only thing), And a shat-ton of ASW crap. Its basically an updated bravo with a dipper.

ESM/EW system can be a PITA to operate.

MasterBates

Mefesto said:
The real question... does he get to blow **** up? If so, it can't be all that bad.

Theoretically, yes.

However we are under TACON of the SWO Captain of our home ship 90% of the time, so they are afraid to authorize anything. I have gotten to designate for a LGB drop south of Basra. That is the closest to actually blowing crap up I have gotten.

I have shot exactly 1 missile in my time in HSL. And I am ont of the luck ones.

Prashant Patel

The pipeline opened up somewhere in early August, maybe July. STUCON tells me that I'm only the 10th guy to go 60R's, so its pretty recent. While it's nice that the 60R has weapons, it doesn't sound like using them is a primary mission, kinda more like a self-defense thing unless it's a -46 or -50 torpedo. I was more interested in SAR and Vertrep, but that's all HSC missions.

NavyLonghorn

The pipeline opened up somewhere in early August, maybe July. STUCON tells me that I'm only the 10th guy to go 60R's, so its pretty recent. While it's nice that the 60R has weapons, it doesn't sound like using them is a primary mission, kinda more like a self-defense thing unless it's a -46 or -50 torpedo. I was more interested in SAR and Vertrep, but that's all HSC missions.

You just got "volunteered" to fly the newest aircraft in the Navy in beautiful SoCal?

God life is soooooo hard. How do you get out of bed?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Not exactly a weapons intensive mission there either. There's more to life (and flying) than blowing things up.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Mefesto said:
Hey, just be glad you don't have to worry about SACT, OCA, DCA, SAR-1,2, AR-anything, IR-pick a number, or any other tactics!!!

Yeah, because there's no tactics in the HSL/HSM world.

after talking to a bunch of 60B guys, the only upgrade seems to be the glass cockpit.

Keep in mind you're talking to a bunch of -60B guys, not -60R guys, so their scope is a bit limited. They're also guys who have been told the Romeo was going to be online "next year" since they started the HTs as students. The avionics in the R are much more in depth and capable than the Bravo. That can be a blessing and a curse, but being able to ID vessels from "many" miles away and classify them (as in fishing boat, DDG, etc) just from the radar return is pretty impressive (for helo guys). The aircraft is sure to be a pig, but hey, the Bravo is no Columbian stirpper, either.

Now, as for the mission, sure it's not your first choice, but there's plenty to do. For what it's worth, HSL guys do put rounds down range, just not anywhere near what they're capable of, unfortunately (although Master's experience is good to hear).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, because there's no tactics in the HSL/HSM world.

Keep in mind you're talking to a bunch of -60B guys, not -60R guys, so their scope is a bit limited. They're also guys who have been told the Romeo was going to be online "next year" since they started the HTs as students. The avionics in the R are much more in depth and capable than the Bravo. That can be a blessing and a curse, but being able to ID vessels from "many" miles away and classify them (as in fishing boat, DDG, etc) just from the radar return is pretty impressive (for helo guys). The aircraft is sure to be a pig, but hey, the Bravo is no Columbian stirpper, either.

Now, as for the mission, sure it's not your first choice, but there's plenty to do. For what it's worth, HSL guys do put rounds down range, just not anywhere near what they're capable of, unfortunately (although Master's experience is good to hear).

They putting an APS-137 on that thing?

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's what I heard (or some iteration of the thing). Did that change? Anyone?

Regardless, the data-processing on the radar alone is better than the good old APS-124. One of the AWs from my first depolyment PCS'ed to Pax back when they were still working the final kinks out and he was mucho-impressed w/ the systems and their integration.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I'm in HSL-40 and everyone talks about the 60R. But since we're in Mayport, we're gonna get it well after San Diego. I'm alomst done with the RAG and believe me the worst/most draining part is ASW. I've only got 6 more sims and I'm DONE! Overall is hasn't been bad at all, I actually wanted HSL because of the variety of missions. Slinging mail and such as my primary mission didn't excite me.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm in HSL-40 and everyone talks about the 60R. But since we're in Mayport, we're gonna get it well after San Diego. I'm alomst done with the RAG and believe me the worst/most draining part is ASW. I've only got 6 more sims and I'm DONE! Overall is hasn't been bad at all, I actually wanted HSL because of the variety of missions. Slinging mail and such as my primary mission didn't excite me.

You know where you're going yet?

Brett