• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mercyhurst University Intelligence Program?

Devil Duck

Agree with some of what as been posted. I may be the first intel o to respond. From my fighting position can say that I have yet to encounter a stereo-typical intel officer. Selection is quite difficult. Seems like many active duty intel officers are lateral transfers or flight attrits. I'm highly suspicious of anyone whose first goal is to be an intel officer.

My advice is simple: attend the best college you can afford (without massive loans), complete a program that interests you, and get high grades. If you're really serious about becoming an intel officer, without lateral transfer from URL, complete a master degree or professional degree.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I suspect the best guidance is the same as we give for would-be aviators: pick a subject that you're interested and will be good at. In the end, you want a high GPA in a given field of study.

Just as with aviation, though, just because it has "intelligence" in the title doesn't mean it will get you an intelligence job, just as a degree with "aviation" in it won't help you be a pilot. Plus, what's your fall-back? If intelligence doesn't work out, you'll have a degree in...intelligence?

Avoid degrees that sound trade-schoolish.A regular IR or PoliSci or language degree will put you in much better stead than "intelligence." A degree in Arabic, Chinese, or Middle Eastern "studies" will get you a lot farther than a degree in intelligence.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Regardless of the secondary/tertiary definitions of "intelligence", on a base level, I do get a chuckle out of hearing there are "intelligence" majors. Like you can "teach intelligence". Almost like the "aeronautical science" majors, where you major in being a pilot. If you suck at flying, you suck. Can't really "teach" a skill.

Yeah yeah, I know "intelligence" is a field, as is aviation. Still makes me smile.

exNavyOffRec

In my several years of recruiting we haven't had a single person selected that spoke any foreign language, early on there were a few History or Political Science with a minor in International Relations or some other field, but recently they have all been technical degrees, the exception was a person that started out in a tech major then switched, so he had calculus, physics, and some other tech courses.

The board is still going to pick some non tech degrees but the split will be slanted for tech, and when you look at the numbers most that apply are non tech, they are huge compared to tech, so tech degree will have a MUCH greater chance.

I suspect the best guidance is the same as we give for would-be aviators: pick a subject that you're interested and will be good at. In the end, you want a high GPA in a given field of study.

Just as with aviation, though, just because it has "intelligence" in the title doesn't mean it will get you an intelligence job, just as a degree with "aviation" in it won't help you be a pilot. Plus, what's your fall-back? If intelligence doesn't work out, you'll have a degree in...intelligence?

Avoid degrees that should trade-schoolish.A regular IR or PoliSci or language degree will put you in much better stead than "intelligence." A degree in Arabic, Chinese, or Middle Eastern "studies" will get you a lot farther than a degree in intelligence.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In my several years of recruiting we haven't had a single person selected that spoke any foreign language, early on there were a few History or Political Science with a minor in International Relations or some other field, but recently they have all been technical degrees, the exception was a person that started out in a tech major then switched, so he had calculus, physics, and some other tech courses.

The board is still going to pick some non tech degrees but the split will be slanted for tech, and when you look at the numbers most that apply are non tech, they are huge compared to tech, so tech degree will have a MUCH greater chance.
If that's the case, that's a big change from five or so years ago, when the Intel field wanted lib arts majors and languages were a premium as well. I know the Navy has focused increasingly on technical degrees because we're a "technology oriented" service, but I question the validity of that paradigm for the Intel field. You don't need a technical degree to figure out PowerPoint, or figure out how to plot a target on a chart. You do need to be able to write well - something that people with technical majors tend to be deficient in.

exNavyOffRec

If that's the case, that's a big change from five or so years ago, when the Intel field wanted lib arts majors and languages were a premium as well. I know the Navy has focused increasingly on technical degrees because we're a "technology oriented" service, but I question the validity of that paradigm for the Intel field. You don't need a technical degree to figure out PowerPoint, or figure out how to plot a target on a chart. You do need to be able to write well - something that people with technical majors tend to be deficient in.

Yes, big change, the Intel officers I have worked with recently said their chances of getting selected now if they were applying were slim to none. The long term thoughts are that IP/IW/Intel will be interchangeable in the future, but I believe it was phrogdriverswife that said they were still having issues with that, everything is going the way of the computer.

I agree tech majors are the best at writing papers, but they should be able to use spellcheck, it won't get them all the way there but a good amount.

The numbers for IDC are low anyway, so they do get to pick and choose.

Really the USN could just recruit for 2 OCS designators, Pilot and Nuke, and those that don't cut it for aviation for some reason or Nuke for some reason could filter down to everything else.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Do the people making these decisions even know what a junior intel O does in the real world?

It doesn't take a degree in quantum physics to surf SIPR and brief a ready room about shit they already read from the regular news.

exNavyOffRec

Do the people making these decisions even know what a junior intel O does in the real world?

It doesn't take a degree in quantum physics to surf SIPR and brief a ready room about shit they already read from the regular news.

Well, it is the IDC community so I would say so, well maybe not....... oddly enough I think that is what one of the Intel officers I worked said they did on deployment, that and finish their Master's

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You do need to be able to write well - something that people with technical majors tend to be deficient in.
Which will drive their PERSO and AO absolutely bugshit come crunch time on evals or awards.

koolaiddrinker

"Strategic Planner" Hahahahahahaha
pilot
There are schools recognized by the Intelligence Community as "Academic Centers of Excellence". Not sure it would play with recruiters, but the program at Nebraska is very successful at getting its grads hired on as civilian intelligence analysts. Their program is a hybrid international relations/computer/math program.

http://www.dni.gov/cae/institutions.htm

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
This is precisely what I'm talking about. Good writing =/= correct spelling. ;)

That's just it, it's not odd at all - it's the norm.

Truth about the writing. But that's why there's always the one "that guy" tech major, who can write well, (<-- that's called an "apposition) to publicly correct someone's power points for using the incorrect homophone, improper use of subjects vs objects and vague diction. May start out as annoying, but sooner or later your peers start bringing shit to you to review before it goes to the skipper.

-"that guy"