• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mercyhurst University Intelligence Program?

Clausewitz

Hello, Intelligence forum, I am a Sophomore(Junior this Fall) in High School and I want to go into the Navy as an Intelligence officer. So, at the advice of my Sea Cadet commander, I started to look at colleges to apply for Spring 2013(I was told to apply in my Junior year). Along the way, I found many prospective colleges, but one in particular stuck out to me: Mercyhurst University, as it had a program offering a Major in Intelligence Studies. Now, I figured the college seemed like the perfect place, as this would get me a degree that in the field I wish to pursue.

Unfortunately, MU does not offer a Navy ROTC program, so this turned me off a little bit. However, there is a Navy Reserve Center, and, from what I've seen on this forum and real life, I could enlist in the Navy while I pursue my education and then become an Officer. Of course, A School would likely force me to miss my first semester, and then there is the possibility of deployment while in school. So that could be a hassle.

Now, I have a couple questions

First off, what do guys know about this program? Does the Navy endorse it? How much will it help me?

Second, how will NOT being in NROTC affect my chances of getting intel?

Third, what about the Naval Reserve? How much will it help me? Is it worth it?

Fourth, how many openings are there each year? It seemed like in another thread people were saying that 2013 only offered 10 slots, is this true every year?

Regards,
Clausewitz

jmcquate

Contributor
I know of the school but nothing of the program. I’m skeptical about any major that ends with the word “Studies”. I was a History major and spook central offered me a job a while back. I’m sure that Navel Intelligence is looking for bright kids from all sorts of majors.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I know of the school but nothing of the program. I’m skeptical about any major that ends with the word “Studies”. I was a History major and spook central offered me a job a while back. I’m sure that Navel Intelligence is looking for bright kids from all sorts of majors.

Is that the science of finding lint in a belly button?
250px-Human_navel,_female.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would suggest that an "intelligence studies" degree will do nothing to improve your chances of getting selected for, or excelling as a Navy Intel Officer. Just get yourself a poli-sci or history or IR degree (or whatever you're interested in) somewhere that has an NROTC program.

Secondly, the consensus around here is that if your desired end-state is being an officer, enlisting will only make it harder to reach that goal. If you're able to go to college, do that and get a commission. Enlisting in the active component or reserves will not help your chances of being selected, nor will the experience you gain as an enlisted person offset the number of hurdles that will be placed in your way as a result of enlisting.

Edit: Mercyhurst looks like one of those "for profit" institutions that promise a lot and generally leave you with a huge amount of debt. I'd be VERY suspicious.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Now, I have a couple questions

First off, what do guys know about this program? Does the Navy endorse it? How much will it help me?

Second, how will NOT being in NROTC affect my chances of getting intel?

Third, what about the Naval Reserve? How much will it help me? Is it worth it?

Fourth, how many openings are there each year? It seemed like in another thread people were saying that 2013 only offered 10 slots, is this true every year?

Regards,
Clausewitz

1. The program appears to have some repute, however I would expect nothing but perfection grade wise from your package in such a specific field as many I am sure haven't heard of it and it has the "studies" stigma (even if it isn't a valid stigma). I will also add that a degree in a more well-rounded field of study (such as Computer Science) will greatly benefit you for the Navy and beyond in the civilian sector.

2. It may in fact improve your chance, the mission of NROTC is to commission unrestricted line officers.

3. I'm going to say, having once been in your shoes, no. If you want to be an officer, apply to be an officer. Enlisting and becoming an officer, while a very great thing worth being proud of, is very difficult to do. I read and help write letters for STA-21 packages and it is definately not a free meal in terms of competition.

4. Intel is very selective because the size of that communnity allows it to be. Expect it to be a tight squeeze regardless of what your commissioning source is. The best bet that will not detour you into a community you don't want is OCS. Make PERFECT stats and apply apply apply.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NROTC does not produce intel officers generally speaking. Its purpose is to create unrestricted line officers (aviators, SWOs, sub guys, etc). Barring exceptional circumstances, you will not become an intel officer through NROTC. Check out the NROTC website for more info in terms of your career options. If you don't like those options and only want intel, OCS after college is probably a better fit for you.

If you're a sophomore now, yes, looking at colleges is a good thing, but you don't actually start applying for schools until the beginning of your senior year. Talk to your high school guidance counselor or whoever at your school helps out with colleges. Your Sea Cadet commander is a good resource, but people at your school are probably going to know more on the college admissions perspective.

And Brett Mercyhurst is a legitimate college, I had friends who went there (though they all transferred out of it), but in terms of academic quality, well.....

BackOrdered

Contributor
And Brett Mercyhurst is a legitimate college, I had friends who went there (though they all transferred out of it), but in terms of academic quality, well.....

That is where I would have issue.

I went to a private university, I will probably be in debt to the day I die, but the academic quality couldn't be beat. Real doctors with field experience/success taking time out to teach, not research. If you are paying out the tailpipe and the quality is sub par, you may as well go State.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Sounds like legitimacy is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

exNavyOffRec

If you want to be an Intel officer you should look at a degree like Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Math, Physics, or something else technical, that is the direction they are going.

phrogpilot73

If you want to be an Intel officer you should look at a degree like Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Math, Physics, or something else technical, that is the direction they are going.
Or Powerpoint ranger. That's what I hear the intel guys do... ;)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The idea of an unclass "intelligence studies" degree strikes me as absurd. Those who tell don't know. Those who know can't tell. Give me a spy who is willing to understand my mission, what information I need to accomplish it, and how to train their IS's to help provide it. What is that person's degree? DILLIGAF?

Clausewitz

That is where I would have issue.

I went to a private university, I will probably be in debt to the day I die, but the academic quality couldn't be beat. Real doctors with field experience/success taking time out to teach, not research. If you are paying out the tailpipe and the quality is sub par, you may as well go State.

Mercyhurst costs about $9,000 per term, and I believe that there are generally 2 terms in a year, so that evens out to be about $24,000 a year when you include room and board. Which isn't too much more expensive than going to Truman, an instate school. So, I guess that would be about $96,000 for my entire education, and I figure I can pay that off with the pay I'll get from the Navy within a decent amount of time.

Of course, I don't know what constitutes 'crushing debt'.

What do you guys know about getting a degree in National Security Studies? Aside from the 'Studies' stigma. I'm also looking at IR and poli sci, but I am getting a lot of information about these degrees already.

exNavyOffRec

Mercyhurst costs about $9,000 per term, and I believe that there are generally 2 terms in a year, so that evens out to be about $24,000 a year when you include room and board. Which isn't too much more expensive than going to Truman, an instate school. So, I guess that would be about $96,000 for my entire education, and I figure I can pay that off with the pay I'll get from the Navy within a decent amount of time.

Of course, I don't know what constitutes 'crushing debt'.

What do you guys know about getting a degree in National Security Studies? Aside from the 'Studies' stigma. I'm also looking at IR and poli sci, but I am getting a lot of information about these degrees already.

You need to read my post, the majority of the people that have been selected for the Intel field are technical majors, NOT Political Science/International Relations/History/etc...... the direction of the IDC has changed in the past few years. The majors you are looking at lead to people becoming SWO's not IDC, not a slam on SWO's just calling it like it has been for several years.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You need to read my post, the majority of the people that have been selected for the Intel field are technical majors, NOT Political Science/International Relations/History/etc...... the direction of the IDC has changed in the past few years. The majors you are looking at lead to people becoming SWO's not IDC, not a slam on SWO's just calling it like it has been for several years.

IDC? Is that Intel?