• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

mattress suggestions??

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I had a tempurpedic CA king. It was great. I honestly could not feel my 120 pound Chocolate Lab jumping on the bed, or my 300 pound ex getting in or out. Never had a problem with it. No sweating on my side, but the ex did complain of that. (she's one of those who gets up to funk with the thermostat/fan 10 times a night)

I have a lower end Sealy in the Puma (RV King size) and its not bad, but you can hear the springs.

If you wouldn't do that at night, the springs wouldn't move :eek:

I tried one of the tempur beds....liked it a lot; it had the new anti sweat layer thingy on top. 3K. Gonna look at a sleep number bed this weekend.

KBayDog

I wouldn't chintz on something you spend 1/3 or more of your life on.

Unless, of course, you join the military, in which case that 1/3 becomes much, much less (1/4, perhaps?), and a good portion of that "much, much less than 1/3" is spent on the road, in a bed other than "yours" (or on the ground, or in a tent, etc.)

With that in mind, perhaps those with knowledges can offer suggestions for making your shipboard mattress more comfortable? (P-3/Herc bubbas need not apply - you guys can start your own thread on which hotel has the best breakfast.)

phrogpilot73

PSW and I tested out a Tempurpedic and a Select Comfort in the mall a couple of weeks ago. We liked both, but are probably going to get a Select Comfort eventually, because she likes a soft mattress and I like it firmer... Our current mattress sucks, because it seems to need to be rotated more than once a month.

With that in mind, perhaps those with knowledges can offer suggestions for making your shipboard mattress more comfortable? (P-3/Herc bubbas need not apply - you guys can start your own thread on which hotel has the best breakfast.)
Get a memory foam mattress topper. Twin size, and then cut it down to fit the non-standard ship size mattress. It's technically "illegal" since it's not fire retardant, but I just made sure to put it under the fire-retardant fart-sack that was provided.

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another vote for Tempurpedic... we've had ours for several years now and will never go back to anything else. The part we hate most about every PCS is being without it!

tiger84

LT
pilot
I have a Sealy TrueForm 11-Series. It's the thickest of their memory foam mattresses. So far I absolutely love it. It's firm, which I like, but the memory foam does a good job of conforming exactly where it needs to. I've never been hot sleeping on it either. I've had a select comfort in the past and I hated it. Unless you go for one that has all kinds of conventional padding or a huge pillow top it feels like you're sleeping on a $20 air mattress.

robav8r

None
Contributor
You know, I find it rather amusing that some of the greatest "warriors" in military aviation are discussing the merits of what mattress is best. Like a bunch of hens in a Hen House !!!
:D

eaw75

I've had the tempur for about 4 years now, an outstanding investment. I had back surgery about 2 years ago, part of a disc was removed... on the bad days the tempur is my best friend. I usually wake up the next morning with minimal discomfort, if any.

P.S. .... I don't want ANYTHING that will "make" you sweat. I.e., the "foam" mattresses don't sound like they fit the bill, in this case.

I am a sweat-hog and the tempur seems to add to the equation. It doesn't help that the wife turns into a furnace when she sleeps and increases the core temperature of the mattress by 10 degrees. But these things are negligible when dealing with a bad back.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
You know, I find it rather amusing that some of the greatest "warriors" in military aviation are discussing the merits of what mattress is best. Like a bunch of hens in a Hen House !!!

Well...Napoleon said "An army marches on its stomach." Apparently, aviators work on the mattress...:D

Cue up the bah chica wah wah music...;)

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
PSW and I tested out a Tempurpedic and a Select Comfort in the mall a couple of weeks ago. We liked both, but are probably going to get a Select Comfort eventually, because she likes a soft mattress and I like it firmer... Our current mattress sucks, because it seems to need to be rotated more than once a month.

Get a memory foam mattress topper. Twin size, and then cut it down to fit the non-standard ship size mattress. It's technically "illegal" since it's not fire retardant, but I just made sure to put it under the fire-retardant fart-sack that was provided.

overstock dot com has the toppers on sale

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
P.S. .... I don't want ANYTHING that will "make" you sweat. I.e., the "foam" mattresses don't sound like they fit the bill, in this case.

Anyone care to correct an old man's apprehensions???
:eek:

Hey Gramps Pettibone ;)! They DON'T make you sweat anymore. I think in the days of "yore" it was the case. But our memory foam mattress with the included quilted cotten-esque pad topper is as cool and breathable as all get out. I love it.

FTR, I fought my insomniac wife on getting a new mattress and have since eaten my words after sleeping on this miracle from God... it's that good.

Did Master Bates say MANATEE!?!?

mb1k

pilot
None

Like we say in the Air Force, "Shut up NAV!!" :icon_wink

I keed!! I keed!

Update

robav8r,

It doesn't get better than this! I just read your bio. You used to be an AW! I revise my statement.

"Shut up AW!!"

I killl myself!

mb1k
'92- '96/1,500 hours SH-60B

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I'm having my king size tempur delivered tomorrow morning....looking forward to it.

mb1k

pilot
None
I'm having my king size tempur delivered tomorrow morning....looking forward to it.

Be advised (can't believe I said that..) but all Tempurs (memory foam) are not equal. We had an 8" delivered by mistake and it was NOT all that. When we finally got our 12" delivered, it was that and more. There is a difference, your taste will dictate.

Let the off color jokes about inches and size ensue...