• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Jet Slots Available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSUMarine

Lay off me! I'm starving!
There is a rumor spreading around like wildfire here in Corpus that there are no more Marine jet slot available this fiscal year. This is after they have been sending any Marine with over a 52 NSS to jets "like it or not" for the past 6-8 months or so. Does anyone out there have any info on this?

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
Nothing concrete, but not long after I checked in, I heard (at the MATSG office) that there were only 20 slots (at K-Rock) left for the year.

I was one of the "draftees", so I was pretty surprised when I heard this. It probably also has a lot to do with all of the Navy-Marine transfers. I think they outnumber the TBS Marines here in early training.

There *are* slots, but I imagine they are few and far between now.

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
I know at least one Marine personally that has selected jets this fiscal year....and only a few weeks ago at that. Not that it really means anything.....try not to get caught up in the rumors, because in the end the people that will know are not the people you are talking to....and you will just drive yourself up a wall. my .02

Good Luck and just keep maxing out on your effort....thats all you can do. Timing is everything.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
well, from my huge plethora of experience to draw from...

my guess is the draft IS over, and that more Navy guys are getting it than in recent history. 3 in my class of 6, 3 in the class after us out of 7(?). That's a pretty good ratio now...

usmcnole

Marine SNA, Advanced, HT ?
Something I've always made a point in doing: Don't let the rumors that run like crazy around the Primary VT's run your life. All you can do is do your best and if for some reason that isn't good enough to get jets, then do your best in whatever they put you in. Remember the Marine Corps' mission isn't to make you happy; it's to train you to employ whatever weapon system they put you in, so that you can carry out our nation's will and fight wars on foreign soil so that we don't have to fight them here.

As far as the "No more jet slots available" crap that CNATRA was passing down, it turned out to be a typo; a mistake made by higher. There are plenty of jet slots available for Marines.

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
usmcnole said:
As far as the "No more jet slots available" crap that CNATRA was passing down, it turned out to be a typo; a mistake made by higher. There are plenty of jet slots available for Marines.

Wow, that's a pretty big typo.

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
Even the people in the "know" are not always in the "know". For instance, TRAWING 4 commodore told me to MY FACE (speaking to a small group at an awards presentation) that the Navy was only going to have 3 Jets slots for the Navy for the rest of the year. In the last couple of weeks I have seen a crap load of jet slots for Navy guys....and people with 'marginal' Nss getting them (meaning you didnt have to be one of th 70+ NSS guys to have a chance at a Jet slot). No body knows WTF is going on....CNATRA is just knee jerking to variations in the pipeline and will probably continue to do so.....just pray your on the right side of the knee jerk :)

RumorBuster

Old Warrior
There are Marine slots left. Numbers are less and the draft is over, but there are slots for those who earn them.......

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
RB, I was wondering if you had any gouge on what kind of Marine platform slots we may be looking at for the May 06 winging.

v/r

orthaj

you can still get a jet slot in the Marines...if you are number one in your class. If you are number 2, nothing is garaunteed

hendogg311

Yeah talk around Whiting is there aren't any USMC jet slots available. So the rumors travel fast. But you guys are right, just try your best. If you quit then you will never get what you want.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
I heard a rumor that, as of today, there are 4 jet slots left for the FY for Marines...so that pretty much means you have to be the top of your class to get jets.

bcatcher5

Selected OCC 190
D_mac05 said:
I heard a rumor that, as of today, there are 4 jet slots left for the FY for Marines...so that pretty much means you have to be the top of your class to get jets.

4 jet slots for the next nine months. Ummm...does that mean they have 250 helo slots open?

Status
Not open for further replies.