• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Jet Slots Available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSUMarine

Lay off me! I'm starving!
Hey folks, here is an update on the situation. For about two weeks the situation was "no Marine jet slots available for the rest of the year." Then the higher-ups decided to amend that knee jerk reaction, and there is now ONE Marine jet slot per week for the number one stud if he wants it. MATSG-22 CO (corpus) said this all came about when the Corps decided to pull 4 harriers out of each squadron and put them in storage, and then do a pricey but needed modification on the remaining birds. The aircraft in storage will pulled out and returned to service after having the modification done on as needed basis. (ie when they need to replace a bird that augered in) They are trying to ensure that the harrier will be around until the JSF comes online. Any harrier Devils out there care to confirm, add to, or call BS on this?
Anyway, I selected last week and I'm going to Meridian. Good to be a Meateater.

bcatcher5

Selected OCC 190
LSUMarine said:
For about two weeks the situation was "no Marine jet slots available for the rest of the year." Then the higher-ups decided to amend that knee jerk reaction, and there is now ONE Marine jet slot per week for the number one stud if he wants it.

On average, how many Marine studs select per week? Is it 40 marines per week?

LSUMarine

Last week I was the only Marine selecting out of Corpus along with 3 out of Whiting. The previous week 11 Marines selected. About 350 Marines select per year. Do the math and it averages about 7 per week. Still, either 4, 11, or twenty, only one spot per week.... until they change it again....

LSUMarine

bcatcher5, by the time you get close to a selection it will be an entirely different situation. Its far to early to start sweating selection....

gyrene

Marine SNA
Waiting in the pool in k-rock and visiting the TW-2 stucon, I can tell you that there are 5 marine spots left in the fiscal year here in TX. 2 spots in Aug, 2 in Sept and 1 in Oct.
The Aug spots are supposedly going to be filled with selectees from July.
So it looks like the latest info suggests a marine drought in TX for a few months. Granted, I've no idea what's happening in Meridian. They've taken almost 1 marine per week for the last few weeks.
Here in TX, things may always change as well. The navy just opened up about a half dozen more jet spots for the fiscal year.

bcatcher5

Selected OCC 190
LSUMarine said:
bcatcher5, by the time you get close to a selection it will be an entirely different situation. Its far to early to start sweating selection....

Yes, I understand that I won't be selecting for a long time and I am not concerned about what if's. I was just curious how the selections process works. I understand it's a timing thing for the jet slots and c-130 slots (from what I understand). For instance, as of right now, for a Marine stud to select jets it would be safe to assume that they be #1. Needless to say, thanks for the breakdown regarding the selection process.

Aviator4000

Hi guys I don't mean to sound like a whiney piss ant and I know the question has been asked millions of times before, but I will ask one more time. What is the ratio of Jets/Helos/Props. I'm not a pompus d!ck that will only take jets, if that was me I would go Air Force. I was just curious, and even more curious what the breakdown of combat helo/transport helo also.

I was recently contacted by an OSO and told that because the USMC is hurting for aviators that I would have almost 100% chance I could get an air contract through PLC, but I would have to apply immediately. The reason he is contacting me now is because my local enlisted recruiter insulted my intelligence and did not put me in contact with an OSO last fall when I inquired about PLC. He basically said the only chance for PLC is through the reserves. I knew better then this and this left a sh!tty impression of the Marines. However that recruiter has since left and the other recruiter called me out of the blue and asked me if I was still interested in PLC, he gave the closest OSO my phone number and he called me late last week. Luckily I am in half way decent shape, which for me is the ability to max pull ups/crunches and run 3 miles in 23:00 (I Know guys, I'm slow, but I am heavy with muscle).

I am not 100% sure my heart is with the Marines (at this time), and that is being totally honest. The reasons are not because I am scared of combat, long runs, etc. I know how aviators go in cycles of flying then B-billets or forward air control (combat). I actually like this when compared to the Air Farce. My problem is that my family situation has changed (recently born godson) and I think my family will miss me. Hell I think I will miss my family. This is why I have the highest respect for our armed forces (all branches).

My questions are:

1. The breakdown of Jets/Helos/Props?c I want to know this so I have an idea of what I can expect. I would love to fly Harrier, Hornet, Cobra in that order. I want to blow **** up but would not be unhappy flying transportation (especially them Osprey's).

2. Has anyone felt similar about their family situation? Please talk me into becoming a Marine. I am a hard core conservative and know that the Marines would be a second family for me. I also like being busy, so that will not be a shock to the system, I am lucky to get 5 hours of sleep a night right now (I work full time, 19-21 credit hours a semester with a 3.75-4.0gpa every semester, and I find time to workout for at least an hour a day).

3. What are the chances of getting an aviation slot going through straight OCS vs. PLC? Is there a difference in Jet/Helo/Prop's drop between the 2?

Any info would be surely appreciated guys, I am short on time to make a decision.

orthaj

Unless you understand chaos theory there is no sure fire way to predict anything in the Marine Corps...which applies to jets to props to helo ratios for the marines.
Unless you are number one you don't get to decide. Be happy with what you select or get selected for and carry on, remember there are no bad MOS's just bad attitudes.

gyrene

Marine SNA
you shouldn't have any problems getting into PLC.
and like the above, your attitude will determine whether or not you end up getting what you want.

to answer your pressing question of ratios is somewhat inconsequential.
if i knew the exact numbers now they'd surely change by the time you got there. to give you a rough idea it's 60% helos, 30% jets, 10% props.

but that's changed so much in the last year it's somewhat useless.
you could have 50% props one week and 0% jets. it all depends.
for the most part if you get #1 you get what you want. that's the closest to a guarantee.

i gotta say that i thought about the ratios as well when i first started. i went so far as to count the fleet squadrons and whatnot and guess how many pilots were out there and what the turnover was. over time, however, it really becomes futile. if you want to be here it won't matter what you fly. in the marines everything is good to go. and the best part is you're a marine before you're a pilot. it sounds cheesy before you become a marine but once you realize it along the way you'll get exactly what i'm saying.

Singer6

Konichiwa *****es
My experience working in OPS in Kingsville was that the marines had their phooey together. Whenever there was a drought of any kind it was always navy. They were still having trouble getting marines to go jets before I left there so maybe they decided to front load it all. There was a time when I was there we only had marine classes starting for four or five months. Another thing that may have happened is the USMC IPP might have changed. That happened to the navy side of the house when I was there. A few people struggling in the TS sylabus were offered a choice between attrition and E2s. Most chose to get their wings.

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
gyrene's got it right on about timing. That's probably about the rough breakdown, but some weeks everyone with jet grades gets jets, some weeks only one guy gets jets. PLC is the same as OCC as far as location, length, and type of training(good times). You do PLC over the summer though while you are still in school and OCC is for guys who have already graduated. If you have an air contract in either one it will not have any effect on what you end up flying, other than the fact that it might affect when you get to flight school. As far as family goes, I've gotten to see mine quite a bit through TBS and a little over a year and a half of flight school, and they're all the way out in california. It's easy to get leave during christmas break and long weekends while at TBS or in flight school. I'm sure its a lot harder to do when you're in the fleet, but so far it hasn't really been an issue. good luck with the decision.

Aviator4000

Singer6 said:
My experience working in OPS in Kingsville was that the marines had their phooey together. Whenever there was a drought of any kind it was always navy. They were still having trouble getting marines to go jets before I left there so maybe they decided to front load it all. There was a time when I was there we only had marine classes starting for four or five months. Another thing that may have happened is the USMC IPP might have changed. That happened to the navy side of the house when I was there. A few people struggling in the TS sylabus were offered a choice between attrition and E2s. Most chose to get their wings.

By TS sylabus do you mean their top secret security clearance? Do you know what kind of issues made these candidates struggle with their TS sylabus?

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
Not quite

Aviator4000 said:
By TS sylabus do you mean their top secret security clearance? Do you know what kind of issues made these candidates struggle with their TS sylabus?

:D <snicker>...

TS = Total Systems, meaning the entire sylabus, as opposed to E2C2 guys who only do phase 1 & the boat or jet transition guys who are switching fleet platforms.

Don't feel bad. I was in advanced for a few weeks beofre I figured it out myself. I thought it meant "Training, Strike" or something. I struggle with it no matter what it's called. :)

PS: On a personal note, I just finished my last RI tonight (and man that felt good!!!). FAMs, here I come!

Status
Not open for further replies.