• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine General Counseled for Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050203/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/marines__comments

Marine General Counseled for Comments

Associated Press

WASHINGTON - The commandant of the Marine Corps said Thursday he has counseled a senior subordinate for saying publicly, "It's fun to shoot some people."

Lt. Gen. James N. Mattis, an infantry officer who has commanded Marines in both Afghanistan (news - web sites) and Iraq (news - web sites), made the comments Tuesday while speaking to a forum in San Diego about strategies for the war on terror. Mattis is the commanding general of the Marine Corps Combat Development Command in Quantico, Va.

According to an audio recording of Mattis' remarks, he said, "Actually, it's a lot of fun to fight. You know, it's a hell of a hoot. ... It's fun to shoot some people. I'll be right upfront with you, I like brawling."

He added, "You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn't wear a veil," Mattis continued. "You know, guys like that ain't got no manhood left anyway. So it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them."

Thursday, Gen. Mike Hagee, commandant of the Marine Corps, issued a statement saying, "I have counseled him concerning his remarks and he agrees he should have chosen his words more carefully."

"While I understand that some people may take issue with the comments made by him, I also know he intended to reflect the unfortunate and harsh realities of war," Hagee said. "Lt. Gen. Mattis often speaks with a great deal of candor."

Hagee also praised Mattis, calling him "one of this country's bravest and most experienced military leaders."

He said the commitment of Marines "helps to provide us the fortitude to take the lives of those who oppress others or threaten this nation's security. This is not something we relish, yet we accept it as a reality in our profession of arms."

He said he was confident Mattis would continue to serve.

According to Mattis' biography, he commanded, as a lieutenant colonel, an assault battalion during the first war with Iraq. During the war in Afghanistan, he commanded the 1st Marine Expeditionary Brigade; in the second war in Iraq, he commanded the 1st Marine Division during the invasion and early period after the war.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
True but you used to noone wooried about how Patton wiping out the Waffen SS would play on the German street.
Gen Mattis had a PR problem when he said in 2001 "The United States Marine Corps now owns a peice fo Afghanistan"
I think they kept him away from the press for a while unitl now
bottom line is it is fun to kill our current oh so deserving enemies and I think everyone is sleeping just fine at night

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ADM Richard Macke got in real hot water and was forced to retire early as CINCPAC in 1995 for saying the following:

During a Nov. 17 news conference in Washington, D.C., Macke told reporters that the sailor and two Marines accused of raping the Okinawan girl were "absolutely stupid for the price they paid to rent the car, they could have had a girl."

While it might have been true, the commander of all US forces in the Pacific has no business saying it, especially in a public arena. The same goes for all flag officers in the US military who are held up as examples of our military at home and across the world. Those of us in the military are held to higher standard, as well we should be, and the standard is raised as you move up in rank and seniority. While he might feel that way, the remarks are completely inappropriate in a public forum.

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
Our country needs great men such as Gen Mattis. There is too much sugarcoating, too much PC, to much BS. It is a relief to me to hear one of our leaders speak from the heart rather than some bureaucratic crap that is meant to fall softly on those ears that hear it. But, for self preservation of the military...alas...words must be chosen carefully...

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I don't have a need to kill people, however, i don't think i'd have any problems wasting some of those pukes. I firmly believe some people truly suck and need to be aborted from this world in a very violent way. If i am the instrument of that violence, I'll sleep perfectly well at night. I like to think of myself as the Gene Pool Lifeguard - YOU! OUTTA THE POOL!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The General is Right, BUT:

This is post Tailhook '92 and you can't talk that way and get away with it. The General knows it -- but he just let it roll ... "Damn the Torpedoes." Unfortunately, there are too many microphones around today, too many agenda-driven lurking media. And, I suppose, too many people about with soft spots in the top of their skulls drinking Starbuck's, driving Volvos, and wearing Patagonia windbreakers.

This is not a new problem, however. Rudyard Kipling noticed the dichotomy on how the civilian population responds to things military and treats military personnel way back in the late part of the 19th century.
kipling.gif
picbri.jpg

Excerpts from "TOMMY" :​

I WENT into a public-’ouse to get a pint o’ beer,
The publican ’e up an’ sez, “We serve no red-coats here.”

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but ’adn’t none for me;

Yes, makin’ mock o’ uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an’ they’re starvation cheap;

We aren’t no thin red ’eroes, nor we aren’t no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;

You talk o’ better food for us, an’ schools, an’ fires, an’ all:
We’ll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.

For it’s Tommy this, an’ Tommy that, an’ “Chuck him out, the brute!”
But it’s “Saviour of ’is country” when the guns begin to shoot

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
PropStop said:
I don't have a need to kill people, however, i don't think i'd have any problems wasting some of those pukes. I firmly believe some people truly suck and need to be aborted from this world in a very violent way. If i am the instrument of that violence, I'll sleep perfectly well at night. I like to think of myself as the Gene Pool Lifeguard - YOU! OUTTA THE POOL!

Damn straight . . . too many times I watch the news and find myself channelling 'Buster' Kilrain from Gettysburg . . . Reading that article was worth it just to watch the PC types get their knickers in a twist about it. Note how they mention that as soon as the General said what he said, the whole room started laughing and applauding . . .

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Grant said:
Damn right. Its nice to hear people in high places speak their mind.

I believe that the stars on his shoulders are unfortunately the only reason he could say this and still be in the uniform today....

You or I wouldn't last as long...

Imagine a squadron CO saying this in public...BOOM...instant removal for "loss of confidence."

r/
G

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
thumper said:
A4,
That's my favorite poem.
Then you are a man of quality and discernment, Thumper ... Watch out for those "Zoomies" in and around your airspace --- BTW, "Zoomies" spell-checks as "Zombies"(?).

updatba.gif
ROGER BALL !!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
u.s.av8r said:
Not true, not true. The higher they go, the harder they fall. Rank is directly proportional to profile. If a squadron CO said it, it would've made local and maybe regional news. He would've gotten a "WTF John?" from his CG. But a 4-star said it, and it becomes a national media target.
Disclaimer: Yeah, it's all my own speculation and opinion...

Concur...I'm guessing the repucussion from this on his career could be a sooner rather than later resignation from him.

But to J Q Public, it would appear not much was done.

Sort of like officer's punishment with a pun or non-pun letter or reprimand. May not hurt at the time, but it will sting when it comes time for new orders and/or promotion.

r/
G

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Funny thing about the current dust-up with the General : --- a former "amigo" of mine, USNA '69, Marine, Infantry, later Armor, retired w/27 years as an O-5 (did he make some General unhappy??); has now gone over to the "Dark Side" and is a self-styled ex-pat living and writing in Spain. Even married (4th !!) a Frenchwoman, if you will excuse my language. You know all the rest -- supported Kerry 100%+ in the recent go-'round, etc ... but I digress ...

Back to the point: He described his friend and former staff college buddy --- one Gen. "Jimmy" Mattis --- as his source, during the political campaign, of a "we should not be here" point of view regarding Iraq and the War on Terror as it is being prosecuted. Mi Amigo and I had a difference of opinion (actually, several) and he relied heavily on "Jimmy" for the weight of authority for his anti-war opinions ...

Quote:
Lt. Gen. James N. Mattis... ""Actually, it's a lot of fun to fight. You know, it's a hell of a hoot. ... It's fun to shoot some people. I'll be right upfront with you ..."

Ironic?? Hmmmmm .... I wonder what mi "Amigo" thinks of his friend "Jimmy" now ... ???

updatba.gif
ROGER BALL !!

Status
Not open for further replies.