• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LOW Altitude OCF Video

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ladies and gentlemen, I present . . . inertial coupling! Holy crap . . .

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In the F-14, multiple aileron rolls were a prohibited manuever. One aileron roll and a pause, then another and a pause, etc., were okay ... If you do multiple the nose can just start to go on you. What happened to that Hornet could happen in an F-14 even under normal g loading. Nasty departure he had...and a nice recovery considering the altitude.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Freaking NMCI. From what you guys have said, sounds like multiple aileron rolls? Prohibited by NATOPS in the Hornet. Same limitation as Schnugg mentioned.

Access to this site has been denied in accordance with Navy policy to safeguard the security posture and/or to maintain the operational integrity of the NMCI. If there is an operational requirement to access this website or link, contact the NAVNETWARCOM NMCI GNOC Detachment. Please include the exact URL/website and the date/time of attempted access with the operational requirement:

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Supposedly it's an F/A-18 doing some 0'g rolls. Check out the altitude he recovered at...

They showed this to us at ASO back in the stone age. As I recall, this was part of the testing of the bungee feel system for the Blues done at Pax River and validating it for multiple rolls in the show routine. There was this video and another they showed of an F-102 (6?) breaking up in flight as examples of roll coupling.

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
Everybody knows that multiple ailron rolls is the only way to beat a bandit in the F-14.

That is, if you're Mav and the bandit is Viper. ;)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Zero-zero also includes zero VSI and zero degrees bank angle. You can be at low altitude, high sink rate and/or past 90 degrees bank angle in a "zero-zero" seat and still be screwed.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Zero-zero also includes zero VSI and zero degrees bank angle. You can be at low altitude, high sink rate and/or past 90 degrees bank angle in a "zero-zero" seat and still be screwed.

Rog. Thanks...

<<<<<<------Flies P-3's...and C-12's and T-34's...:D

Wow, great video, thanks for posting. But this leads video me to some questions. This should probably be in the stupid aviation questions but....

Also I'm not asking for any specifics on any jet but, in general.

1. What is most likely to have caused this? Did the pilot input rudder, or some other control, as one of the people who commented suggested?

2. Why do this at 0 G?

3. Once at 0 G is only input supposed to be aileron?

EDIT:
Just realized there was something to research in Nittany03's post. Trying to wrap my head around "inertial coupling" ...

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Wow, great video, thanks for posting. But this leads video me to some questions. This should probably be in the stupid aviation questions but....

Also I'm not asking for any specifics on any jet but, in general.

1. What is most likely to have caused this? Did the pilot input rudder, or some other control, as one of the people who commented suggested?

2. Why do this at 0 G?

3. Once at 0 G is only input supposed to be aileron?

EDIT:
Just realized there was something to research in Nittany03's post. Trying to wrap my head around "inertial coupling" ...

http://history.nasa.gov/monograph12/ch8.htm