• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LOW Altitude OCF Video

I think inertial coupling has to do with the centrifugal force, created by the rolling aircraft, acting on the mass at the ends of the fuselage. The aircraft becomes unstable, still rolling aircraft starts to pitch, and eventually tumble out of control. Accurate?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I think inertial coupling has to do with the centrifugal force, created by the rolling aircraft, acting on the mass at the ends of the fuselage. The aircraft becomes unstable, still rolling aircraft starts to pitch, and eventually tumble out of control. Accurate?

Good definition. There are a couple other forces at work too, mostly with the center of pressure shifting aft to the point that the the tail and wings are pretty ineffectual. In some cases the airplane will break up from the centrifugal forces. The F-100 was well known for this and I searched for a video and couldn't find one.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As I understand it, 'coupling' happens when a movement in one axis (roll) results in an undesired movement in another (pitch or yaw). This wobbling effect can become divergent and result in high AOA flight conditions and thus departure.

The easiest definition of OCF that I have found is this. A control surface is designed to exert a certain force on an aircraft at a certain point to help it do its thing.

However, in certain situations, the inertial forces already acting on the jets are such that they overcome the ability of the flight controls to control anything. This is what is known as a departure from controlled flight.

Edit: HILARIOUS quote from that article: "Of course, dropping a heavy bomb in a populated area is not considered very good practice, but evidently no one was aware of the incident. As a result, nothing was ever said about it, and the model, to this day, is probably buried 15-feet deep in the mud somewhere around Poquoson."

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
The easiest definition of OCF that I have found is this. A control surface is designed to exert a certain force on an aircraft at a certain point to help it do its thing.

NATOPS definition of OCF: The aircraft stops responding to control imputs. i.e. You push nose over, nose doesn't go over.

I can't believe they were doing that at 4K. Depending on the date of the video (looks old), could have been before 10.7 (the current version of the flight control software).