• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNU-OCS

Night arrested carrier landings

I was watching a documentary on carrier's and naval aviators on the military channel, my addiction, and I was wondering if the pilots who land on the carriers at night do so with the aid of night vision goggles or if they go strictly on the lights of the carrier deck and instruments.

Thanks

MasterBates

Tailhook = no NVGs
Helo/Osprey = Can use NVGs
Harrier, I THINK can use NVGs, but I'll let one of the Harrier guys answer that.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let me introduce you to Nose who sponsors a thread to deal with questions like this....

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let me introduce you to Nose who sponsors a thread to deal with questions like this....
Wow. Someone merged it as I was halfway through doing so. Talk about quick on the draw . . . :icon_tong

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
......I was wondering if the pilots who land on the carriers at night do so with .... the lights of the carrier deck and instruments.

Thanks
In days of yore, we used to smoke cigarettes and drink canned Coke in Marshal so as to calm our nerves and decrease night visual acuity in order to not become panicky when we saw the carrier deck lights or flew instruments. :)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow. Someone merged it as I was halfway through doing so. Talk about quick on the draw . . . :icon_tong

Well, I gave fair warning at 3:56PM....and then executed the merge. Pretty sure we answered this same question less than a month ago.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Well, I gave fair warning at 3:56PM....and then executed the merge. Pretty sure we answered this same question less than a month ago.
Does that make it an even stupider question, and thus even more applicable to this thread? :D

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
In days of yore, we used to smoke cigarettes and drink canned Coke in Marshal so as to calm our nerves and decrease night visual acuity in order to not become panicky when we saw the carrier deck lights or flew instruments. :)
More truth in that than most would ever believe. ;)

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor

God, that's motivating...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Unfortunately they took away the cockpit ashtrays. Plus, the V-22 doesn't have the "lunchbox"-style mapcase the -46 did-no handy place for my Coke.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Unfortunately they took away the cockpit ashtrays. Plus, the V-22 doesn't have the "lunchbox"-style mapcase the -46 did-no handy place for my Coke.

I'm gonna make millions of dollars when I sell helo cup holders to the military. The 60S also has no good place to put a half full coke without fear of it spilling on something.

phrogpilot73

I'm gonna make millions of dollars when I sell helo cup holders to the military. The 60S also has no good place to put a half full coke without fear of it spilling on something.
You should probably market them to pilots, not the "military"... NAVAIR would get involved and it would take forever to get a flight clearance and hit the fleet. Not to mention that squadrons would have to open purchase them, and we know what a squadron CO's response to that idea would be.

However, if they were available for pilots to purchase... Stand by and watch the money roll in!

badger16

None
So what are the factors for a Military aircraft landing at a civilian airport when there are larger civillian and Military bases in the area?Is it pretty variable on the flight or is there a "reason" for landing at one verse the other? I am in Scottsdale and this weekend 4 -18s, I think Marine from VMFA-242, came into the KSDL. I figured it would make more sense to go to Luke or Sky Harbor(PHX airport) since there is Military presence at each.So, Why? Better Restaurants? Faster Turn around?

Status
Not open for further replies.