• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So what are the factors for a Military aircraft landing at a civilian airport when there are larger civillian and Military bases in the area?Is it pretty variable on the flight or is there a "reason" for landing at one verse the other? I am in Scottsdale and this weekend 4 -18s, I think Marine from VMFA-242, came into the KSDL. I figured it would make more sense to go to Luke or Sky Harbor(PHX airport) since there is Military presence at each.So, Why? Better Restaurants? Faster Turn around?

As long as there is contract fuel and a place for you to park, it's game on. Staying overnight may require additional security hoops to jump through, and Prowlers still need a power cart and huffer to get started, but Hornets aren't bound by that limitation. If there is a legitimate reason for choosing a civilian field over a military or dual use one, then it's all good.

Brett

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
So what are the factors for a Military aircraft landing at a civilian airport when there are larger civillian and Military bases in the area?Is it pretty variable on the flight or is there a "reason" for landing at one verse the other? I am in Scottsdale and this weekend 4 -18s, I think Marine from VMFA-242, came into the KSDL. I figured it would make more sense to go to Luke or Sky Harbor(PHX airport) since there is Military presence at each.So, Why? Better Restaurants? Faster Turn around?

ASU girls

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Unfortunately they took away the cockpit ashtrays.....
Not a problem. We used the screw-off bottom of our GI-issue goose-neck flashlights.

The lesson: Adapt and overcome .... :)

**COUGH**

3181V4PPJ1L._AA280_.jpg

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not a problem. We used the screw-off bottom of our GI-issue goose-neck flashlights.

The lesson: Adapt and overcome .... :)

**COUGH**

3181V4PPJ1L._AA280_.jpg
Sure, most guys used the bottom of the flashlight. But I always preferred the kneeboard.

Slide it 90 degrees on your knee, unscrew the cap for the battery compartment (and who ever put batteries in that thing anyway? That’s what a Grimes light was for, right?), and all the ashes and butts went in the battery compartment. As an added bonus, if you needed to do some hand pilot stuff, you could put your smoke temporarily in the little spring pencil holder thing on the kneeboard.

Navy innovations. :D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sure, most guys used the bottom of the flashlight. But I always preferred the kneeboard.

Slide it 90 degrees on your knee, unscrew the cap for the battery compartment (and who ever put batteries in that thing anyway? That’s what a Grimes light was for, right?), and all the ashes and butts went in the battery compartment. As an added bonus, if you needed to do some hand pilot stuff, you could put your smoke temporarily in the little spring pencil holder thing on the kneeboard.

Navy innovations. :D

Ahh, the issue kneeboard and the POS 90 degree bend flashlight. Both anachronisms, thank goodness.

9gplus.jpg

surefire_l1.jpg

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Sure, most guys used the bottom of the flashlight. But I always preferred the kneeboard..... Navy innovations. :D
Ah, yeas ... the kneeboard.

That MIGHT have worked -- I saw your kneeboard application used on occasion -- but my "kneeboard" (two-legged version -- pictured below with blue helmet seated in cockpit) usually frowned on my dumping ashes and putting out butts on his flight suit.

Unless we were at the O' Club -- then he didn't notice. :D

dsc01916smallkys8.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Only problem with this pic is the "kid" in it --- I never saw a Handler who let anyone lower than a cranky, crusty ol' Chief with coffee-stained teeth get near the Ouija Board .... :D

Hmm, there are exceptions....just stumbled on this one

web_030501-N-6817C-237.jpg

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
The gentleman on the left in yellow has the "oh shit whats he moving around" look

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just want to know where to get one of those spiffy khaki jackets...CNT?Nomex? Who cares? Wear one and dare people to tell you that the President was out of uniform...

Status
Not open for further replies.