• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBvsSNA

26. What % get jets?

MasterBates told me in the chat room that approximately 25% of the Navy's aircraft are jets. I do not know if this means that 25% of pilot slots are for jets. Since there are two pilots per helicopter and one per jet (i think...), that could mean 15% or so of slots are open for jet pilots. I've also heard that it totally depends on the date of your OCS-- the powers that be might have a ton of open jet spots, and everyone who wants jets gets it, or there could be only one slot that they are looking to fill and everyone else gets helis and props. If anyone knows more than me please elaborate, as I am also very interested in this question. Also, any ideas of how to predict the needs of the Navy (ie. finish the application on a certain date to try to time what OCS to go to, in order to maximize the chances of getting jets)? I imagine that is quite hard if not impossible, and it's probably a pretty stupid question, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

MasterBates told me in the chat room that approximately 25% of the Navy's aircraft are jets. I do not know if this means that 25% of pilot slots are for jets. Since there are two pilots per helicopter and one per jet (i think...), that could mean 15% or so of slots are open for jet pilots. I've also heard that it totally depends on the date of your OCS-- the powers that be might have a ton of open jet spots, and everyone who wants jets gets it, or there could be only one slot that they are looking to fill and everyone else gets helis and props. If anyone knows more than me please elaborate, as I am also very interested in this question. Also, any ideas of how to predict the needs of the Navy (ie. finish the application on a certain date to try to time what OCS to go to, in order to maximize the chances of getting jets)? I imagine that is quite hard if not impossible, and it's probably a pretty stupid question, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

It was a Airwarriors joke, not a serious question. You'll learn in time.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
MOVLAS .... it's a skill; an art form, if you will.... it's also COMPLETE TRUST between the pilot and the LSO ... as it should be, always .... :)

I just remember "Ninety-nine, MOVLAS recovery" and the subsequent delighted giggling from the pilots, especially near the end of the line period when they were eyeing the greenie board for Top Hook.

As for the patch design thingy - there are rules, but this is the Navy. Tradition trumps regulation. So really it's "patches shall be this...unless they aren't."

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also, any ideas of how to predict the needs of the Navy (ie. finish the application on a certain date to try to time what OCS to go to, in order to maximize the chances of getting jets)? I imagine that is quite hard if not impossible, and it's probably a pretty stupid question...

Since this is the Stupid Question thread, you put it in the right place. Short answer: don't even bother trying to game the system in order to "get jets". The Navy has trouble predicting the Needs of the Navy, so you sure as hell aren't going to get it right. Work hard, get through OCS and the Program, get those Wings of Gold and be happy with what you wind up flying (and you will, even if you're initially disapponted). It's all Naval Aviatin'.

IBvsSNA

Since this is the Stupid Question thread, you put it in the right place. Short answer: don't even bother trying to game the system in order to "get jets". The Navy has trouble predicting the Needs of the Navy, so you sure as hell aren't going to get it right.

Thanks for the heads up. That's what I figured but I thought I'd throw it out there.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
What is a pipeline?

Pipeline refers to your training flow. for SNA 'studs' your pipeline will consist of jets, helos, or props (disregarding 'tailhook' at this point because i'm lazy).

normally something like this: COMMISSIONING/IFS/API/PRIMARY, then you 'select' or are selected for your pipeline:

after PRIMARY you pack up and move to continue on with your specific platforms advanced training, i.e. JET ADVANCED (meridian/kingsville), HELO ADVANCED (whiting field), PROPS (corpus). Then you wing, and then off to the RAG (FRS) to learn a specific model aircraft. Soon thereafter you join the mythical fleet that has been rumored about in flight school but never substantiated.

ergo, COMMISSION-->IFS-->API-->PRIMARY-->ADVANCED-->RAG-->FLEET.

it does have some bends in it, sometimes early on, and sometimes around instrument checks where you may spew out into the SWO world.

Theres also those big jet liner looking things that fly out of oklahoma. (E-6's, not to be confused with EA-6Bs). You can choose that as well.

So if you can't think past 90 knots like myself they send you to the helo pipeline where you get to never quite learn how a helicopter actually works and just hope the rotor keeps spinning. They also take away your parachute and give you passengers.

feel free to correct as necessary.

Nose

pilot
What is a hinge? Heard it tossed around AW a few times.

Called "Hinge" because at the same time the brain is removed (upon pinning on gold oak leaves) a hinge is installed in the back of the neck to make it easier to nod in agreement to everything the skipper says, no matter how asinine.

Nose

pilot
We always did Omelets at rats.. And of course, Tabasco popcorn... Ocassional slider or what was that... The Heart-Attack??? Barney something or another???

Barney Clark, named after the first recipient of an artifical heart. Usually a slider with cheese and a fried egg on top.

Enterprising JOs in my air wing developed the "Jarvick 7" named after the first successful artifical heart.

Bun
Mayo
Bacon
Fried Egg
Cheese
Hamburger patty
Bun​

Not for the faint of.....heart.​

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mod note: in recognition of interest, vitality of posts and pertinent subject matter, thread elevated out of War Zone and "stuck" for visibility. Nice job, Nose!

Status
Not open for further replies.