• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
What is "dog"? (ice cream that looks like a dog pooping)
What is the black line of death? (mystical line that gets you in trouble if you cross.....your geographic boundary can be different from what airops thinks it is, which is different from what the navigator thinks it is, when in doubt trust the E-2)
What is a hotdog call? (see above question and ask an E-2 bubba)

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
When Hornets make their ball call they always say something that sounds like "mobius"... or something like that. What is that?

Also, how do phones and internet get off the ship? DSN and POTS. I'm sure they go through a satellite. Is it any more complicated than that?

Who is the TAO, besides the guy calling all the drills over the 1MC. Is he a SWO? Is he on the carrier or somewhere else?

Why does the physical location of Red Crown move all the time?

What is actually involved with CATTC/Pri-Fly watches? I know they exist, but have no idea what they do.
How's that for stupid questions.... :)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...when in doubt trust the E-2...

Good advice in general. :D

Speaking of wings, I saw a Mah-reen API stud bombing around with a set of wings that looked kinda like NFO wings: two anchors, but with a compass rose in the middle vice the shield. I vaguely remember seeing a picture of them somewhere as "navigator" wings, but I thought they were a back-in-the-day deal, from when they distinguished between various flavors of NFO/Observer. Someone told me they were for Marine Herk navs. The stud in question had a rack of ribbons, including a Good Conduct, so he was obviously a prior and that would jibe with that, but it's the one and only time I've ever seen them. I just figgered they wore Aircrew wings. Anyone know what that's all about?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When Hornets make their ball call they always say something that sounds like "mobius"... or something like that. What is that?

MOVELAS (sp?). It's a hand-operated system (operated by Paddles) used when the "real" lens can't keep up with a pitching/rolling deck. They don't always say it, just when it's being used. Used for practice fairly frequently. Considered "money" because as long as you do what it's showing and follow Paddles' call, it's a more-or-less guaranteed OK.

Also, how do phones and internet get off the ship? DSN and POTS. I'm sure they go through a satellite. Is it any more complicated than that?

Nope.

Who is the TAO, besides the guy calling all the drills over the 1MC. Is he a SWO? Is he on the carrier or somewhere else?

Tactical Action Officer. He sits in CDC with the big screens. He's essentially the Captain's watchstander in CDC. May or may not be a SWO, frequently it's a brownshoe, but he's a ship staffer-type. TAO is a big qual to get for ladder-climbing purposes. Among other things, he's the only guy on the boat besides the Captain with weapons-release authority.

Why does the physical location of Red Crown move all the time?

Boats are like that. Red Crown is usually on the shotgun cruiser.

What is actually involved with CATTC/Pri-Fly watches? I know they exist, but have no idea what they do.

You mean the Air Wing watches, right? Not the shoes and the enlisted dudes? CATCC and Tower Flower watches exist to give the Air Boss and CAG someone to yell at when one of your bubbas screws up. Officially, they're there as an aircraft-type SME to advise the Boss and CATCC on what your bubbas need, what happens during a particular emergency, etc and so on. Tower Flower watches are usually fun, you just stand around in Pri-Fly for the launch and recovery and watch the planes go roundy-roundy. Someone calls for a rep, field the question. If it's something bad, call the skipper.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Good advice in general. :D

Speaking of wings, I saw a Mah-reen API stud bombing around with a set of wings that looked kinda like NFO wings: two anchors, but with a compass rose in the middle vice the shield. I vaguely remember seeing a picture of them somewhere as "navigator" wings, but I thought they were a back-in-the-day deal, from when they distinguished between various flavors of NFO/Observer. Someone told me they were for Marine Herk navs. The stud in question had a rack of ribbons, including a Good Conduct, so he was obviously a prior and that would jibe with that, but it's the one and only time I've ever seen them. I just figgered they wore Aircrew wings. Anyone know what that's all about?

What you said. They're navigator wings for enlisted Herc Navs.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I keep seeing some instructors wearing a set of wings that are not quite regulation Naval Aviator wings. The top has what looks like ruffled feathers. One instructor told me they were Coastie wings, but I have also seen marines wearnig them any ideas?

Where they these? This is the only thing I could think of based on that description.

combataircrewman.png

Nose

pilot
MOVELAS (sp?). It's a hand-operated system (operated by Paddles) used when the "real" lens can't keep up with a pitching/rolling deck. They don't always say it, just when it's being used. Used for practice fairly frequently. Considered "money" because as long as you do what it's showing and follow Paddles' call, it's a more-or-less guaranteed OK.

MOVLAS = Manually Operated Visual Landing Aid System. Just like Fester said, often used in pitching deck (I preferred to just go with IFLOLS and do talk downs, but that's just me - Mr Vegas) also used incase of problem with IFLOLS. It was also an option when you couldn't get a "legal" setting for lens.

Pilots like MOVLAS because all they have to do is keep it on centerline and on speed and do what we tell you. OK pass.

In my Air Wing, we did 1 day and 1 night MOVLAS recovery every day. Initially, we would publish on the air plan which recoveries were MOVLAS, but we noticed that OPSOs and COs were glomming on to that event, so we later made it more random.

Status
Not open for further replies.