• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...Edit: "Sweepers, sweepers, man your brooms. Give the ship a clean sweepdown fore and aft. Sweep down all something something, can't remember the rest but I think squeeze posted it here!"
Close, but no cigar....

The salty Bosun's always preface everything with: "NOW" ... :eek:

As in: "NOW, sweepers, sweepers, man your brooms, sweepers, sweepers, man your brooms .... NOW give the ship a clean sweep down fore and aft, sweep down all lower decks, ladderbacks, and passageways .... NOW lay to the fantail (or brow) with all trash (for dumping) ... NOW sweepers, sweepers, man your brooms !!! "

You gotta love it ...
:)

Nose

pilot
When the XO of a ship is traditionally referred to as "Commander" regardless of rank and the CO as "Captain," again, regardless of rank.

Didn't know the part about XO being called "Commander" I was thinking more on the lines of a Commodore (who, by the way, isn't a Commodore, but a Captain. Clear?)

AOM=All Officer Meeting. APM=All Personnel meeting??

All Pilot meeting. In other words, we won't bore you ground pounders while we talk about aviation stuff...

A "below average but safe" pass.

Yep. Carried a bit further:
1. Deviation with no correction. "No correction, No Grade!"
2. Improper correction to a deviation.
3. Failure to respond to an imperative call from LSO. (I'd usually wave them off for that, just to see if they were listening!)

Cut lights=green lights on the IFLOLS/FLOLS which signal "roger ball" when first flashed. After that, they signal a power call from Paddles.

True, but in the old days (Steel men and wooden ships, etc) a cut was a signal to chop power and land. No angle meant no Bolters. Land now or you kill people. "Cut" call (but not lights!) still used for barricade passes...

The catapult crew has pressed the button, but the cat did not go bang. Keep your power up until told to throttle back; you many suddenly find yourself in the air anyway when it spontaneously goes off . . .

Had one on my last cruise. Sat in tension at full power for 3 1/2 minutes!!
Not very fun...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Close, but no cigar....

As in: "NOW, sweepers, sweepers, man your brooms, sweepers, sweepers, man your brooms .... NOW give the ship a clean sweep down fore and aft, sweep down all lower decks, ladderbacks, and passageways .... NOW lay to the fantail (or brow) with all trash (for dumping) ... NOW sweepers, sweepers, man your brooms !!! "

You gotta love it ...:)

Or on my deployments it came out more like this:

Thweepers, thweepers, man your brooms.....blah, blah....thweep down all blower decks and bladderwells....blah, blah....now thweepers."

We'd stop in the p-way look at each other and ask WTF is a blowerdeck and a bladderwell? :icon_smil

Good times. Also was on a cruise where the CO really liked Botswain whistle calls...in some ship's spaces it was cause for short term heairng loss. Many a 1MC was covered with paper and tape for that reason.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Good times. Also was on a cruise where the CO really liked Botswain whistle calls...in some ship's spaces it was cause for short term heairng loss. Many a 1MC was covered with paper and tape for that reason.
We just disabled the one by our stateroom......it interfered with Xbox time, which we had linked to multiple staterooms......in addition to our illegal internet connections.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....True, but in the old days (Steel men and wooden ships, etc) a cut was a signal to chop power and land....
Or cruisin' with STOOFs in the "jangle age" (jets & angles) --- jet LSO's learned to cut and make it work. The REAL challenge was blue-water cuts @ night when the ship was gasping to make 20-25 KTS and there was no natural wind. :)

stooffz7.jpg

phrogpilot73

We just disabled the one by our stateroom......it interfered with Xbox time, which we had linked to multiple staterooms......in addition to our illegal internet connections.
We had one inside our stateroom, and another one outside our stateroom (they were in the exact same location, just on different sides of the bulkhead), needless to say - we disabled ours. I promised PSW that we reconnected it when we left...

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Close, but no cigar....

You gotta love it ...

I never heard them say "Now", but back when A4s was flying brooms were still considered a "high tech novelty", so things may have changed.:D

I've also heard about the Bos'n who got Captains mast for adding "Sweep, motherfvckers...SWEEP!!"

Probably just an urban legen, but funny nonetheless.

HuggyU2

None
Stupid question: why is the Navy so reluctant (my impression) to allow NFO's to transition to pilot?

GroundPounder

CDR Ben Cloud ... who was in "charge" of our CVA race riots. :D

I met him later when I stated in a loud voice that "I saw Bro' Cloud" when queried @ a Hong Kong pub ... the only problem being he was standing right behind me. :eek:

I guess you had to be there to get the full implication .... :)

A4, if your looking for Capt. Cloud, ( or avoiding him ) I think that he is on the board of the http://www.aerospacemuseum.org/.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

You gotta love it ...
And the "NOW" was preceded by the Boatswain's Mate's Pipe – (not "whistle," Schnugg :icon_smil ) - or "call."

Of the several standard calls, the Boatwain's Sweepers was the loooooongest winded, and ear piercing. It drove me nuts while trying to get some sleep before a midnight alert-5.

Sweepers

http://home.earthlink.net/~bosun-m8/id20.html
http://www.npc.navy.mil/CommandSupport/NavyMusic/AUDIO.htm

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And the "NOW" was preceded by the Boatswain's Mate's Pipe – (not "whistle," Schnugg :icon_smil ) - or "call."

Of the several standard calls, the Boatwain's Sweepers was the loooooongest winded, and ear piercing. It drove me nuts while trying to get some sleep before a midnight alert-5.

Sweepers

http://home.earthlink.net/~bosun-m8/id20.html
http://www.npc.navy.mil/CommandSupport/NavyMusic/AUDIO.htm

No worries, Cat.

Call it what you will...but for me and my JO wardroom buddies, it was the freakin' whistle from hell.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
How high is 1 angels? I gather its 1000 feet. Is this just a TACAIR term or do Helos and maritime use it as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.