• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Debatable. I would say it is a tie between "Liberty Call" and "Mail Call."

I don't think it's really debateable. Snail mail is cool when underway, but getting off the ship after two weeks at sea easily beats mail call. Need proof? Check out the people running to mail call after getting in port, they're all on duty.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Is everyone supposed to answer them if we know them or is this just going to be the thread of stupid questions with no answers. Either way here is my stupid question: I've gathered that pilots in training apparently are called studs, but why?

Nose

pilot
Is everyone supposed to answer them if we know them or is this just going to be the thread of stupid questions with no answers. Either way here is my stupid question: I've gathered that pilots in training apparently are called studs, but why?

Because SNA's are too busy to spell "Student" completely. (Too many beers to drink)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was wrong, twice. Turns out it is covered by instruction and the triangle direction doesn't matter.

But am I wrong that CAGs are usually pointed down/typewings pointed up? Anyone, Heyjoe/A4s?

I'd venture the answer "yes" as a general rule although there could be exceptions due to exclusion for designs that predated the instruction and are "grandfathered".

CSFWP certainly points up

csfwp.jpg

But so does CVW-9 (only one of Lemoore based CAGs that does though)

tcvw9s.gif

Rest of CAGs calling Lemoore home do point down

Tcvw11.gif

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
I've gathered that pilots in training apparently are called studs, but why?

STUDents...STUDs...studs...

...plus the typically SNA returns home a hero in the middle of primary and generally considers himself hot sh*t, so it's only natural.

EDIT:...and yes, far too much beer. Hence the annoyance when the work day lasts longer than 4 hours.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is a 1MC?

It's the shipwide intercom system used to pass meaningless information like "sweepers, sweepers, man your brooms, give the ship a clean sweep down fore and aft, sweep down all lower decks, ladderbacks, and passageways, sweepers." (answer to another question) and other shit that only the Navy cares about. 1MCs exist in staterooms, but have a nasty habit of shedding wires shortly after being inhabited.

The 5MC is the flight deck intercom system.

Status
Not open for further replies.