• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for a female perspective on OCS

nhzero

As far as having enlisted family members, my class had the daughter of a former MCPON, and she got her first salute from him.

Boy do I remember that! She still comes up in conversation.... All I can say about that in public forums is that it REALLY helps to have family in high places.

Well.... if your locker and knowledge are solid AND your class team wants you to pass, you will pass. If they don't think you're ready to move on, you will fail. It's that simple. If your shit ISN'T right, then you won't pass anyway. But if your shit is right and they don't like you, you won't pass. They can ALWAYS find hits.

RLP is purely subjective (the locker and knowledge are certainly required, but mostly a dog and pony show).

BELIEVE it.

I'm 100% behind the above. I personally watched my DI pass up at least 3 hits right under both our noses. The guy really liked me, since I was able to stick it out for 3 days with 5 large hemorrhoids that later needed surgical removal and a 3 week recovery at home. Once I came back, I went through the Saturday bonding all over again, and showed my new class just how loud "loud" was.

Not saying I was all that, because I certainly wasn't, just saying that attitude is everything, and it really is a subjective measure by the class team.

Also, as a Candi-O, while grading my second RLP, I watched two drill instructors lock eyes, and one made the "throat-cut" gesture. The guy failed.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Ok, since if you actually search for "RLP" it doesn't come back with anything since its so short and I'll be nice for Thanksgiving.... Room Locker and Personnel inspections. Go here for more answers.

PS, use the search function on this site....please.

Feifei

Anyone know what happens to the OP? Did she pass the PT and ASTB and went to OCS?

I'm around the same stage as the OP when she first posted this thread. Would be nice to know what happened to her.

But reading this post really scares me a bit lol.

lyricsavvy

SWO, ENG-R- KILL!
Anyone know what happens to the OP? Did she pass the PT and ASTB and went to OCS?

I'm around the same stage as the OP when she first posted this thread. Would be nice to know what happened to her.

But reading this post really scares me a bit lol.
Hello!
I've chosen to visit this forum sparingly as I do know our DI's read the postings...am none too eager to dig myself an even deeper hole! =-)
Be that as it may, I did well on my ASTBs and have been professionally recommended for OCS.
Not all the Boards for my 3 choices have convened, and so to not jinx myself, I'll refrain from posting until right before I head off to OCS.
I do hope all the best to those who are working towards Service within our Military, and thank you all for your replies and helpful advice.
Pax!

LadyNavy

Fingers Crossed!
Questions on NAVY OCS from a lady!

So I am in the process of applying for Navy OCS... I had a couple of questions, some pertaining to OCS in general for both genders, some pertaining to females only.

How many people on average are denied entrance into OCS? How many people fail out or drop out for an average class?

What are the chances that my fiance and I will be in the same graduating class? I'm guessing it probably isn't even allowed... but I figured I'd ask anyway.

People have told me you have 30 seconds to shower while in OCS. Is this true?

For women, has it been difficult for any of you as far as keeping up with the men on physical fitness activities? Climbing the wall, pull-ups, push-ups, etc?

Lastly, not of huge importance but I still have to ask... I'm getting married in a year and a half... my hair will be cut short (like the men) at OCS, correct? Passing OCS is EXTREMELY important to me, so if I need to cut my hair short, I'll do that, no problem. But for the sake of my wedding, if there is any way around it, I'd like to know. If not, then bye-bye wedding up-do.

Thanks!

exo

I don't know how many are denied entrance but I will say that I've heard stories of classes of 50ish graduating mid 20's.

Chance you guys are in the same graduating class? Slim chance that you'd even be in the same class, depending on when you applied. If you happened to start on the same day, anything can happen to push you into H for two weeks and thus ruin those plans.

I have no idea about the showering situation... but really? Who cares. It would be 30 seconds of not being beat.

Women's hair is to ear length if I remember correctly.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
So I am in the process of applying for Navy OCS... I had a couple of questions, some pertaining to OCS in general for both genders, some pertaining to females only.

How many people on average are denied entrance into OCS? How many people fail out or drop out for an average class?
I don't know how many people are denied entrance to OCS. That depends on the quality of applicants at the time as well as the needs of the Navy.

Failing out and dropping from the class are two different things. Over 90% of people who go to OCS will graduate; of those who attite, I'd say the vast majority Drop On Request (DOR) or are found to be Not Physically Qualified (NPQ). It is extremely hard to fail out of OCS if you are actually trying to pass. However, it is not unusual for 40-60% of the class to roll back. People roll back for a multitude of reasons, ranging from illness to failing the same evolution twice.

What are the chances that my fiance and I will be in the same graduating class? I'm guessing it probably isn't even allowed... but I figured I'd ask anyway.
Who knows. What I can say is that fraternization is not allowed and strictly enforced at OCS, so it might be better that you don't have the temptation.

No, but your schedule will be so tight that you'll be rushing in the head anyway.

Lastly, not of huge importance but I still have to ask... I'm getting married in a year and a half... my hair will be cut short (like the men) at OCS, correct? Passing OCS is EXTREMELY important to me, so if I need to cut my hair short, I'll do that, no problem. But for the sake of my wedding, if there is any way around it, I'd like to know. If not, then bye-bye wedding up-do.

Thanks!
Your hair will be cut short. No way around it.

el douge

This one time at band camp...
The womens hair has to be out of there eyes. And like Skim said...its chopped! Our chief has made the ladies cut there hair twice in the last 6 weeks in our class.

The shower times are very short in the first couple weeks, but after a while you're given most of the nights to your class and you can shower whenever you want. As you become more senior, you get more privileges...it just takes time. And as stated above...whatever time you have away from the DI, is advantagous. No beatings. Early on, they'll tear into you just for fun. And yes, about 60% have rolled from my class and about 7 or 8 have either DOR'd or NPQ'd. In fact we just had a guy NPQ today! And we're at the end of weeks 6! So you have to be prepared for anything!

good luck to you!

LadyNavy

Fingers Crossed!
Thanks!

Thanks, guys! Especially Spekkio. Your replies were extremely helpful. And I agree with you on perhaps avoiding temptation by not trying to get into the same class as my fiance. Besides, I think us doing it apart might be better for us... something we can accomplish on our own before our wedding.

Time to start training!

Thanks again! :p

peachesnel

I'm female and I went through OCS last year so take this for what it's worth. I applied twice for OCS before getting a yes. My class started with 53 (2 female, 51 male) and I think we finished with low 40's. People rolled in and out weekly due to illness, injury, trying to get away from our DI, or DOR's. I think we had 4 in one week. I showed up with chin length hair and they chopped it to about 2 inches with the back shaved. My class team was cool about it. Females only got the initial hair cut. Other classes weren't so lucky, so it just depends. Shower time was great except for wakeup Wednesday shower time with the female DI. Usually you have time for a quick shower (more than 30 seconds) because there aren't as any females as there are males. They really do have 30 seconds to run through the shower. Hope this helps.

P.S. About PT: don't be a wuss but if you can't hold the diamond pushup position anyore, you just can't, keep trying though. Everyone will fail at some point. And unless you have a certain ruthless DI, they will walk past you if you're putting out.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

How many and what are my chances questions are verbotten here. Your mileage may vary. If you qualify to get in and are prepared and want it enough, that will get you through.

There are any number of situations created to challenge you under stress and get you out of your comfort box. Don't get your mind blown before you get there worrying about it. Just wait until SERE school for that in spades.

For women, has it been difficult for any of you as far as keeping up with the men on physical fitness activities? Climbing the wall, pull-ups, push-ups, etc?

Now that's a good question and one I can't help you with!

Thanks!

Another part of breaking you down and building you up so don't look for "any way around it".