• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for a female perspective on OCS

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Two people were sent home after an alleged fraternization while I was at OCS. One was a prior, the other a CEC contract. Prior went back to the fleet undesignated and bumped to SN. The contract CEC was sent enlisted.

Point is: DON'T DO IT.

I'm a female that just finished OCS about two months ago. As far as showers go, it sucks in the beginning, but for the first week you really don't care what you smell like anyway. After that, whether or not there is hot water is a much bigger question than how long you have to shower.

As for keeping up with the boys... just don't be the first one to hit the deck. There will be a number of guys there that suck at PT as well. You'll never be as good as the studs, but if you can fall out with the middle of the pack then you'll have no worries. But in the end, like everything at OCS, it all depends on your CDI as to how much extra attention you'll get for being a girl. The more difficult part will be putting up with the majority of guys in your class who don't think you should be there just because you're a female. Good luck with that one.

The haircut sucks a lot, and there's no getting out of it. Just make sure this is really what you want before that point. The only thing worse than an OCS haircut is having an OCS haircut without the commission.

patschowdahead

Path to OCS

Background: I am 27 yrs old, female, hold a B.S. in Psychology with 3.1 GPA, M.S. in Criminal Justice with 3.6 GPA. I have no military background and am a recent graduate. Currently, I am in the process of applying to an M.B.A. program.

I'm interested in the Navy because of the Loan repayment plan. Additionally, finance is not the only perk the military will provide me. I seek to acquire new skills, knowledge, and abilities public academia or even the civilian world wouldn't provide with maximum benefits, so I plan to stay in the military for awhile (hopefully towards retirement).

My goals in the military are not for high ranking status but to acquire leadership, new skills, and experiences. Whether those goals will lead to the trajectory of a high ranking officer is all the better, but my purpose is that I want to improve myself not for status or recognition as a way to discount others below me but to help others and my country (I know, sounds cheesy).

Anyway, I seek affirmation on my intentions of going through enlistment first in hopes of acquiring military experience and then apply to OCS.
I want to perform my duties well with confidence and competency rather than being placed in a role of leadership after only weeks of OCS training. Anyone agree with my decison? Everyone I've talked to, including military personnel, recommend I should apply to OCS directly to avoid the B.S. of enlisted sailors. I believe it's inaccurate to label enlisted sailors as incompetent and classless or in some people's word "ghetto".

Well, I desire advices from people with good credibility to provide valid points on whether or not my plan warrants any sense or logic.

Thanks in advance!

Lobster

No military experience is required to apply for OCS, and you'd be better of applying for officer rather than going enlisted first.

A10DCC

Pro-Rec SNA
I have been enlisted since 2002 in the Air Force and have had a blast. A lot of great officers were enlisted first, but I see no sense of you enlisting just to gain experience and then apply for OCS. It sounds like you have a positive attitude, go OCS and be a great officer, and who the heck says that we (as enlisted soldiers) are "ghetto" or classless.

Feifei

Hello!
I've chosen to visit this forum sparingly as I do know our DI's read the postings...am none too eager to dig myself an even deeper hole! =-)
Be that as it may, I did well on my ASTBs and have been professionally recommended for OCS.
Not all the Boards for my 3 choices have convened, and so to not jinx myself, I'll refrain from posting until right before I head off to OCS.
I do hope all the best to those who are working towards Service within our Military, and thank you all for your replies and helpful advice.
Pax!

Hey, glad to know you made it!!! Good luck in OCS! Hopefully I'll be there soon. :)

Wrightmolly

getting into OCS

I love this discussion board. I'm going in on Monday to submit the last paperwork of my application packet and I feel like I know all I could possibly know before going in. Which is basically; "suck it up, it's going to suck no matter what and you'll be a better person for it. Also, GET IN SHAPE."I know it's going to be ridiculously hard and I'm actually kind of looking forward to it. I really want this. I can't run for crap right now but I'm working on it, and push ups are coming along. Just wanted to say thanks to all the people out there who have offered their advice (though not directed at me). Including those who made me realize that cutting off my hair is the last thing I should worry about. Wish me luck that I get in!

nhzero

Anyway, I seek affirmation on my intentions of going through enlistment first in hopes of acquiring military experience and then apply to OCS.
I want to perform my duties well with confidence and competency rather than being placed in a role of leadership after only weeks of OCS training. Anyone agree with my decison? Everyone I've talked to, including military personnel, recommend I should apply to OCS directly to avoid the B.S. of enlisted sailors. I believe it's inaccurate to label enlisted sailors as incompetent and classless or in some people's word "ghetto".

Well, I desire advices from people with good credibility to provide valid points on whether or not my plan warrants any sense or logic.

I was enlisted for 12 years before I became an officer. It certainly helped open my eyes to how enlisted people see officers, but it didn't help my career potential any.

What you need to ask yourself is whether you are willing to stay enlisted if you don't get picked up as an officer. If not, don't go enlisted. Also, there are generally more OCS slots available for civilians than there are for current military.

I'm very glad you're sticking up for the enlisted person, but it would behoove you, if you truly are looking for service rather than personal gain, to look at how much more good could you do for your country by helping those sailors under you rather than being one of those sailors and ticking off all the ways that your superiors are screwing it up, which is exactly what you're going to be doing as an E-3 or E-4 with a master's degree.

Good luck, and don't forget to lose all the preconceptions college gave you, because it's different out here in the real world...

Jlynnfly

Working on path to OCS

Hello new to this forum, trying to collect as much info as possible...:D:D
25 yr old female
BA in Business Admin, double majoring in Art
Obtained my private pilots license at the age of 17 in 55 hours
Competitive Swimmer for 11 years,
Rookie of the year and Conference Honors in College
Currently working at a Restaurant in a leadership role with every aspiration to join the Navy and follow my dreams of becoming a Pilot.
ASTB scores first time 5/5/4 44. Not wonderful I know, retaking the test in a week...

Big question is: With my background what do you think my chances are to make it into OCS?

Any suggestions or help would do wonderfully, I have been studying my butt off! I want this so bad.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Hello new to this forum, trying to collect as much info as possible...:D:D
25 yr old female
BA in Business Admin, double majoring in Art
Obtained my private pilots license at the age of 17 in 55 hours
Competitive Swimmer for 11 years,
Rookie of the year and Conference Honors in College
Currently working at a Restaurant in a leadership role with every aspiration to join the Navy and follow my dreams of becoming a Pilot.
ASTB scores first time 5/5/4 44. Not wonderful I know, retaking the test in a week...

Big question is: With my background what do you think my chances are to make it into OCS?

Any suggestions or help would do wonderfully, I have been studying my butt off! I want this so bad.

I love when people ask me what their chances are. Because I'm in such a good mood tonight I'm going to go look in my crystal ball for you and let you know that your chances are........

Oh wait I don't have one.

Just apply and forget about what your chances are. You've got no chance if you don't apply and you have a chance if you do.

I'd suggest doing a search on ASTB on this site and absorbing anything and everything you can about it. Retake it and get a better score. Workout and get in shape. Start the paperwork process now.

Other than that just drive on and don't quit. Good luck and welcome to AirWarriors.

Jlynnfly

Thanks LazersGoPEWPEW (P.S. dig your name),

And I knew the answer to my question before I even posted it. And I have every intention of giving it my all, I think my post was more a way of introducing myself and hoping someone would say "OH YEAH THEY'LL TAKE YOU..." even though there is obviously no way of knowing, maybe I just wanted to hope;)

I have actually been coming to this site for about 4 months now as a silent reader...going through scores, jotting down notes, and looking for links to as much study information as possible. Its helped me out soooo much.

My retake is in a week! Wish me luck, until then I think Ill go back to the silent reader. See you around:p

chasejj

SWO? What is this "SWO" you speak of?
Ok, I got a question for the women out there... I know that they can issue birth control at OCS, but I was wondering if I can bring my own. Here is the kicker: my insurance doesnt cover BC for ANY reason, so, being a cheap skate, I bought my own online (with no perscription). Can I bring this with me or can I simply get some from the Drs. there? I am on a 3 month on, one week off, generic seasonale type. Thanks!
chasejj

dreambrat18

Men beware!

Hey ladies this one really is for the women who have gone through OCS. What's the deal with our monthly visitor? I know some girls just stop having it with stress and lots of exercise but I don't wanna have to count on that... Everywhere I have looked online tampons and pads are never mentioned. Do they supply us or are we allowed to bring our own?
Oh and something really awkward for all the guys reading this, what happens if you're out on a run with the rest of the pack and you spring a leak? :confused:
Kinda awkward asking my OR about this seeing as he is my father's age...