• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for a female perspective on OCS

KLT

I am in contact with a girl who just got out of OCS in March, and the first thing I asked her in private was this EXACT question... about the monthly visitor...
she said that you bring tampons and pantyliners, and you come prepared. Don't let anyone know that it is your time of the month, you need not set yourself apart from the other men and women in your class. Don't whine or complain about cramps, or ask during a pt for a bathroom break unless it is absolutely necessary. Basically she said she would put in a tampon if she thought that she might be starting.. so be prepared. Always wear a pantyliner just in case you don't get to use the bathroom for longer than expected, and she also said that she would stuff an extra tampon in her sock when they were out doing pt, or basically anytime JUST IN CASE....
on a side note, if you are on BC, then you are better able to predict the timing, and thus incur fewer (if any) surprises.
hope this helps.
and sorry guys for the details.

SWCS242

SWO in-training
There are secret stashes as well...PM me if you want me to give you the low down, I just graduated in April.

SWCS242

SWO in-training
Ok, I got a question for the women out there... I know that they can issue birth control at OCS, but I was wondering if I can bring my own. Here is the kicker: my insurance doesnt cover BC for ANY reason, so, being a cheap skate, I bought my own online (with no perscription). Can I bring this with me or can I simply get some from the Drs. there? I am on a 3 month on, one week off, generic seasonale type. Thanks!
chasejj

They will give it to you at OCS. Just ask to go to medical at the beginning of your second week...ask the med body not your DI!!! The docs or nurse practitioners at medical hand BC out like candy. And its free!

dreambrat18

lol thanks for the good advice about just staying really prepared! The sock thing is a good idea but the DI wouldn't point it out or cause it to be a problem would they?
ooo secret tashes? interesting...

KLT

lol thanks for the good advice about just staying really prepared! The sock thing is a good idea but the DI wouldn't point it out or cause it to be a problem would they?
ooo secret tashes? interesting...

the girl I know used the sock tactic, and I don't think that is something they will point out, anyhow if they do, just say it's 'just in case' I mean I can't see a DI getting angry about it unless it detracts from your performance or the groups' performance ( which it shouldn't) I would only stuff my sock with the sans-applicator version of the O.B. tampons, they are compact and won't hinder your physical activity lodged in your sock : )

SWCS242

SWO in-training
the girl I know used the sock tactic, and I don't think that is something they will point out, anyhow if they do, just say it's 'just in case' I mean I can't see a DI getting angry about it unless it detracts from your performance or the groups' performance ( which it shouldn't) I would only stuff my sock with the sans-applicator version of the O.B. tampons, they are compact and won't hinder your physical activity lodged in your sock : )

Haha, a male DI actually asked one of my friends what she had in her sock while they were being RPTed...she pulled it out and he looked embarrassed and walked away, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If they ask, just tell them, I guarantee the male DIs won't go any further than that and the female DIs will probably know and not even ask to begin with.

But, you are worrying way too much!! You will figure it out when you get there, hundreds a lot of females have gone thru OCS.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And you girls wonder why I cringe at your presence in my ranks. ;) FWIW, this is just the beginning of your adventures as female in a male dominated profession. There was one chick in my last squadron (who was fucking awesome, BTW) and she had to safe her seat, unstrap and essentially take off all her gear with flight suit around her ankles so she could squat on the ejection seat to piss in the jet. Initially awkward for all involved, but it kind of became a humorous novelty. Phrases such as "Hey, nice vagina" and "You fuck your wife with that thing" were often heard over the ICS. :D

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And just don't care.

That's the wrong answer. You just have to know who you're dealing with and what they're cool with.

MB may be brash and appear "cool" with his neat-o trailer home and cavalier "I allowed my life to be crushed and completely turned up-side-down by a half-witted broad" attitude, but I wouldn't take any professional advice from him on any topic - ever.

Brett

AlexandraRoca

Hello,

I am interested in joining the NAVY OCS program when I graduate next summer. I am terrified. I was hoping maybe someone could help answer some of the questions I have.

1. How many women attend NAVY OCS?
2. How different is it for men and women?
3. What is expected of you physicaly? - How bad is it?
4. I know very little about the military and its terminology, rankings, everything - Do they teach you this or should I read up before going?
5. I have looked everywhere for a list, but haven't found one yet - what programs are available for specialization? - Not sure if this made sense, let me know :S
6. This is a crude question, but how are relationships between men and women?
7. For those of you who have finished - how does it feel to know you had/have what they are looking for?
8. For those of you who dropped out or left - what happened?
9. I started reading older posts but stopped when I read the third page dedicated to whether or not cutting your hair was a sacrifice or not, what sacrifices have you had to make? - or less personal - what kind of sacrifices are commonly made?
10. Did you enjoy it? Would you take it back? Would you do it all over again?

Thanks for any help you can offer, have a nice day!
Alexandra

KLT

I've recently heard from a girl that graduated OCS in March that they changed the regulations for girls' hair that it can go just off the shoulders now instead of just three inches on top, however I am yet to hear this confirmed on AW.

anyone know about this?

Guppie15

pro-rec SWO
That's what I heard when I went to MEPs last week and spoke with another girl who just graduated from OCS a couple weeks ago. She said her class was one of the last ones to get the 3inch hair cut.

But don't know exactly when the new hair regulations will kick in.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's the wrong answer. You just have to know who you're dealing with and what they're cool with.

Brett

I am pretty certain Brett can talk to this with more authority than anyone else on this board.

There are a lot of cool gals in the military, the gal Brett references in his original post was one of sharpest I have known. But there are some real pieces of work too, just like the guys. You have to know your audience and make sure that nothing comes back to bite you in the ass. Some are okay with the crudest of humor and make light of being a woman in a male dominated profession, a few will use any excuse to make life unbearably difficult for anyone they have issues with. This is not limited to women but you need to be extra aware when dealing with some at first. Fail to be aware of that at your own peril.

KLT

Hello,

I am interested in joining the NAVY OCS program when I graduate next summer. I am terrified. I was hoping maybe someone could help answer some of the questions I have.

1. How many women attend NAVY OCS?
2. How different is it for men and women?
3. What is expected of you physicaly? - How bad is it?
4. I know very little about the military and its terminology, rankings, everything - Do they teach you this or should I read up before going?
5. I have looked everywhere for a list, but haven't found one yet - what programs are available for specialization? - Not sure if this made sense, let me know :S
6. This is a crude question, but how are relationships between men and women?
7. For those of you who have finished - how does it feel to know you had/have what they are looking for?
8. For those of you who dropped out or left - what happened?
9. I started reading older posts but stopped when I read the third page dedicated to whether or not cutting your hair was a sacrifice or not, what sacrifices have you had to make? - or less personal - what kind of sacrifices are commonly made?
10. Did you enjoy it? Would you take it back? Would you do it all over again?

Thanks for any help you can offer, have a nice day!
Alexandra

Alexandra, hopefully I can offer some insight to your questions, but I have never been to OCS just FYI.

1. I've heard recent ratios of girls is about 35 to 4 per class, sometimes there are no girls in a class and sometimes there are 8, it's just random.
2. Besides separating the sexes as far as sharing bedrooms, not much else is different, the training, schooling, and eating is all done with both sexes integrated
3. I can't really attest to this info, just make sure you can do can max out on your pushups, run a LOT and practice cruches like a madman, be mentally prepared.
4. I've heard that they give you a website when you are selected to go to and read all of the info ( the big 4) that you need to memorize and things you need to bring with you, just study that material well before you go.
5.I had this same question when I got looking into the Navy, the common ones are SNA ( naval aviator) NFO ( Naval Flight officer) SWO ( surface Warfare Officer), IW ( information Warfare), Intel, and Supply. Then there are Nuclear Subs and Nuclear Surface as well as Oceanography and ... there might even be some I'm missing.
6.Can't answer this question, but I've heard it's all good if you remain mature and don't go in as a girl expecting special treatment because of your sex.
7.can't say.. I've heard girls say it's the best feeling ever : )
8. Dropping out of OCS from what I;ve read is a bad idea because you will be put in an intermediary step, and usually by the time you are released, the classmates that entered OCS with you are usually graduated ( that's over 13 weeks)
I can't answer the last few.. but that's all from someone who hasnt even gotten pro rec'd yet : ) try reading around the threads in free time, that is how I learned all of my knowledge, and let me know if you have any other questions!
good luck!