• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lockerbie

RussBow6

i dunno if this belongs here or not but its news and its current and it involves a plane.

i'm really heated they let megrahi go back to libya. my dad was scheduled to be on that flight and switched off at the last minute. unreal. i get the whole compassion thing and the guy is dying and he served his time blah blah blah... but you were found guilty in court of bringing down a plane full of innocent people... i'm not really concerned that you dont wanna die in a cell by yourself. anyone seen pictures of the guy's cell? he had a sofa and a big window and a bookshelf (with books! ha)

thanks for hearing me out... rant over.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
One of the articles broke it down barney style. The guy served 14 days in jail for every person who died on that flight. Way to go, Scotland.

Angels

Contributor
Disgusting. He didn't show any compassion to all those people he killed! I would have given him the death penalty, then this would be moot.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
One of the articles broke it down barney style. The guy served 14 days in jail for every person who died on that flight. Way to go, Scotland.

That is truly barney-style. I don't get the hand-wringing over how long he served. He's still going to be dead in a few months. If he'd been executed, he'd have served less days per person. If he'd somehow lived to face parole in 27 years, it would still only by 36 days per person. The three months he has left to live amounts to three days per person. How many days is fair? Does this math make any sense?

I don't agree with it, but frankly I'm not going to get worked up over a few months. From the Scottish decision:
However, Mr Al-Megrahi now faces a sentence imposed by a higher power. It is one that no court, in any jurisdiction, in any land, could revoke or overrule. It is terminal, final and irrevocable. He is going to die.
http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/This-Week/Speeches/Safer-and-stronger/lockerbiedecision

Just for perspective, we negotiated with Libya for many years in secret (so as not to draw the ire of the Lockerbie families), sometimes with people like Musa Kousa who helped plan Lockerbie, and eventually struck a reconciliation with them. Kousa fingered al-Libi and provided dossiers on him and other terrorists, Qadaffi paid reparations with no admission of guilt, dismantled his WMD program and renounced terrorism, and more importantly, did so publicly as an example to others. We in turn lifted our sanctions, granted them immunity from further Lockerbie lawsuits, and considered the matter closed. Kousa, Qadaffi, and others are walking free because their intelligence and disarmament was more valuable to us than justice.

It was a dirty deal, one the Lockerbie families no doubt would have tried to kill if they had known, and I'm not sure we'd be better off if they had.
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2006/0610.suskind.html

WO_Flyer

pilot

Some things never change.... Plus all they drive are awesome VW busses with convenient RPG sunroofs....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article6804645.ece

I dont care. "?I am terminally ill. There is no prospect of my recovery. My continued incarceration in HMP Greenock is not conducive to my wellbeing as my life nears it end ... I have never publicly taken a stance which would seek to impugn your nation and its system of justice. I have behaved with respect to the due legal process which I am subject to. It is with the same respect that I make the application to you to enable me to return to my country and my family with what is left of my life, as a son, husband, father and grandfather.? I dont care....

But then.... I am positive oil had something to do with it.

That dude should of been shot!!

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
The Brits were a party to the same negotiations, and opening Libya to trade and investment was the principal carrot for their turnaround. I find it far more plausible to believe they (and we) traded justice for security than for oil. But that makes no easy scapegoats.