• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leg training and running

Viashino684

Final Select SNA
Figured i'd throw in my own workout ive been doing. Ive actually been using the 300 work out 3 days a week 3 sets per day. It's fairly simple and if you're not familiar with it I'll list it down.

1. pull ups (5) 1 min break
2. deadlifts 135 lbs (10reps) 1 min break
3. push ups (10 reps) 1 min break
4. box jumps (10reps) 1 min break
5. windshield wipers holding 135 lbs (10 reps each side) 1 min break
6. squat shoulder press with a kettle ball 35 lbs (10 reps each arm) 1 min break
7. pull ups (5) 1 min break (repeat 1-7)X3

Now if this is too easy you can step it up to 20 of everything starting with 10 pull ups and ending with 10. This work out is not very tough until you add in the time factor. For phase 1 give a minute break after each station and each set. when you step up to 20 everything, drop to 30-45 seconds per station/set. Ive noticed great endurance increases and muscle endurance. On top of that this work out will leave you shredded, just like a spartan warrior.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Figured i'd throw in my own workout ive been doing. Ive actually been using the 300 work out 3 days a week 3 sets per day. It's fairly simple and if you're not familiar with it I'll list it down.

6. squat shoulder press with a kettle ball 35 lbs (10 reps each arm) 1 min break

Now if this is too easy you can step it up to 20 of everything starting with 10 pull ups and ending with 10. This work out is not very tough until you add in the time factor. For phase 1 give a minute break after each station and each set. when you step up to 20 everything, drop to 30-45 seconds per station/set. Ive noticed great endurance increases and muscle endurance. On top of that this work out will leave you shredded, just like a spartan warrior.

This looks very close to what I'm doing, but what are windshield wipers? I don't do those so that's probably the reason I look more like a Hut warrior than Spartan warrior. I also add a mile in after the deadlifts each time. That really crushes your spirits when you take very short breaks between stations.

P.S. I effing hate box jumps.

LEG DAY

I'd pass on leg training before OCS dude. I'm a bodybuilder and learned the hard way about going to OCS with heavy legs. The more muscle you have in your legs, the more blood and lactic acid will get in there when your running/humping etc and it'll make your life hell. For seniors I forewent leg training all together starting 4 months out was much happier at ocs that time than the first. Just pick it up hard and heavy when you get back...

Makk85

604KTS
pilot

Skip the 1 minute breaks in between everything and repeat this 4-5 times as fast as you can and you'll have the core of a crossfit style workout.

pilot811

Fly High!
So from what I got out of this thread is that if you're someone like me (trying to increase endurance and run distance) to do few lower body exercises and more cardio? Just throw some lunges or squats in every now and then?
I usually do a full body workout (chest, biceps, triceps, back, shoulders, and legs) but split it so I'm working on two areas 3 times a week. That is usually Mon, Wed, and Friday and on Tuesday and Thursday I run. I am thinking about adding in some lunges or wall sqauts after my run to get the full effect.
Sound good?

Kevin

MidWestEwo

None
Since everyone else is throwing in their workouts...

Monday - 3.5 miles, Pushups (X3 to fail), laying leg lifts to failure, Burpees

Tuesday - Diamond pushups (X3 30 reps), Dips (3 sets 15), Pull ups (3 sets 15), Dumbell press (3 sets of 10 65lb, 70, 75), Dumbell shoulder press (3 sets 10 reps of whatever I feel up to), 2 sets dead lifts (fairly light), back flys, wide grip pull ups (2 sets of 10), incline sit ups (about 30 in sets between different work outs)

Wednesday - Hill running 3 miles - walk short distances if the hills kill me too much. Short leg work out including leg press, leg curls, leg extensions, and weighted lunges.

Thursday - Typically the same as Tuesday

Friday - Speed work outs. .25 miles running, about a half mile jog, and repeat until im too beat to go on.

Saturday - slower distance run. Usually around 4 miles or more. Push ups, Leg lifts, Burpees.

Am I missing something important?

MidWestEwo

None

I thought you threw in kettle swings with that work out? hmm

c_s

Question: With push-ups as my weak link, am I better off doing them every day or every other day or what? I've made a lot of improvement in the last three months with them but I'm still not where I want to be. I also do 3-4 days/week of arm/shoulder/chest/back free weight workouts... I've got a weak upper body :/

Viashino684

Final Select SNA
This looks very close to what I'm doing, but what are windshield wipers? I don't do those so that's probably the reason I look more like a Hut warrior than Spartan warrior. I also add a mile in after the deadlifts each time. That really crushes your spirits when you take very short breaks between stations.

P.S. I effing hate box jumps.

For the windshield wipers you have to hold 135 lbs up in the air as if your about to bench press it, then literally move your legs and lower body as if you were doing windshield wipers to each plate. So for example. kick your feet off the ground 6 inches and "wipe" them in a slow swing motion to the left side, then back to the right side without touching them back on the ground. Not only does this use stabilizer muscles but works the lower core of the body and the abs.

Viashino684

Final Select SNA
Question: With push-ups as my weak link, am I better off doing them every day or every other day or what? I've made a lot of improvement in the last three months with them but I'm still not where I want to be. I also do 3-4 days/week of arm/shoulder/chest/back free weight workouts... I've got a weak upper body :/

One thing that i did prior to my application prt was just follow the guide on navy-prt.com for push ups. It wasn't a whole lot and it was only 4 days a week if i remember correctly ( i haven't done it lately, i need to start back up) within 3 weeks i noticed significant increase of push ups, going from roughly 30-40 at a time to almost 70-80 before i tired out

c_s

thanks! i've looked at it before, but kind of glazed over it. i'll definitely go back to it.

MidWestEwo

None
Not sure if thats the same as the kettle ball squat/shoulder press I mentioned. To be honest I'm not sure how to preform a kettle swing?

I know it is a basic kettlebell work out. You just basically swing it between your legs and up to eye level and back again for something like 20-30 reps at a time. you can also do one arm swings too. They look like they are a great all body workout.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX5uVjxjfkg[/video]

This guy has his shirt off and you can see how many muscle groups are being used. If I could afford some kettlebells I would buy some. I may just buy one and see how I like it.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM-_-RF6v1U&feature=related[/video]

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I know it is a basic kettlebell work out. You just basically swing it between your legs and up to eye level and back again for something like 20-30 reps at a time. you can also do one arm swings too. They look like they are a great all body workout.

That's one of the exercises in Crossfit's 'Helen'. Solid exercise.

I usually just use a DB and switch my grip each set. First rep will be right over left, then left over right, etc. KB's are great if you have free access to them, but I don't really see a need to go out and buy a set of them. On the list of priorities, KB's definitely fall below hookers and blow.

MidWestEwo

None
That's one of the exercises in Crossfit's 'Helen'. Solid exercise.

I usually just use a DB and switch my grip each set. First rep will be right over left, then left over right, etc. KB's are great if you have free access to them, but I don't really see a need to go out and buy a set of them. On the list of priorities, KB's definitely fall below hookers and blow.

You are right. Those two take care of weight loss AND full body exercise.:eek: