• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leaving Vietnam vs AFG

robav8r

None
Contributor
Sure, and the author has a particular perspective. But it remains interesting, to include the fact that he wrote the editorial.

You could argue that it was a bug, or a feature. Have them beholden to us?

When I read about how they were lost without our 1st world systems I think of our mantra for a different continent, "African solutions to African problems." Might have been worthwhile to use the same mantra in Afghanistan.
Jocko podcast #296 speaks to some of this in great detail - fascinating listen.

robav8r

None
Contributor
From Afghan General, interesting article...

So why did the Afghan military collapse? The answer is threefold.

First, former President Donald Trump’s February 2020 peace deal with the Taliban in Doha doomed us. It put an expiration date on American interest in the region. Second, we lost contractor logistics and maintenance support critical to our combat operations. Third, the corruption endemic in Mr. Ghani’s government that flowed to senior military leadership and long crippled our forces on the ground irreparably hobbled us.
Shocked that the NYT is blaming Orange Man . . . . . got it. I'm waiting for the NYT editorial about how the current guy in the seat completely fucked away the withdrawal . You know, leadership & responsibility and all that command stuff . . . .

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
What if the number is 200, or 20,000? You’re presuming a certain range based on zero factual information. Unless you have a rough idea, and I don’t think that you do, then you’re just speculating… which is stupid.

Why don't the DOD and DOS know this number? They've certainly asked the admin for more time, so your point that no one knows if we can get everyone out would, based on circumstantial evidence, be incorrect. Seems like the people at the top know we can't get everyone out and the administration said fuck em because the date was more important than the mission.

Pags

N/A
pilot
While I'd hope DOD and DOS would be able to account for all of the Americans supporting their missions is there anyway for them to know about all the "other" Americans who might be in AFG? I'm specifically thinking NGO types and random civilian "adventurers" and not secret squirrel types. If I traveled to AFG on my own dime and at my own risk to build schools or backpack, would I be on the list to be evacuated?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
While I'd hope DOD and DOS would be able to account for all of the Americans supporting their missions is there anyway for them to know about all the "other" Americans who might be in AFG? I'm specifically thinking NGO types and random civilian "adventurers" and not secret squirrel types. If I traveled to AFG on my own dime and at my own risk to build schools or backpack, would I be on the list to be evacuated?

We'll circle back to that on august 32nd.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Why don't the DOD and DOS know this number? They've certainly asked the admin for more time, so your point that no one knows if we can get everyone out would, based on circumstantial evidence, be incorrect. Seems like the people at the top know we can't get everyone out and the administration said fuck em because the date was more important than the mission.

Dude, careful or you'll get the standard boilerplate response from the resident expert on all things... "You’re also not paying attention to what we’re discussing."

taxi1

pilot
Yeah, I read the article. Just another attempt by NYT to deflect away from the current administration.
Pretty sure it was the last admin that negotiated directly with the Taliban, cutting the AFG out of the loop. That still boggles the mind that we would do that.

The die was cast with that move. Biden was no doubt on board with it, but the general is giving credit where credit is due.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dude, careful or you'll get the standard boilerplate response from the resident expert on all things... "You’re also not paying attention to what we’re discussing."
Dude, if you’d like to interject upon a discussion that Wink and I are having, at least get an idea of what the argument is before you do so.… dude.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Pags, you can't go anywhere in this post 9/11 world without DHS/CBP knowing where you are. The myriad ways we are tracked and documented utilizing all the technology the USG has at its disposal is impressive. This idea that DoD/DoS/DHS doesn't have a "means" to know who is in-country, especially in a place like Afghanistan is laughable. Come on man !! ?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Pags, you can't go anywhere in this post 9/11 world without DHS/CBP knowing where you are. The myriad ways we are tracked and documented utilizing all the technology the USG has at its disposal is impressive. This idea that DoD/DoS/DHS doesn't have a "means" to know who is in-country, especially in a place like Afghanistan is laughable. Come on man !! ?
Is everyone actively tracked or can the tracking be done after the fact based on ticketing, passport scans, etc? I personally have no clue if when I flew to Europe or Hong Kong I was actively tracked or not. Beyond telling my employer (the USG) where I was going, buying a ticket, and doing normal custom things I didn't do anything beyond that. Could the greater USG have found me if they wanted to based on possible emissions and travel plans? Sure, but it's not like I was trying to hide anything.

What does that situation look like for a backpacker who walks across a border or a mining surveyor who is sent there by a private company via a charter flight? What about a US citizen working for a foreign NGO like Doctors Without Borders? I personally have no idea if these folks are on the hook for an evacuation or if the evac is only for folks there on formal USG tasking.

GroundPounder

[
Is everyone actively tracked or can the tracking be done after the fact based on ticketing, passport scans, etc? I personally have no clue if when I flew to Europe or Hong Kong I was actively tracked or not. Beyond telling my employer (the USG) where I was going, buying a ticket, and doing normal custom things I didn't do anything beyond that. Could the greater USG have found me if they wanted to based on possible emissions and travel plans? Sure, but it's not like I was trying to hide anything.

What does that situation look like for a backpacker who walks across a border or a mining surveyor who is sent there by a private company via a charter flight? What about a US citizen working for a foreign NGO like Doctors Without Borders? I personally have no idea if these folks are on the hook for an evacuation or if the evac is only for folks there on formal USG tasking.

Cell and satellite phone data is available for most people, the data is easy to get in the right circumstances. If, in towns, they still do any credit /debit cards that is also quickly available if the circumstances warrant. There are other ways to track people available, but those are the most well known. My perspective is from LE, I am sure the secret squirrels have capabilities that outpace ours.

However, if someone was misguided enough to go out in the hinterlands of Afghanistan it may be easy to fall off the grid. I am sure there will be people that we know are over there, that will not be recoverable, and will never been seen or heard from again.

robav8r

None
Contributor

I think your "backpacker who walks across a border or a mining surveyor" example is more than possible, but I expect the numbers of those to be very, very small. DHS/DoD/DoS has the means to ascertain the location of most AMCITS on international travel. Internet access and cell phone usage makes that job a LOT easier. Ask any LEO how a growing number of crimes are expeditiously solved now using cell phone data . . . .

Pags

N/A
pilot
I think your "backpacker who walks across a border or a mining surveyor" example is more than possible, but I expect the numbers of those to be very, very small. DHS/DoD/DoS has the means to ascertain the location of most AMCITS on international travel. Internet access and cell phone usage makes that job a LOT easier. Ask any LEO how a growing number of crimes are expeditiously solved now using cell phone data . . . .
Ok, I don't disagree with anything that you and @GroundPounder said but, in my head at least, that's still after the fact stuff. If someone says, "find me Steve Smith" we could figure out his cell phone ids, his credit card info, passport #, and probably pretty quickly find him in the western world provided that he's not trying to stay hidden. If he's just a guy on vacation in Paris who maybe disappeared we could probably find a trail via those methods. But can those methods be used the other way to identify folks needing evac? I'm sure you could see the traffic and make some guesses but how often are people using their AMEX in AFG? What if they have a local burner phone as opposed to the one on their Verizon account? Im sure actual answers to this quickly end up in BEADWINDOW territory and I'm not trying to go that way.

Are we trying to recover backpackers, NGOs, private company folks who happen to be US citizens or just USG folks? Individual citizens sometimes go places that you or I likely wouldn't go...like the guy my wife went to college with who ended up locked up in North Korea or folks who get locked up in Iran, Mexico, etc.