• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Joint Chiefs Chairman Says U.S. Preparing Military Options Against Iran

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Then we're not at war, period. Just like in Korea, just like in Vietnam.

We didn't "win" those, either. We need to re-acquaint ourselves with the concept of "winning".

Just like the boys ... and the country .... did in WW2 ....

We need to keep clarity here ...
Curious how you think we can do that? I agree wholeheartedly but I don't see how we can refocus the country onto this idea. After all, a lot of us young-ones are part of the "it's-not-nice-to-hit" generation where apparently you can discuss your way out of anything, if only we talk nicely. (Good thing some of us still learned how to hit :)) Like you pointed out A4's, we saw what happened the last few times we were not at "war" - can we learn from the past or are we going to be condemned to repeat it (again).

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Some huge percentage of "the boys" (too bad not "the girls" too...) that would have to be drafted and mobilized are unfit for service. Fast-food generation and all that. Even when they do get in shape, too much soda too young weakens the bones, leads to a lot of stress fractures. At least that's the explanation I've been given. Combine the fat kids with "asthma" (which would also become the easiest way to get out of the draft), and that doesn't leave you much to work with.

It's a predicament.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

We are always planning for war, with a lot of countries, it doesn't mean we are going to do it.

As for striking at Iran's nuclear facilities, they have learned a lesson from Osirak (obiviously the Syrians did not). There facilities are said to be spread around the country in a wide variety of locations, some are rumored to be well hidden and dug in. Would it be impossible to strike them really hard? No, but it would present a targeting problem that would make it very difficult to ensure that we would deliver a knockout blow to their nuclear program, assuming that is the primary target.

Even if we were able to successfully strike the Iranian regimes nuclear programs, they have deep ties to several very dangerous and capable terrorist organizations, namely Hezbollah. They have struck repeatedly at Israeli targets all over the world, and are responsible for the deaths of over 300 US citizens. They retain unique capabilities among terrorist groups in the world, and would be able to make multiple and wide-ranging terror attacks spanning the globe in response to an attack on their sponsor and patron, Iran. They demonstrated their formidable conventional capabilities in the 2006 war in Lebanon, where they fought Israel on the open battlefield and acquitted themselves well (with some unintentional help from the Israelis). And they are not a despised dictator that few in the Arab public care for like Saddam was, they are widely renowned as heros on the 'Arab street' for standing up to Israel and in their eyes, 'winning'. They, like everyone else, like a winner and there have been few and far between in the Arab world against the Israelis.

Should this completely deter us from attacking if neccessary? No, but we should be fully aware of the consequences. That is something that I don't think the American public is aware of, or even most of the people on this board.

And while many of you here might dispute the point, our credibility around the world has been seriously damaged by the war in Iraq. Our arguments about the nuclear threat in Iran suspiciously sounds a lot like our discredited argument about Saddam's WMD. That is not to say that Iran's program is peaceful, but where is the beef? Even our most steadfast allies, Australia and Britain, would likely not support us in strikes against Iran. Prime Minister Brown is already on shaky political ground and facing elections within the next two years. Prime Minister Rudd, while still a strong ally, is not the unabashed cheerleader of the US that Prime Minister Howard was, and is very lukewarm to Iraq.

So, are we really willing to strike Iran alone and unafraid, with little public support both at home and abroad, just months before we get a new President? A country with almost twice the population and almost 4 times the size of Iraq when our forces are already stretched in Iraq and Afghanistan? I hope not......

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Could this be in any way tied to the recent "buzz" about the Navy's substantially increasing the amount of pilot billets?

I know nothing.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
This generation is just as good/bad as any before. That's not the issue. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

The difference between defeating a Germany or Japan and defeating the Islamofascists as represented by say, Iran, is like the difference between killing a grizzly bear and killing an infestation of poisonous snakes. Both are hard, both are dangerous, but one is more firepower intensive, while one is more skill intensive.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
This generation is just as good/bad as any before. That's not the issue. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

The difference between defeating a Germany or Japan and defeating the Islamofascists as represented by say, Iran, is like the difference between killing a grizzly bear and killing an infestation of poisonous snakes. Both are hard, both are dangerous, but one is more firepower intensive, while one is more skill intensive.

The failure to put the country on a war footing is not the fault of any one generation. The fault is with the current administration.

hscs

pilot
The failure to put the country on a war footing is not the fault of any one generation. The fault is with the current administration.

They tried -- since the majority of the country does not have a loved one in combat - they would rather worry about what fvcking idiot won American Idol.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
They tried -- since the majority of the country does not have a loved one in combat - they would rather worry about what fvcking idiot won American Idol.

I agree with the point about the American populace, but how did the administration try to get everyone on board?

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Then we're not at war, period. Just like in Korea, just like in Vietnam.

We didn't "win" those, either. We need to re-acquaint ourselves with the concept of "winning".

Just like the boys ... and the country .... did in WW2 ....

We need to keep clarity here ...

Well, not all of us were around for WW2...:D

It does seem like a lot of our current problems in Iraq are coming from Iran and the people that they're sending over. I don't know our logistics and how thin we'd really be if we were to attack, however I'm sure Israel would be more than willing to help us out and could do a lot themselves. Ahmedinejad does need to be dealt with and this time around I think most of the world realizes it, too.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Well, not all of us were around for WW2...:D

It does seem like a lot of our current problems in Iraq are coming from Iran and the people that they're sending over. I don't know our logistics and how thin we'd really be if we were to attack, however I'm sure Israel would be more than willing to help us out and could do a lot themselves. Ahmedinejad does need to be dealt with and this time around I think most of the world realizes it, too.

Just as a matter of keeping things kosher, I highly doubt that the US and Israel will EVER play together in the region.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
True, at least publicly. Part of me is wondering if we're doing some behind the scenes deals where they'd do our dirty work at least.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Our dirty work is intrinsically their dirty work. So basically, most of the conflict they've been in over the years has ben THEIR conflict, but it served us just as well. BTW, Israel is really good at dirty work.

I'm looking for the lid to blow on Iran no earlier than 2011.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
In the name of all that's good and pure..I they can hold off for another year and a half so I can retire and quietly slip into oblivion.