• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Joint Chiefs Chairman Says U.S. Preparing Military Options Against Iran

lmnop

I hope it's not .... or at least let the Israeli's do it w/ us providing top cover. Can you say Korean reactor in Syria??? :)
It's unfinished business from 1980 ... and I don't like to leave things unfinished.
Yeah, yeah, yeah ... I know. Reality will prevail.
It may be unfinished, but pursuing that option right now will just create more unfinished business with Iraq....just like initiating OIF while we were still engaged in Afghanistan.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
It may be unfinished, but pursuing that option.....blah, blah, blah ...
Gee .... now who could know??? Thanks for clearin' that up for me. :)

Your approach is EXACTLY WHY we have so much "unfinished business" in the world today. You either DO IT RIGHT ... or you don't.

What WOULD I ever do without you guys keepin' me straight.

Mahalo.

88728290ke6.jpg

lmnop

Your approach is EXACTLY WHY we have so much "unfinished business" in the world today. You either DO IT RIGHT ... or you don't.

What approach is that? I would think that finishing up one of the ongoing campaigns in order to free up resources for use elsewhere would be 'doing it right'.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
What approach is that? I would think that finishing up one of the ongoing campaigns in order to free up resources for use elsewhere would be 'doing it right'.

Your approach of NOT focusing on the "real" enemy. You (and some in our government) are easily distracted, it would appear ...

You're not easily distracted, are you??? :)

Again, thanks for keepin' me straight.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
A4s',

I agree that Iran needs to be dealt with. My worry is the effect a decision to use the military option - or for that matter just stories like this one - will have on the election in November.

The Democrats don't have the cajones to finish the job once its started, and I don't want to send our troops into battle if they're not going to be allowed to see it through.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..... I don't want to send our troops into battle if they're not going to be allowed to see it through.

Totally agree.

Politicians & political expediency = complete excrement.

I learned that hard lesson a long, long time ago ...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
There ain't enough "troops" to spare for Iran. On the ground, that place would make Iraq look like a trip to Disneyland. Now bombs, maybe. Maybe not small ones, but I hear we have some Trident, Tomahawk, and Minuteman missiles to spare if things go really badly.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^^^ One more thought, Tex .... :)

Do ya'll realize that @ 64 years ago ... i.e., in 1944 ... with significantly less population and/or overall resources than we have now .... we kicked in the front door on Fortress Europe, rolled into Rome, and kicked the J's asses in the Phillipine Sea ... all in the same month.

Do you know that?? :)

And now ... we can't figure out how to throttle a couple of second (third?) rate Islamic loser-states??? I thought we called this a "war"???

Something is the matter here. Or am I the only one expressing it??? :sleep_125

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
I've read a few articles that have said that the people of Iran aren't very supportive of their current gov't., but start lobbin' ordinance their way & they might start.

snake020

Contributor
^^^ One more thought, Tex .... :)

Do ya'll realize that @ 64 years ago ... i.e., in 1944 ... with significantly less population and/or overall resources than we have now .... we kicked in the front door on Fortress Europe, rolled into Rome, and kicked the J's asses in the Phillipine Sea ... all in the same month.

Do you know that?? :)

And now ... we can't figure out how to throttle a couple of second (third?) rate Islamic loser-states??? I thought we called this a "war"???

Something is the matter here. Or am I the only one expressing it??? :sleep_125

We also had a 16 million strong force, a draft, and the nation as a whole involved in the war effort.

Hell, just the size of the Marine Corps (~660k from what I found in the history books, maybe you could confirm that A4s...) back then rivaled the size of all active DoD troops today.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
But in World War II, our goal was to destroy them and get two conventional militaries to unconditionally surrender. We do have the capability to do that in about 30 minutes, maybe less, depending on where the submarines are parked.

While that might be emotionally satisfying to some, that really wouldn't improve our security, because every swinging richard country would start building their own bombs to protect themselves against us. And as much as some here might like, you can't nuke them all. Not to mention the problem when every Mohammed grabs a brick of C4 and heads to the shopping mall.

A ground conflict against Iran proper would be like the worst parts of Iraq and the projected problems of taking the Japanese mainland. It'd be doable, but it would be a full time job.