• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Joint Chiefs Chairman Says U.S. Preparing Military Options Against Iran

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well not for sure - but I am reading corresponding articles in both Aviation Week and Combat Aircraft magazines... both publications are consistently reliable ...

I was genuinely surprised at the numbers.... but it's in keeping with previous reports on Iran developing a mature depot level repair capability on the Turkey...

Look up the info for yourselves ...

While they may be reliable for many things, I don't think I rely on them for Iranian Air Force fighter availability numbers. Sounds more like Iranian propaganda to me........

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They're converting HAWKS to AIMs?

That's got to require complete rework of the seeker head. Plus, the HAWK is a crazy big missle.

They are trying, doesn't mean it will work.......

phpNwVmt5AM.jpg

http://f-14tomcat.persiangig.com/phpBlxU0LAM.jpg

http://www.defencetalk.com/pictures/data/4698/medium/F-14_Armed_with_Hawk_Missile.JPG

P.S. Not sure of the validity of the airborne shot, it is not the same but looks very similar to this one:

phpBlxU0LAM.jpg

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
That's pretty wild. I can't see a HAWK as being very a very effective A-A weapon. Again, the target illumination it requires (being purposefully vague here) is different than most semi-active homing missiles do, so I would think they would have had to put a new head in it. I would think that they could still buy pretty good FSU or French (they'll sell anything to anybody) gear for a price that would be competitive with redoing the HAWK.

Always wondered what the ready-room environment was like in Iran...do they have things like kangaroo courts, where charges run like, "Mahmood was hooking up with his wife from his arranged marriage, lifts her veil for the first time, and sees how fat she was, and says 'I DIVORCE YOU!' three times! Oh, I tell you...I propose his new callsign be 'camel buggerer'"

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Um, the Iranian's developing the Hawk as an AIM is OLD NEWS. They've been trying that forever... and by most accounts, failing.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah...well, I don't have SIPR, or a secret pubs vault, or an S-2 here for that matter...I rely on AW for my fantasy tactics fix now...rotisserie air warfare, if you will...I suck...