• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

January 09 Boards

Gills

I got a very interesting call from my OR today. This weekend I was very busy commiserating and trying to think of reasons why I was not selected for SWO, since my recruiter and I thought I was a shoe in (pun intended).

My OR called and talked to the program manager to see if he could get gouge on why myself and some other good SWO candidates were not selected. There are two possibilities. One, I am also up for INTEL next month and my OR says that I could have been "earmarked." Which means that they told SWO not to select me because they wanted me. This is unlikely because INTEL normally selects very few people. However, I can say that I did have a interview and LOR from an INTEL Rear Admiral who did say that he would "strongly reccommend" me. Also INTEL already contacted my OR and made me send them a letter confirming that I actually wanted INTEL because I guess there was some confusion about that on my initial application. The whole "earmarking" thing is all speculation, but it sure does get me thinking!

Second (more likely) possibility is that the 50 apps per board thing
f*cked me once again. My OR said that they decided to do away with the 50 apps per board mid month, so there were about 165 SWO applicants that they looked at with 50 percent being approved. He said normally its (70-80). We we're still surprised that I was not among those 50%, but whatever.

So, if I do not get selected in February for INTEL, I will most definitley resubmit SWO for the March boards and we think that I should :confused: be selected. I'm also going to put up my PRT because according to my own calculations I'll be somewhere in the "Outstanding" range, which has got to count for something.

Sorry for the long rant, I just thought that this was a very interesting situation. And it is encouraging information for me and my quest to become a navy officer.

Good Luck January guys (and gals), I hope your final selects come soon. And I too will be saying "Pro-Rec" one day soon, so watch out!

RabidMoose

21 years old, male. Applied for SNA, SWO, and Supply
pro rec'd in SNA and SWO so far. Havn't heard from supply yet. Obviously i'm taking pilot.

ASTB,s 7,7,7 58 OAR
2.7 BS in Civil Engineering at Penn State University
PRT: 65 push ups, 88 sit ups, 11:27 1.5 mile

Internship with Penn Dot and Research Assistant for Pennsylvania Transportation Institute. A few other employers including Harley Davidson and FedEx.

International Defensive Pistol Association
International Practical Shooting Association
LOR from 2 Professors who have PH'd's and their PE's, and 1 former employer.
Swimming and track in High School. 2 Varsity Letters in Swimming.

Dean's List 1 time.

No prior Flight or Military Exp. Applied for NROTC senior year of High School and did not get selected.

Going to R.I.!

MidWestEwo

None
21 years old, male. Applied for SNA, SWO, and Supply
pro rec'd in SNA and SWO so far. Havn't heard from supply yet. Obviously i'm taking pilot.

ASTB,s 7,7,7 58 OAR
2.7 BS in Civil Engineering at Penn State University
PRT: 65 push ups, 88 sit ups, 11:27 1.5 mile

Internship with Penn Dot and Research Assistant for Pennsylvania Transportation Institute. A few other employers including Harley Davidson and FedEx.

International Defensive Pistol Association
International Practical Shooting Association
LOR from 2 Professors who have PH'd's and their PE's, and 1 former employer.
Swimming and track in High School. 2 Varsity Letters in Swimming.

Dean's List 1 time.

No prior Flight or Military Exp. Applied for NROTC senior year of High School and did not get selected.

Going to R.I.!

You didn't expect to be selected with those stats? Thanks for making me feel small and insignificant.

Falk

FS SNA
Hey Everyone. Heard back from my OR today. Turns out I got pushed from the Jan board to the Feb board. Bit of an unpleasant surprise...

Congrats though to everyone who got in this month.

Charity

Final Select SNA
I'm not sure what I should do. I got my eyes dilated today and my astigmatism is -1.00, which is the limit, but I've tested in the past and it was -1.5. It makes me really nervous to be so borderlined because obviously I don't know if it's going to get worse between now and the flight physical. I'm getting a flight physical in corpus christi at the end of February so hopefully I can get a better idea as to whether I need prk or not (or if there are any other problems). If my astigmatism is -1.00 in corpus but is -1.25 or -1.50 in the pensacola physical after ocs, am I going to be NPQ? I'm not sure what I should do. Does this make sense? In other words, I afraid I'll be told beforehand that I'm qualified but later be told I'm not qualified. Would you guys be worried or am I just being paranoid?

nebekerb

Final Select SNA
Contributor
I'm not sure what I should do. I got my eyes dilated today and my astigmatism is -1.00, which is the limit, but I've tested in the past and it was -1.5. It makes me really nervous to be so borderlined because obviously I don't know if it's going to get worse between now and the flight physical. I'm getting a flight physical in corpus christi at the end of February so hopefully I can get a better idea as to whether I need prk or not (or if there are any other problems). If my astigmatism is -1.00 in corpus but is -1.25 or -1.50 in the pensacola physical after ocs, am I going to be NPQ? I'm not sure what I should do. Does this make sense? In other words, I afraid I'll be told beforehand that I'm qualified but later be told I'm not qualified. Would you guys be worried or am I just being paranoid?

What is your astigmatism without your eyes dilated? Can't remember which thread it was on, but I don't think you can be disqualified if your eyes are out of parameters during cycloplegic refraction, but are within parameters during manifest refraction. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

weeze

Stats

Congratulations to all who got selected! I found out today that I have been selected for pilot and NFO. Here are my stats, for those who did not make it this time or hope too in the future, so you can gauge yourself.

27/M
AC2(AW) with 8 years active.
GPA: 3.4
Degree: B.A. in Aeronautical Science from ERAU
OAR:52

Interviews: Base XO, O-6 and two 0-5’s OPS Officer and NOLF OIC)

LOR’s: Three former Division Officers, all O-3's

- I am an air traffic controller so I am already in a flight status and have a clearance.
- F-18 back seat qualified.
- 30 of 36 credit hours complete for my Master Degree

Applied: NOV08
Pro-Rec: JAN08
Final Select: TBD
Class Date: TBD

DFSpence

I talked about you briefly with Symington today Charity. I overheard him talking about a girl with eye issues that was prorec'd to pilot and I said "Hey is that Charity?" He then rolled his eyes when I told him I knew of you from AW, hahaha.

Thats awesome that you are getting to go down to Corpus. I went there back in October to get a full flight physical and everyone is very nice. Plus it was awesome sitting in waiting rooms with pilots. I talked with a few and they were good guys. They doc doing the eye exams seemed rushed but she did a thorough job - you will know by the end of the day whether you will be good to go or not. Let me know if you have any questions about going down there.

SoOthersMayLive

pilot
Hey all, congrats to everyone that got picked up. I have been scouting these boards for a while and rarely post. Perhaps I should start posting more to increase my chances. In any event, I noticed a few things posted within the last couple of days that I may be able to shed some light on and maybe help a few of you guys.

1. Someone mentioned that their OR retired and they could not find out the status of their application. All you have to do is google "navy officer recruiter". Find a number from any recruiting district and talk to any OR. These guys all access the same network to find out results and are more than willing to help (for the most part). Trust me, you won't be jumping over anybodys head by making a phone call.

2. Someone else mentioned getting earmarked for Intel. I have a good friend that works downstairs from me that just got an email saying that he had been passed over. I saw the email, there were 3 people selected and a veritable plethora of non-selects. You very well may have been earmarked (and I hope that you have), but I figured that this info may help you out in one way or another.

3. I am on active duty right now, I have no OR and as a result I have no way of knowing where in the process my package is. I called an OR the other day to see if he could possibly look it up for me to let me know where I stand. My package was recieved in Millington on Dec. 30th and he said that my name was not on the list for the Jan. or Feb. SNA and NFO boards so the earliest that I would be looked at is March. I know that a few people in this thread sent in their packages around that timeframe. It sucks to have to wait, but it is the Navy and after 7 years I am used to it.

In any event, I hope this may have helped a few people out. Congrats again to all that were selected this month, and best of luck to those that are waiting.

RabidMoose

You didn't expect to be selected with those stats? Thanks for making me feel small and insignificant.

Well ive been following the thread and viewing everyone else's stats and I feel like ive seen alot of high ASTB's and GPA's. I've also noticed a good bit of flight experience. I think also not getting selected for NROTC got me a little pessimistic. There are a lot of extremely gifted people out there with many more extra curricular activities than me. Thankfully there are people out there that took the time to view my whole profile and understand how highly motivated I am and how long I've been working toward this goal(since 5th grade).

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Well ive been following the thread and viewing everyone else's stats and I feel like ive seen alot of high ASTB's and GPA's. I've also noticed a good bit of flight experience. I think also not getting selected for NROTC got me a little pessimistic. There are a lot of extremely gifted people out there with many more extra curricular activities than me. Thankfully there are people out there that took the time to view my whole profile and understand how highly motivated I am and how long I've been working toward this goal(since 5th grade).

Relax you've already been picked..you don't need to provide us another motivational statement. :D

IYAOYAS

Pro Rec SNA & NFO BDCP
Hey guys, I had to set up a new account but just wanted to let people know so they can get an idea of how many people got selected in Jan 2009 board

I got selected for SNA and NFO with the BDCP, so like all waiting for final select