• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

January 09 Boards

SoOthersMayLive

pilot
Turtl3 said:
I don't think there is a list for February until around Feb 8th...no?

All I know is what the Officer Recruiter that I talked to told me. He was apparently looking at the web page as he spoke to me. I am taking his word for it since it is his job to know these things. I hope, for my sake, that you are correct and that he was mistaken and that I have a chance to get into the Feb. board. However, the way that I look at it is that if I don't expect it, I won't be dissapointed if it doesn't happen.

IYAOYAS

Pro Rec SNA & NFO BDCP
I also have a question, my vision is 20/30 and 20/40. Now, I do qualify under the waiver for my eyesight, and I was looking at this sight and they say all the way to 20/100 http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/nomi/nami/arwg/Documents/Waiver%20Guide%20-%20Ophthalmology%20080624.pdf

Now my eye doctor said that my vision jumps back and forth because of the reading books and fatigue.

My question is, if I get my final select for SNA, into the BDCP.. Can I have PRK surgery done as I will have about 1.5 years before I graduate from college?? Anyone know. I have done a search but it is more for people that have bad vision and not too many BDCP???

nugget61

pilot
I also have a question, my vision is 20/30 and 20/40. Now, I do qualify under the waiver for my eyesight, and I was looking at this sight and they say all the way to 20/100 http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navme...ments/Waiver Guide - Ophthalmology 080624.pdf

Now my eye doctor said that my vision jumps back and forth because of the reading books and fatigue.

My question is, if I get my final select for SNA, into the BDCP.. Can I have PRK surgery done as I will have about 1.5 years before I graduate from college?? Anyone know. I have done a search but it is more for people that have bad vision and not too many BDCP???

Man, our situations are so similar it's scary. Feel free to PM me if you want.

Long story short - the 20/100 doesn't apply for pilots. I'm going to assume that you have access to the full waiver guide; if not download that one and not just the Ophtho section and check out section 1.6.

To answer your question, you need 20/40 or better in both eyes and you don't need a waiver for that, just glasses or contacts.

WRT the PRK - I was told (from multiple good sources) that you cannot get the PRK surgery after the navy 'owns' you in BDCP (as I tried to do as well). If you want to fly and you can't get 20/40 then get it done now, before the final select. HOWEVER, it sounds like you just need to be good to your eyes the day before your vision test, sleep well and be well hydrated and you should do just fine.

It's a couple of pages long, but you might find some worthwhile info in my thread: http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145609&page=1

IYAOYAS

Pro Rec SNA & NFO BDCP
Actually I was reading that with the whole guide thing. With the applicant part saying that you must have 20/40, then once you are picked then you can have 20/100 which makes no sense. But hey nothing really made since while I was in the navy for 4 yrs

euclid83

FS SNA
Well, I called the NRD yesterday and finally got a hold of the Lt. in command over my recruiting office. He assigned me a new OR and both seemed to be sincere and ready to get me in the door. Right now they are trying to figure out my application status and what the hold up is or was. All of this happened around 4:30 yesterday so I still was not able to find out of I got pro-rec'd or wether I was even at the board. Either way Im happy I finally got a dedicated OR and the ball is once again rolling.

Charity

Final Select SNA
I talked about you briefly with Symington today Charity. I overheard him talking about a girl with eye issues that was prorec'd to pilot and I said "Hey is that Charity?" He then rolled his eyes when I told him I knew of you from AW, hahaha.

Thats awesome that you are getting to go down to Corpus. I went there back in October to get a full flight physical and everyone is very nice. Plus it was awesome sitting in waiting rooms with pilots. I talked with a few and they were good guys. They doc doing the eye exams seemed rushed but she did a thorough job - you will know by the end of the day whether you will be good to go or not. Let me know if you have any questions about going down there.

That's funny (I wonder why he rolled his eyes, lol), he probably thinks I'm the most paranoid person ever...and maybe I am. The only way I know about that my astigmatism may be outside the limits is from AW. No one in the military has given me any info about it at all. I've read on here about people being NPQ for having astigmatism at -1.25, so I'm trying to get answers, but everyone tells me I'm fine as long as my vision is 20/40 or better...it's not that easy, the astigmatism complicates things. Symington has been really helpful with it all.

Charity

Final Select SNA
What is your astigmatism without your eyes dilated? Can't remember which thread it was on, but I don't think you can be disqualified if your eyes are out of parameters during cycloplegic refraction, but are within parameters during manifest refraction. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

My astigmatism was -1.5 without my eyes dilated and -1.00 with them dilated, so I'm a little confused by that.

euclid83

FS SNA
So I talked to my new OR a few minutes ago and he gave me some bad news followed by some good news. He told me that my package went in front of the Jan board but my transcripts and ASTB scores were not with my package (he nor the guys in Millington have any idea how this could have happened). As a result I was a non-select. The good news, given that they acknowledged the error, is that I do not have to reapply, and as of now I am on board for February. So now that everything is in order and I have an awesome OR all I have to do now is wait. Finally, some real progress! So I guess now its off the February board thread to post my stats once again.

euclid83

FS SNA
Oh yeah, I also wanted to congratulate everyone who was pro-rec'd this month. I hope all of you make final select!

IYAOYAS

Pro Rec SNA & NFO BDCP
euclid83.....Your thing is sounding like when I got enlisted in the navy...I went through 3 recruiters in about a 6 month span....Causing so much trail of paper work and losted paper work from security clearances to just my enlistment papers. But keep your head up and good luck next month...

As with mine I was just told my physical passed through there system and if going back for the final approval

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Oh yeah, I also wanted to congratulate everyone who was pro-rec'd this month. I hope all of you make final select!

Well man, look at it as a blessing in disguise. More work now would have been required of your recruiter once you were pro-rec and seeing as how this was all fouled up..who knows when that would have been and you want it done right.

Good luck at the February board, once I'm at OCS ahead of you, I'll take it easy on you ;)

rbwill2

lucky dogs. congrats to everyone who got in. i had my app complete w/ LOR and motivational stmt in NOV and took the ASTB 19 DEC (6/6/7 55). my OR originally told me FEB, but now is telling me more like MAR. it's a little frustrating since i saw someone apply a week before me and get pro-rec'd in JAN. but, if i'm gonna spend my next 8-10 doing this, i guess a few more months won't hurt. hopefully i get in the FEB boards AND hear some good news.