• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

It’s Official: The U.S. Navy’s ‘Growler’

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Number 3 wing station ???? Doesn't look "tronny" to me ..... :) .... then again, it's just a patch. Ergo, the question ....
Nope the real purpose of the patch is to convey the "Two in the pink, one in the stink" theme that is the "Shocker." I'll amplify via PM if you're unfamiliar with the term. Typical loadout will, of course, vary according to mission requirements, but the conventional wisdom suggests 2x AMRAAM, 2x HARM and the rest will be a combination of drops and pods. Of note to the uninitiated, wingtip LAU-7s are replaced with ECM receivers, so no heaters.

Brett

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Nope the real purpose of the patch is to convey the "Two in the pink, one in the stink" theme that is the "Shocker." I'll amplify via PM if you're unfamiliar with the term. Typical loadout will, of course, vary according to mission requirements, but the conventional wisdom suggests 2x AMRAAM, 2x HARM and the rest will be a combination of drops and pods. Of note to the uninitiated, wingtip LAU-7s are replaced with ECM receivers, so no heaters.

Brett
Ummm... I didn't understand a word you said... does per diem come with that?

phrogpilot73

Brett
I got it... And I don't think I've stopped laughing yet...

Pugs

Back from the range
None
"A number of naval aviators from the Prowler community expressed dissatisfaction with the Growler name when it first was proposed, saying on Internet message boards that the term had a scatological connotation."

Hmph, looks like they've been reading the stuff posted here...

My local brewpub's refillable containers are gallon capacity "Growlers" So maybe it's a reminder of the number of quality brewpubs in the Pac NW? :)

Pugs

MarineAir

Future Naval Aviator
Does anyone know why the Air Force Material Command is in charge or naming Navy aircrafts? Just curious!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

Brett

I just about fell over laughing having just recently been acquainted with the term. My girlfriend is a very senior VP at a prestigious Chicago public relations firm. Her staff is populated with mostly very attractive 20 and 30 something young ladies from the likes of IU, Notre Dame, etc. One of her more wholesome looking (think Ivory girl" staff members) was having a drink with us one evening and somehow the word "shocker" came up whence she promptly made a three finger sign and explained the term. I was so caught of guard - even for a salty guy like me. Hilarious.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Her staff is populated with mostly very attractive 20 and 30 something young ladies from the likes of IU, Notre Dame, etc...

are they hiring???

Brett - Easily one of the best patches ever.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This reminds me of the time I had to explain (in graphic detail) to a certain precocious female JG what the meaning of "Dirty Sanchez" was. Good thing we were all in the club and I had already enjoyed a couple of smart cocktails. :D

Brett

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
This reminds me of the time I had to explain (in graphic detail) to a certain precocious female JG what the meaning of "Dirty Sanchez" was. Good thing we were all in the club and I had already enjoyed a couple of smart cocktails. :D

Brett

Thats hilarious.