• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is there gouge on the drug waiver issue?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"They" won't find out via polygraph when you're just another OCS candidate. But--if you stay "in the club" and promote, they're going to ask you again and again as you renew your clearance, and at some point they'll probably want to hook you up to the machine. Do you really want to remember "a story" for twenty years? We don't hire angels...we hire leaders. Honor, courage, commitment are simple concepts. Don't make it overly complicated. Say what you did, let 'em know you understand what "zero tolerance" means, and let 'em know why it matters to you. "They" will usually make the right decision. I'd rather have an officer in the wardroom who admitted they smoked dope 10 years ago, than an officer who just "lied again" on their clearance renewal. The first one USED to smoke dope, the second one IS a liar. Big difference.

Generally good advice, but that's not how they do polygraphs for a clearance.

Brett

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
Any concern over MJ use more than seven years ago?

I'm freaking out because I goofed at MEPS. The doc asked had I ever used any controlled substance and how many times. I answered yes, marijuana, and "5 to 10 times" which is interpreted 10 times. Now that I think back, it's been four times, the last time being in early 2001 (I dont actually expect anyone to believe me). So my application and EPSQ will say "no" to drug use within the past seven years but MEPS says yes. I feel like I really screwed myself by just guessing at the number of times.

I've worked hard to make a pretty competitive package and I'm gonna be pissed if I blew it.

I am in the same boat as you. I smoked pot back in HS a few times and the doctor put 10X in the MEPS (I will be honest I cannot remember if it was 5 or 8 times). I was honest with them, and that was over 7 years ago. I have been around people who smoke and I was strong enough to say no thanks, it does nothing for me (Few times I smoked was more less peer pressure, trying to be cool, there is nothing cool about being doped up). If the NAVY does not appreciate my Honesty, too bad! I will continue to work as an Engineer and earn my money that way. I am not perfect, but when I want something, I work hard to obtain it and even harder to keep it.

getmeinaf18

I am also applying for OCS with the Navy with prior usage and an arrest for possession on my record.

I'm trying to get a better understanding of how the waiver process works. I recently sent in my 1st app and didn't get selected, and I am trying to get together my 2nd package to submit this month.

I read somewhere that waivers need to be submitted with your package, but I have been spending days trying to find out if this is true. My recruiter never mentioned anything about applying for a waiver, so I figured the selection board decides on waivers when they view my app.

Does anyone know? And can anyone shed more light on the mysterious waiver process, like who decides on drug waivers and if the waiver decision is made before, during, or after the selection board gets my application.

I found a lot of good info, especially on this thread, about what type of situations are waiverable, but I am more interested in the correct way to go about applying for a waiver.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How do they do polygraphs for a clearance?

They hook electrodes up to your privates and flip the switch every time you lie.

The only time you are going to get a poly is if you end up going to work at particular places or for particular agencies. The vast majority of guys who have a clearance never have to sit in the chair, so it really is not something to worry about. Even if you do go in for one there are no 'secrets' or gouge, you just go in and do it. Even if you do have a polygraph there are only a handful of places that do the 'lifestyle' one, where they ask you if you have ever had sex with animals and other fun stuff.

Long story short, don't worry about it.

LEG DAY

^^^Cool bro thanks. Not worried about, just never thought about it I guess. I actually think it sounds kind a cool if they do it the way you describe with electrodes and all.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Whatever floats your boat ...

Examiner: Have you ever made a statment that could be construed as looking forward to having your nuts hooked to electrodes?

LEG DAY: Uh... well this one time on AirWarriors...

Examiner: FAIL!

Triumph57

Honesty is the only way to go. I smoked pot a handful of times back in my sophomore year of college. I was nervous that I would be disqualified, so I lied about it at MEPS. Later, my conscience got the better of me and I confessed to my OSO. He said if I had been honest since the beginning, getting a waiver might not have been a big deal. He said he wasn't going to bother trying to get me the waiver because he had too many applicants as it was and in these easy recruiting times his chain of command wouldn't hand one out to someone who displayed poor judgment by lying. I only cheated myself by lying and I sincerely regret it. Now I will probably never have those coveted aviator wings. Moral of the story: Be honest...and winners don't do drugs.

getmeinaf18

That's an important lesson you are sharing, its just too bad you had to learn it the hard way.

I would honestly keep trying if I were you. I have learned that a good attitude and tactful words can go a long way. Plus, the worst that could happen is just getting more "no"s.

Triumph57

I haven't given up yet. I fully intend to keep trying. I'm hoping that some sincere and humble apologizing will help my cause. If that doesn't work, I intend to do charity work, earn my private pilot's license, work on my PT and do whatever it takes for me to convince them I would make a good officer and deserve a second chance.

I just wanted to share my situation as a cautionary tale to others. I made a bad decision by using drugs in college, and, rather than show I have matured since then by confessing, I compounded it with another bad decision of lying to MEPS. Hopefully, my recent good decision of coming clean will prove I still have some merit. If not, I have nobody to blame but myself.