• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is the PI in your future?

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
cubidog.jpg

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
As I recall, painted lable = good (i.e. local), paper lable = formaldehyde (i.e. export)
As a brewer, zero logic behind that analysis. That's pure Sailor scuttlebutt.
Maybe, maybe not. There is a big difference in the taste of the Sam Magoos I buy on Manila layovers (better) than those I buy on other Asian / Pacific layovers. And it's infinitely better than the crap we used to get on Diego Garcia.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe, maybe not. There is a big difference in the taste of the Sam Magoos I buy on Manila layovers (better) than those I buy on other Asian / Pacific layovers. And it's infinitely better than the crap we used to get on Diego Garcia.
November Sierra!!!!!!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're asking us to distinguish between which pile of dog shit tastes better. It's all crap, HAL. At best, it's a cheap immitation of second rate Naty lite or Busch beer. It ws the best the locals could come up with at the time. America can (and does) do better, and we should demand the same kind of quality when we go abroad.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're asking us to distinguish between which pile of dog shit tastes better. It's all crap, HAL. At best, it's a cheap immitation of second rate Naty lite or Busch beer. It ws the best the locals could come up with at the time. America can (and does) do better, and we should demand the same kind of quality when we go abroad.

Hey! After months at sea clandestinely drinking illegal and court-martial-worthy good beer, and then running out long before the next in port period, that green, formaldehyde tainted (and who knows what else) 'San Magoo' beer that puts you on the crapper for most of the next morning was still, some of the best cold beer I ever quaffed!

Questions?

Besides, bad beer beats good port for this sailor, every time!

anyportinastorm.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm suspicious of the oft quoted formaldehyde rumors. Any real evidence of that other than a bad hangover? Anyhow, roger your "any port in a storm." Thankfully, due to the much maligned globalized economy, we have many more flavors of shitty beer to choose from whilst in port. :D

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
San McGoo is defininately an "Enviromental" beverage, But Red Horse will give you a real man's hangover!

Fallonflyr

pilot
Hey! After months at sea clandestinely drinking illegal and court-martial-worthy good beer, and then running out long before the next in port period, that green, formaldehyde tainted (and who knows what else) 'San Magoo' beer that puts you on the crapper for most of the next morning was still, some of the best cold beer I ever quaffed!

Questions?

Besides, bad beer beats good port for this sailor, every time!

anyportinastorm.jpg
Tasted great as long as there was ice on the bottle...spent many a morning with a bad case of the Magoos.

Renegade One

None
I've seen odd colored SHs out of east coast squadrons. With the advent of the new flight suit regs, one wonders whether any of that will survive.
Actually, even in my time (the earth was still cooling...but the dinosaurs were dead...) actual flight suits and "Sierra Hotels" were two different things. One was for actually flying, one was for talking with your hands and shooting your watch in the bar. As long as you keep the two separate, I don't see any problems.
Additionally, unless we now live in Afghanistan, you can also go on liberty in your "SH"...if you wanna look like a real "Studio 54" dork, I guess. They only really work in "known friendly environments". I would hope that the Officers' Clubs that still remain would be included in that...as well as the "Bug Roach Reception" in Reno every year. ;)