• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Intel: Day in the Life

mike172

GO NAVY
BTW: my ex-wife commissioned RL Intell Officer out of ROTC and I know a bunch of others also. As well as some ROTC Supply weanies, etc.

Sir,

Do you have any more information on what your wife/others did to commission Intel? I have gotten the impression that you can apply for anything you want but you won't get it unless you are NPQ.

Anything you can add about how they went about doing it would be greatly appreciated.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
So after talking with some Intel Officers (thanks Logico) and searching around more, I've decided to go ahead with the re-designation. I'm going to start on the letter requesting it, and my Recruiting command has given me the green light.

For LoRs, I know that military tend to have more weight. I asked my Army ROTC cadre for one, since I worked with him a lot and he had a really good impression of me.
I've been seeing a bunch about interviews and recommendations by applicants with Intel or other community Officers. At my old ROTC unit, there was another cadre member who was Military Intelligence in the Army, and I'm wondering if getting an interview and then recommendation by her would help much.
Seeing as she's Army, it wouldn't be the same thing, but from what I gather, the Intel community is more inter-service.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
One more question...since I'm currently in Supply, I'm guessing my SF-86 wasn't reviewed very closely. Do you think they will look at it again if I get re-designated, and then conduct an SSBI? Would they give me a chance to update my SF-86 before they do that?

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Apologies for the delayed weigh-in on this thread, but I was connectivity-challenged for most of January...

HJ and Fester pretty much hit it on the head - you're either part of the Ready Room or you're not. The quickest and easiest way to tell if you'll be a good fit as an intel officer in a Ready Room environment is to honestly answer this question:

Do you think farts are funny?

If "yes" and you tend to respond with counter-battery fire of your own, then you'll do fine. If you look around for the culprit, sneer, and say "Oh, grow up!", then you're in for a long tour. And I'm not kidding on this point.

As to which job is more "interesting": it really depends on your personality. Both are for detail-oriented mindsets. If you like to solve problems, then Supply may be for you - supply is a big constrained optimization problem. Intel is more about "knowing stuff", which sounds completely stupid but is really gets to the heart of the intel business: you are what you know. Of course, it helps that if the "stuff" you know is directly relevant to your assigned command's mission area - being knowledgeable about World of Warcraft doesn't count for much. (On the other hand, the ability to quote the entire screenplay from Monty Python and the Holy Grail would serve you quite well.) You can make yourself irrelevant pretty quickly if you can't demonstrate relevance, and the fact that you were pretty knowledgeable in your previous assignment means jack at your current assignment if it's not transferrable. If you are a quick study, you can go far. IMHO, one of the best attributes of a good intel officer is intellectual curiosity - if you always want to "find things out" or "know what's going on in the world", then you'll do well. If you are dense, overly serious, are uncomfortable speaking in front of others, don't think farts are funny, or (god help you) have some kind of physical deformity, you're in trouble...

As to the "Day in the Life" question, it's tough to generalize since a JO can fill jobs in so many different communities. In a squadron, you're carried along by the same tide that carries everyone else - whether you're underway, forward deployed, at home station, at exercises, etc. I've found that since a below average 3rd class Petty Officer can handle most formal and informal squadron AI jobs (e.g., Security Manager, Snack-O, etc.), I was able to use large parts of my day to get smart on my platform, or get things done that benefitted the squadron as a whole. Sometimes this meant sucking up the shitty little jobs that come around, sometimes it meant taking on the cruise project, or other such things. I was a good Admin planner, and generally found the good restaurants and interesting things to do wherever we went as a squadron.

Anyway, I'm starting to ramble from time-zone dislocation - good luck on your application!

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
if you always want to "find things out" or "know what's going on in the world", then you'll do well.
To add to this and just connect FlyinSpy's dots:

"know what's going on in the world" means what's going on relevant to the squadron/unit you are assigned to. Many intel o's get wrapped around the axle on big picture strategic issues. Obviously these are important and understanding what the big picture is, is vital. However most Naval aviation squadrons are tactical units. They need to know enemy tactics, operations, etc.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
Coincidence, but I just changed my tagline to reflect my original name. I made this name with the suspicion that I have a mild colorblindness, and the multiple tests I have gone through have proved me NPQ for any URL duty.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought the light saber decapitation at the end was a nice touch.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Was that a WTI in the front row? The kind that wears the patch even though he graduated the course 10 years ago? OK, I got it, you know tactics stuff.