• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Intel: Day in the Life

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can anyone give me some info on what it is like to be [one] of these mysterious persons.

Mysterious?????

titular_movie_themes_rotn_small.jpg

Suppose it is all relative, but a fresh caught Intel O reporting to a squadron has a tough challenge to fit in....some end up like this ^^^^^ rarely venturing out of CVIC and "their" kind and others are part of the Ready Room

mike172

GO NAVY
I apologize and I hit the post button before i noticed the "an" weren't there and I had to run. So just to clear that up...

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Can anyone give me some info on what it is like to be an Intel officer, or direct me to a forum which has more of these mysterious persons. I checked Usnavyocs.com and searched but am having trouble finding stuff. Thanks!

You actually started this thread inside of the Intel forum. There is quite a bit of good info in this very forum.

Here is a good thread to get you started:

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14273

After you read it and the other threads, we can try to answer any specific questions you have.

mike172

GO NAVY
Thanks I read that post and the other one that someone posted and got a lot of info on the Intel community. I am just confused as to what it means to be unrestriced line, restricted line officer, and what that means for an Intel officer in the fleet.

navy09

None
It does mean something if you can't commission into the RL.

mike, simplest way to put it: URL= Combat Officer (Pilot, NFO, SWO, SEAL). RL= Support Officer (Intel, Info Warfare, Public Affairs). You can't be a pilot and an intel officer at the same time, they are two totally different jobs (sorry if you already get this, just wanted to highlight the basics).

You pretty much have to go URL out of NROTC/USNA. Later in your career, you're allowed to transition into RL communities.

mike172

GO NAVY
Huh good thing you told me that cause I thought you could. So basically going Intel is like a career path switch down the road.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Out of ROTC... there are some programs where you can become an Intel O straight off the street.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your profile says that you're an ROTC guy; 99% of ROTC grads go into URL (Intel is RL). There's always the possibility of lat xfer somewhere down the line though.

Is that so? What's your source for that statistic?

Brett