• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Intel: Day in the Life

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wouldn't saying:

"It's the exception rather than the rule."

be more straightforward?

Thank you. What about all the STA-21 folks? They get a ROTC commission. Do 99% of them get a URL designator?

Brett

navy09

None
He's going to be a Mid, so that's a moot point (no disrepect meant to STA-21 bubbas). I was simply trying to give my shipmate a realistic description of his options upon graduation. You can make it into as big a deal as you want.

/out

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I think what Brett is trying to say is don't make up statistics. The senior members of this site work hard to keep the bad gouge to a minimum and made-up stats fall in the category of bad gouge.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Other thing about Unrestricted Line (URL) versus Restricted Line (RL) and Staff officers is that URL is eligible for Command at Sea where RL and Staff officers are not.

What's this mean? If all the officers except a URL ENS and a RL (or Staff) CAPT on a ship are dead, the URL ENS is in command of the ship.

More practical situation - liberty boat. If you are a URL ENS in a liberty boat where all the other on board officers are RL or Staff, you as the ENS are in "command" of that liberty boat. If something happens, it's your ass not the senior officers.

BTW: my ex-wife commissioned RL Intell Officer out of ROTC and I know a bunch of others also. As well as some ROTC Supply weanies, etc.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think what Brett is trying to say is don't make up statistics. The senior members of this site work hard to keep the bad gouge to a minimum and made-up stats fall in the category of bad gouge.

It's nice to see that someone is paying attention to detail. :D

Brett

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
Intel or Supply

I can't seem to find the lowdown on what being a Intel JO is like, although I know that it varies depending on assignment, unit, attitude, thick skin, etc...
I'm in the BDCP now with a Supply slot, but I applied for Intel as my first choice.
I've talked to my recruiter about re-designating, as Godspeed did, and he gave me the green light, but he also told me to make sure it was what I really, really wanted. And that in his point of view, Intel officers just spent their time getting made fun of by aviators, and that Supply officers tend to have a better time.
Now I'm not really looking for a "better time", nor am I afraid of being made fun of (it seems to run in the military) but I do want to do something interesting that has more potential long-run value. Those, I think, are judgments that I'll have to make, but aside from calling up a Naval station and asking for Intel officers, I figure this is the best place to get some gouge on what the Intel community is like, and how it stacks up against the Supply community.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A Tale of Two Spies

...in his point of view, Intel officers just spent their time getting made fun of by aviators, and that Supply officers tend to have a better time.

As a TARPS squadron we had two Intel Officers....one showed fear and weakness in front of the Ready Room and was stress-checked continuously (see Flying Fish thread for the fling wads of paper treatment). We he tried to teach us aircraft and ship recognition, we had cutout cardboard animals that would be held up infront of projector whenever he turned around. His favorite saying "Now cut that out, this is serious!" He took all the CVIC and Flag rotational Intel assignments in order to stay away from the maniacs in the Ready Room that he was warned about at Spy School (when they handed out assignments, the USAF Intel colonel told him "I'm sorry, you're going to fighters"). We hardly saw him, but I think he's lost the nervous tic we gave him by now and Navy covered all the therapy with good doctors.

Our other spy was an athelete and ran with us on the flight deck, boomed with us on the beach and tuned into the Ready Room from the get-go. He later went to Naval Special Warfare and deployed with Task Units fitting in with SEALs as part of the team there.

The Ready Room tries everyone on for size, even ourselves. As to life as a Porkchop, we made our Wardroom officer miserable until he started providing decent quality support to the Dirty Shirt (he never even visited it and preferred to stay in Wardroom). Our squadron chop almost went the path of our first spy when he got up at an AOM and asked us to all please use the bathroom before we manned up because he was spending too much money on Piddle Packs. it took awhile before he lived that one down. His replacement was friends with the UberSpy and fit right in as well. Note: RIOs even offered up their seats for both those guys to fly off the boat and ashore (and they both did on many occasions).

We had nerdy LDOs and ones who were priceless members of the team. You can make a go of any billet or career path. It's more you than the job.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Just a note: I don't think Supply Officers are assigned to squadrons anymore, so if you go supply, you'll most likely be on a ship...unless you decide to come out to the Seabees ;)

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
It's more you than the job.

Noted, for sure. I hope to keep this in mind as I go through OCS, come out the other end, and start off as a newbie in the Fleet.

I guess what I'm also interested in hearing is which job would be more...'interesting'...if that makes any sense. I've seen plenty of breakdowns of a 'day of a Supply Officer' or the 'career path of a Supply Officer', but I haven't heard much from Intel JOs...there doesn't seem to be much comprehensive information anywhere...anyone you would suggest talking to?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Intel-O's in squadrons build their own job to some extent. Depends a lot on what the skipper wants, of course. On the Boat, they spend most of their time working in CVIC for the Air Wing IO (O-4-ish Intel officer). Good AIOs dig into the pubs and reports, find out what the squadron needs, find it, and massage it into readable form for the aircrew. Bad Intel-O's hide in CVIC all day and avoid the squadron.

A good AIO also makes an effort to be a part of the squadron and "squadron life". Participate in the ready room, go on libs with them, play your part in fo'c'sle follies. Wear brown shoes, be proud to be part of the team and play your role.

I'd put it this way - if I had to choose between being a Spy and a Porkchop, I'd pick Intel in a heartbeat.

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
For one thing, you avoid a lot of watches/duty that the Unrestricted Line guys don't.

Well Im not sure us Intel Guys are kinda a wierd case since were considered "Special Duty Officers." I think were considered restricted line in everything but name though I know we don't have any of that funky staff corps insignia. .