• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Intel and IW to merge?

bbell

Wink,

Thanks for your support. My recruiters told me it was due to lack of accountability in tracking my application. This was my second application and was submitted in June 04. I was originally told that my application was not reviewed by the boards back in Oct.-Nov. because part of my service record was missing. Due to my age, I must attend OCS in FY 06. I mentioned to my recruiters that the new Chancellor of my university is a former Secretary of the Navy and head of NASA. They told me that a LOR form him would almost certainly get me selected. If I receive an LOR from him I will reapply.

Cheers

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, at least it seems like they came clean about thier screw up. I really hope you get another shot at it. They should give you expidited, special handling after what happened this last time. Keep the heat on. Make them feel quilty. Good Luck

joshmf

I was pro-rec'd for Intel last month, and was going over ealier threads on here to get some intel on Intel, so to speak. In a now-locked thread from 2004 there was a discussion about plans to merge Intel and IW into one URL community, with one designator- 1600:

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showpost.php?p=115119&postcount=35

I'm curious to know if these plans were carried out, still being worked on, or scrapped entirely. I'm hoping someone out there can provide some insight. Thanks.

Turkleton

I was recently pro rec'd for IW.

I'm thinking that what The Chief was talking about eventually resulted in the renaming of Cryptology as Information Warfare. I don't think that ended up effecting Intel at all. I could be wrong though, just a guess.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was recently pro rec'd for IW.

I'm thinking that what The Chief was talking about eventually resulted in the renaming of Cryptology as Information Warfare. I don't think that ended up effecting Intel at all. I could be wrong though, just a guess.

Concur. Never heard of such a merger.

Brett

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
My recruiter mentioned this was in the air when I was thinking of putting Intel on my application over a year ago and and would probably happen eventually. That's the only time I've ever heard of it. I wouldn't expect it to happen anytime soon, if ever. Don't loose sleep over it.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
.... I'm thinking that what The Chief was talking about eventually resulted in the renaming of Cryptology as Information Warfare. I don't think that ended up effecting Intel at all. I could be wrong though, just a guess.

Absolutely wrong.

My point was more big picture. The Intelligence Reform Act had juxt been passed and we all were speculating on whether theire would be a National Intelligence Czar, the position that Mike Mcconnell, an old Navy 1610 "crypto" Admiral from my era now holds. As an aside, an active duty General Officer heads DCI and CIA. Never happen said all CIA employees and many of their camp followers. Well, it did happen.

The Navy, developed plans to:

A. Eliminate the Naval Security Group Command, placing assets closer to "operators" and renaming "cryptologic" as Information Warfare. Many nattering nabobs of negativism said that would never happen. Well it has. NSG Command, the "daddy" of all 1610's, is history. There were also some major changes to ONI, will not discuss here. Sort of related, see www.usncva.org

B. Part One: Restructure the 161x and 163x community, changing designator of folks in both designators to 160x. Part Two: Making 160x Unrestricted Line. Whole bunch of folks within the respective communities did not like the first part, and even more folks withing the Navy in general, in particular SWO types, did not like the second part. Soooo... neither part has happened, the Informal Organization does indeed have sway.

Will it ever happen. Yes, to both I think, just a question of when.

Having said that, let me quote a very wise forum memeber: "The more things change, the more they stay the same":icon_rage:icon_rage

Turkleton

Absolutely wrong.

My point was more big picture. The Intelligence Reform Act had juxt been passed and we all were speculating on whether theire would be a National Intelligence Czar, the position that Mike Mcconnell, an old Navy 1610 "crypto" Admiral from my era now holds. As an aside, an active duty General Officer heads DCI and CIA. Never happen said all CIA employees and many of their camp followers. Well, it did happen.

The Navy, developed plans to:

A. Eliminate the Naval Security Group Command, placing assets closer to "operators" and renaming "cryptologic" as Information Warfare. Many nattering nabobs of negativism said that would never happen. Well it has. NSG Command, the "daddy" of all 1610's, is history. There were also some major changes to ONI, will not discuss here. Sort of related, see www.usncva.org

B. Part One: Restructure the 161x and 163x community, changing designator of folks in both designators to 160x. Part Two: Making 160x Unrestricted Line. Whole bunch of folks within the respective communities did not like the first part, and even more folks withing the Navy in general, in particular SWO types, did not like the second part. Soooo... neither part has happened, the Informal Organization does indeed have sway.

Having said that, let me quote a very wise forum memeber: "The more things change, the more they stay the same":icon_rage:icon_rage
If you read my original comment again I think you will find that I was absolutely RIGHT in reference to what has been accomplished thus far. ... Just sayin'

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
.... I was absolutely RIGHT ...

Okay, depending on your definition of Intel. You obviously meant 1630's, I meant larger "Intel" consisting of both 1610 and 1630.

In your context you were correct. Sorry.:eek::eek:

Related: What going to happen? Who knows? Bunch of folk have hunkered down for a big fight, so far they are winning. :tongue2_1:tongue2_1

I lived through the Admiral Harlfinger (CNO OP 94) days when the drill was to place Naval Intelligence Command and Naval Security Group Command under one roof. Still have scars, learned a lot about folks not giving up their rice bowl, easily.:(:(

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

That one still gives me heartburn, I guess I just have had too many bad experiences with some Intal and Crypto guys.

MrSaturn

Contributor
That one still gives me heartburn.

Im curious on why?

The lines between restricted line and unrestricted line are blurry as it is.
Everyone gets the same paycheck.
Everyone performs a mission critical to the US.

I fail to see how a name change will impact the community.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Im curious on why?

The lines between restricted line and unrestricted line are blurry as it is.
Everyone gets the same paycheck.
Everyone performs a mission critical to the US.

I fail to see how a name change will impact the community.

The lines are still clear enough, URL command people in combat units while Crypto and Intel officers are mainly in support roles.

Yeah, so does the USAF MWR officer too, but you don't see him doing anything but counting how many towels are there at the end of the day.

Again, so do Doctors and the JAG officers. We don't have them commanding combat units.

I simply don't agree with making Intel and Crypto officers Unrestricted Line officers. I have worked, and continue to work, with Intel and Crypto officers of all branches. I have nothing but good things to say about the vast majority of them. But there is a drastically different mindset for most Intel/Crypto officers than there is for Unrestricted/Combat arms officers. The easiest way to sum up the difference with many would be that the point of intel is not just to get intel, military intel is there to primarily there to support combat ops. Many, but definitely not all, Intel/Crypto types don't seem to grasp that. And I don't want to see that kind of mindset commnading a Carrier Battlegroup.

I was happy in my support roles as an EP-3 and an EA-6B NFO, I knew my place in the grand scheme of things. I find it mildly amusing that many Intel/Crypto types can't accept their support roles.

dephyler

Contributor
If I may throw in my $0.02 (disclaimer, I'm still in the DCO application pipeline).

From a USNR standpoint, moving Intel or Crypto to URL Officer roles would be detrimental to the fleet, I think. As it stands, a guy like me can walk in off the street with a degree, get training over the course of a year, and can start contributing. Whereas if Intel were to go URL, there would be a need to bring Intel officers into the role of leading in combat, which takes a lot more time than a couple of weekends throughout the year.

It's not going to hurt my feelings if the only officers left on a boat are a future me and an URL ENS, and he starts telling me what to do.