• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Impact of Flag/GO Appointment Delays

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mark Kelly is a Democrat senator. However you say that Republican senators are fed up with him. What gives? You realize Tuberville didn’t just decide to do this out of the blue? It takes two to tango…

Republican Senators including Joni Ernst (LTC, ARNG Retired), Lindsay Graham (Colonel, USAFR Retired) and Daniel Sullivan (Colonel, USMCR) took turns last night to nominate 61 General and Flag Officers to new positions for more than four hours. They called for 'unanimous consent' for each nominee, a Senate procedure where a nominee is confirmed by a unanimous voice vote instead of each individual Senator voting and the normal way GO/FO promotions have been done by the Senate for decades, and Senator Tuberville objected to every nominee effectively blocking the promotions. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, if each GO/FO nominee has to go through an individual vote it would take up A LOT of time in the Senate, preventing it from doing a lot of its regular work.

To say the Republican Senators were 'fed up' is probably an understatement:

They noted that they were bringing up the nominations “one by one” as Tuberville had once called for, and asked why he wouldn’t allow them to go forward. Tuberville did not answer. “I do not respect men who do not honor their word,” Ernst said at one point.

Sullivan said “China is smiling” as the United States blocks its own military heroes. “As an American, it almost wants to make you weep.”

1. He is holding up nominations for GOFOs, many of those are tied to promotions. Many/most of those nominations involve a promotion, I.E. all the O6s who made O7, or the 2 star moving into a 3 star billet. Some moves are lateral, like VCNO to CNO, which are both 4 star billets. Flag matters is a strange animal, but I'm 90% sure that they won't get backpay. Their date of rank starts upon confirmation.

General and Flag one and two-star officer promotions are permanent and are not tied to a billet, three and four-star promotions are not permanent and are tied to specific billets. If a three or four-star Admiral or General moves out of their billet while on active duty and not into another three or four-star billet they can revert to two-star rank, though that doesn't happen too often.

Also, when a three or four-star General or Admiral retires they also have to be confirmed by the Senate to retire at that rank. Usually it happens with no issue but occasionally folks retire as a two-star because they didn't serve enough time, two or three years off the top of my head, or they retired under a cloud. RADM Sestak is a good example who fell under both categories, he got fired from his three-star billet within a day of Admiral Mullen became CNO.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Tuberville has made his point. To continue to be obstinate about this goes beyond him being an asshole.
There has to be a sharp Republican veteran in Alabama who will step up to primary him in '26, and hammer him on this issue. Preferably a Bama grad.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
There has to be a sharp Republican veteran in Alabama who will step up to primary him in '26, and hammer him on this issue. Preferably a Bama grad.
If a Republican primaries Tuberville on this issue in Alabama, the candidate will be immediately labeled Pro-Abortion - and likely never win any election in Alabama again.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
If a Republican primaries Tuberville on this issue in Alabama, the candidate will be immediately labeled Pro-Abortion - and likely never win any election in Alabama again.

That seems like a realistic assessment. Based on incumbent re-election rates, I also doubt Tuberville is leaving DC anytime soon.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Eh, you may be right, but there's a lot of time between now and then. I wouldn't put too much stock in that poll. The bigger factor is probably whether Trump is president or not. Also, how much he continues to piss off his own caucus with stunts like he's doing now. Mcconnell swings a big dick in the senatorial fundraising game and how it gets doled out.

An adept politician could easily swat away accusations that they are "pro-abortion" bc they disagree with Tuberville's antics.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Eh, you may be right, but there's a lot of time between now and then. I wouldn't put too much stock in that poll. The bigger factor is probably whether Trump is president or not. Also, how much he continues to piss off his own caucus with stunts like he's doing now. Mcconnell swings a big dick in the senatorial fundraising game and how it gets doled out.

An adept politician could easily swat away accusations that they are "pro-abortion" bc they disagree with Tuberville's antics.

I hope someone can beat him. The fact that he thinks the stress of being the Commandant of the Marine Corps, as well, as the ACMC, is equal to his decisions on who to make a healthy scratch that day, or who to start, is absolutely appalling and speaks volumes to his disconnect with society.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot