• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS If War Comes, Will the U.S. Navy Be Prepared?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
We also need to recapitalize our shipyards - if we want this big fleet - we need to define what ships will make it, justify why, and figure out a plan to build and maintain them at a better rate than we are currently doing. Then, once we get them and maintain them, we should be sure to not abuse the hell out of them with 8-11 month ill-defined deployments every 2-3 years.
This ^^^

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Yea. Remember back in 2010 when people said

"Don't worry. DPRK submarines are old and not that capable." ?
Well, if you stack that one next to the 1998 DPRK submarine incident we still pretty much get to laugh at them still.

nodropinufaka

Well, if you stack that one next to the 1998 DPRK submarine incident we still pretty much get to laugh at them still.
One of them sank in 2016 as well. Never came back up.

But it was more of my point that even if its old and using COTS navigation. All it takes is one hit.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The computerized GMT that doesn't work is insidious. When it still doesn't work then that sends the message that somebody who should have got fired... didn't. And everybody gets that message.

McCain and Fitz were terrible disasters but they were also symptoms of a greater problem. A few admirals (and their staffs) were getting paid a lot of taxpayer dollars to know that our people forgot how to be competent ship handlers (and it's not just those two ships!). It goes beyond believing a hunky-dory SORTS report that "certifies" training and material readiness as deployable. There was also Lake Champlain, Louisiana (submarine), Essex, the BHR fire...

Trying to look at this objectively (and as a now-retired guy), I see only two possibilities—the responsible flag leadership either chose to ignore the problems or they were too incompetent to see them coming—pick one! (Pick at at least one.)

I'm unconvinced that we're turning things around. If we really are getting better, I don't trust the system enough anymore to believe we've got better until I see a better track record for the next five or ten years. Mason shot down some inbound cruise missiles a few years ago (I had to look up the ship's name, and once again BZ to her crew!), but I'm not convinced that that is representative with our war fighting capability fleet-wide.

I hope the Chinese are even more disorganized than we are. In the old days, the Russians usually were.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Trying to look at this objectively (and as a now-retired guy), I see only two possibilities—the responsible flag leadership either chose to ignore the problems or they were too incompetent to see them coming—pick one! (Pick at at least one.)
I would disagree with this assessment.

The COG for a US warship is the CO. In the cultural mantra of preserving the absolute authority and responsibility of the CO, sometimes the ISIC is too hands off at ensuring that uniform, consistent standards are met. The most recent example is a conversation with several senior SWOs who said that they just ignore the circadian rhythm guidance. In the sub force, once that came out several years ago the CDREs staffs were out making sure everyone adopted it.

SELRES_AMDO

The computerized GMT that doesn't work is insidious. When it still doesn't work then that sends the message that somebody who should have got fired... didn't. And everybody gets that message.

McCain and Fitz were terrible disasters but they were also symptoms of a greater problem. A few admirals (and their staffs) were getting paid a lot of taxpayer dollars to know that our people forgot how to be competent ship handlers (and it's not just those two ships!). It goes beyond believing a hunky-dory SORTS report that "certifies" training and material readiness as deployable. There was also Lake Champlain, Louisiana (submarine), Essex, the BHR fire...

I'm unconvinced that we're turning things around. If we really are getting better, I don't trust the system enough anymore to believe we've got better until I see a better track record for the next five or ten years. Mason shot down some inbound cruise missiles a few years ago (I had to look up the ship's name, and once again BZ to her crew!), but I'm not convinced that that is representative with our war fighting capability fleet-wide.

I hope the Chinese are even more disorganized than we are. In the old days, the Russians usually were.
You want to know one thing the Navy did to "fix" the Fitz/Mccain problems?

They decided to hire 20-30 retired SWO O-6s as GS-15s to "mentor" the current waterfront. I wish I was joking.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The COG for a US warship is the CO. In the cultural mantra of preserving the absolute authority and responsibility of the CO
No disagreement that the COs failed (and that is a question with very little gray area when our mantra, as you put it well, is absolute authority).

But when it's a trend then it means there's another, greater problem, other than a few individual COs.

nodropinufaka

Your statement was "we may not know where they are"

We know where the Jins are.

Not going to delve too far. But that is entirely untrue. Esp if 6 get underway at once.

Besides- even if they did know the location. Does knowing its location stop a JL-2 from being launched?