• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS If War Comes, Will the U.S. Navy Be Prepared?

number9

Contributor
@Jim123 posted over in the CJCS vs Rep Gaetz thread but I thought it warranted breaking out into its own:

The WSJ article talks about this report: A Report on the Fighting Culture of the United States Surface Navy Fleet. A lot of talk about readiness, culture, morale, and a money quote of "The Navy treats warfighting readiness as a compliance issue", ouch.

The article's author has an interesting Twitter thread that summarizes her views. (If you can't get through the WSJ paywall but use Chrome, I recommend the excellent Cookie Remover plugin to clear cookies on a per-site basis.)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Navy is not resourced to the level required to perform its current peacetime mission, let alone prepare for a peer adversary fight. Clearly, it's a very complex issue, and resourcing alone is not the solution, but even a lay assessment of China's capabilities and the speed at which they are building their Navy should be cause for concern for those resource sponsors within DoD and the Congress.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
What can be done about it?

It seems to be pretty true across the entire Navy. And that everyone is worried about getting fired or in trouble for making any type of decision.
What do you mean by this? This is in CNO, SECNAV, SECDEF and Congress' hands, for the most part.

If you're asking what can be done about our culture? Man, that's a deep dive, and to be fair, the report really only focuses on SWOs, not aviation, submarines, SPECWAR/OPS, where I suspect tactics are much more prevelant much earlier on in an officer's career. Wave tops: less administrative burdens, more focus on warfighting and tactics. With that said, I don't think the average enlisted Sailor in the surface fleet (or aviation, outside of AWs) is expected to know any tactics, but they should be excellent at things they will be needed for in the fight: Damage Control (and I think the Navy does a first rate job at the emphasis on this), maintenance and repair (see point 5.A. below), and, in some cases, like FCs, GMs, and OSs, yes, tactical and technical expertise.

If you're asking along the lines of what @Brett327 said, it's complex, but I think it comes down to:
  1. We need less missions for peacetime that need to be sourced at, near, or above 1.0. (This requires SECDEF, POTUS, and probably Congress on some of the issues.)
  2. We need combatant commanders working with each other instead of constantly saying "I'm the most important." (This will likely require a change in laws because currently the incentives are just too great to have it any other way.)
  3. We need more ships, particularly of the higher end DDG/CG kind. Zumwalt probably was the answer there, but the cost was too much. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no real replacement for the current CGs other than ordering more capable flight III DDGs, and even then, we will be relying on the Arleigh Burke class for the forseeable future. Is there a viable mid-to-near term replacement for them? I don't think so, but again, someone correct me.
  4. We should use the lower end ships (I'm looking at LCS) in appropriate roles and stop trying to get them to do high end missions, work in places with high sea states, work in with a CSG or ARG, etc. They could take the load off DDGs and CGs stuck doing lower end missions like 1/2 of our international cooperation events, anti-piracy, counter-narcotics, and probably fill the role that we're closing with getting rid of the PCs in 5th Fleet.
  5. We need more protected, dedicated maintenance periods for ships.
5.A. That maintenance period needs to include realistic goals, and our Sailors should be trained to be able to do some of the work beyond "it's broke, let me replace it." We need more technical expertise in the Surface Fleet and less reliance on contractors. Does anyone think contractors will actually be available to meet up in Singapore or Sasebo to go fix [insert component here] when the next war kicks off? Does anyone think contractors (and the few GSs we have on ships) will be available to go to sea with the ship like some do?
5.B. The contractors we do have need to have paid-for-work years in advance so they can maintain and retain the same workforce to gain expertise instead of laying them off as soon as a job is done and hiring a potentially new set of workers upon the next contract. The model I'm looking at would be like how SRF works in 7th Fleet.
6. The Navy really needs to take a serious look at it's use and the costs/benefits to CSGs, ARGs, and ESGs. I suspect some of these will become obsolete in the "high end peer to peer competition" that we seem focused on.

Man there's more, but that's the wavetops I can think of immediately.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From the report that senior leadership is risk adverse and just trying to appease their boss and survive their tour.
Yeah, what else is new in criticism of senior leadership in the past 40 years? Difficult to assess that force-wide. In my experience, that's not representative of the leadership across the NAE. Much more productive to focus on some of the things @DanMa1156 put in his thoughtfully articulated post.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The leadership of the last 40 years got us into this mess...the criticism of the last 40 years is entirely valid. A bunch of yes men over promised and under-resourced a navy, and then broke out their fitreps with pointless fluff. Do that long enough and the golden path to a comfy O-6 retirement or O-7 screen board becomes "get really good at the useless fluff."

The solution? Probably the same one that we used in WW2. All of the yes men died or were fired after they lost a couple battles and a few hundred lives. All the womanizing drunks who could fight their ship rose to the top, rapidly.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Acquisitions is also a jobs program, that's a big part of why our equipment is so expensive.

I use that phrase in a dispassionate sense, not disparaging.

Spreading the defense jobs around the country keeps up expertise and capability in the economy. Some of the NATO countries have to make decisions about keeping shipyards open at slow production, building ships that their defense planning says they don't really need, all so that the country doesn't "forget" how to build good warships. The Brits, the Swedes, and the French are the only countries over there with the indigenous capability to build first rate combat airplanes (but the Swedes have to get engines from us). The other major NATO powers possibly still could go it alone but they choose to work in consortiums instead or to pay for a small stake in JSF participation. On the other hand some of them are still very good and shipbuilding.

it's a backdoor subsidy too (something the Euros often contest, they're right, and they're much more upfront about their way of subsidizing the aerospace industry, they just have a different mindset about doing it). Nothing novel about this concept and lots of dual use technology benefits military power and the commerical economy; they create good spinoff jobs too that make for good press being "high tech, high paying" but they also nurture a skilled, educated workforce.

Enough of the abstract part, now for the disparaging part.

Our way is just expensive as hell though. We seem to spend a lot of money churning information, paying for studies, beholden and cynically resigned to timelines that are always behind and costs that are expected to overrun. What's the punchline? "No colonel left behind." Take the uniform off and put a suit on, then go to work as a contractor making twice what you did last week. The contractors can't meet the spec on time but the uniformed people keep changing the spec and asking for new stuff. The voters are happy because it's millions in their local economy.

Who's fault is this mess?

And why do we have more admirals than ships?

nodropinufaka

Yeah, what else is new in criticism of senior leadership in the past 40 years? Difficult to assess that force-wide. In my experience, that's not representative of the leadership across the NAE. Much more productive to focus on some of the things @DanMa1156 put in his thoughtfully articulated post.

I mean it’s still a problem though. Even if it’s not a new criticism.