• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IDC (IP/IW/INTEL/SWO-IDC Otion) Board

Tenzo82

Just a question guys I keep getting conflicting info on if Im going to be competitive one OR says yes one says no , one guys says they mainly take people with prior intel and a M.S. degree grrrrr I wish I was young enough for NFO or SWO!!! My stats are below.

Fedman - Your stats is good but it all depends on other applicantst that will be submitting or the same designator. I've seen people with OAR as low as 35 get selected. Just keep on charging if you don't get pick up the first time. We never know what the board look for on each board.

Good luck.

fedman28

I was hoping to make the April board because June will include recent graduates :( more compitition lol

Areum

Anyone who got Intel Feb board hear back yet? As far as received their FS?
Don't take this as fact, but from what i've heard, INTEL is probably going to be a while. most intel's selected off of the FEB board will be put in classes for FY'15. They're filling intel slots for FY'14 with people who got pro rec'd Y from last year. so you may not want to hold your breath. you may not see an FS until july or august.

Navy2014, no, you can apply for IW and IP as well without a tech degree.

The general consensus (from what I've seen) is that it's helpful to have a course or two in calculus and physics. Some people say it drastically improves your chances to have a CS or STEM background, but others stress that IDC needs to be made up of sailors with diverse minds.

It might help to look at quotas for each designator to judge competition. I think, for example, only a few, rather than dozens, of IPs and SWO-IDC "vacancies" open per year.

You are right. I think the stem background helps. I got selected on the recent idc board with a science background for oceanography. I was the only one selected so you just never know. I definitely wasn't expecting it, but it was a good surprise.

Spookcumber

Don't take this as fact, but from what i've heard, INTEL is probably going to be a while. most intel's selected off of the FEB board will be put in classes for FY'15. They're filling intel slots for FY'14 with people who got pro rec'd Y from last year. so you may not want to hold your breath. you may not see an FS until july or august.

Someone in my chain who called a fleet processor told me this as well.

Does anyone know when the March/April Boards meet? Also trying to figure out if I am even competitive for Intel.

28/f/non-prior
PhD: 3.83
2 Masters in Comparative Politics and International Relations: 3.81, 3.65
B.S.: 3.63
ASTB: 56 5/5/6
Foreign Language: Russian and French
Extensive Leadership Positions
LOR: 3 professors and 1 adviser

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
Hey, PhdPoliSci. I also applied with a largely academic background and was selected for IW at the February 2014 board. I'm not an expert, but your stats certainly seem competitive to me. I'd say to try to get some non-academic recommendations and at least one recommendation from an O-4 or above. The board may be asking themselves, "ok, she can clearly handle herself in the academic world, but how do we know if she will be successful in a military environment?" Play up your extensive leadership experience in your personal statement to help make your case. Good luck!

exNavyOffRec

Does anyone know when the March/April Boards meet? Also trying to figure out if I am even competitive for Intel.

28/f/non-prior

You have a PhD so that will set you apart, what is your BS in? It may come down to how many billets they have available for non tech degrees.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*

28/f/non-prior

We had a guy in my NIOBC class (IntelO school) who had a very similar background. Don't worry about your ASTB, the full is only needed for aviation.

Spookcumber

We had a guy in my NIOBC class (IntelO school) who had a very similar background. Don't worry about your ASTB, the full is only needed for aviation.

How long is NIOBC now?? I've talked to 5 different people who have been through it and all 5 gave me different answers or said 4-6 months

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
How long is NIOBC now?? I've talked to 5 different people who have been through it and all 5 gave me different answers or said 4-6 months

20 weeks, excluding stuff like the holiday standdown at Christmastime.

mrmac

I am still waiting to hear results from this past board. My OR has no new information to offer. However, I do have some time sensitive decisions that will have to be made while waiting for results. Can anyone offer any advice or insight as to my situation differs from other applicants? Are there any scenarios in which my application could have been held over for the next INTEL board?