• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HS-8 Deployment.

hscs

pilot
HH-60H has it right on the nose -- and that is my point. The 60S is able to hold a higher nose attitude to the deck. However, we proved that it is possible to tag a stab from a 20' hover in a 60S -- you just have to have a little extra wing down and be nose high.

MasterBates

I'm only in the FRS, but thats what they say the steep approach is for. Using our doppler groundspeed and radalt to help with speed and altitude.

The running landings aren't all that hard, but I've only done them in the SH-60B, and probably only 25 or so at that.

Greg,

Using the RAG/Homefield steep approach, you will brownout in the desert. Real bad.

I have done ~10 "brown" landings in Kuwait/Southern Iraq, and you have to come in way hotter than the "steep" approach. Gotta stay ahead of the cloud.

60B has the same 13 degrees below 15 feet restriction as the F/H (same airframe, just more crap hung off it). You can come in hot, but it is a lot less forgiving than a taildragger (A/L/S types)

1rotorhead

pilot
1rotorhead,
Well my facts are based of 05 info and come straight from the head shed. They send the report that show just how many a airframes are in country. And yes the guys up north as you say share their side of the airfield with other rotary winged special ops assets. I'm sure they have assets that aren't reported. But if they are reporting 160th assets I'm sure the Navy ones are pretty accurate.

Sorry dude. Thought you meant sister services as other active navy helos.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm only in the FRS, but thats what they say the steep approach is for. Using our doppler groundspeed and radalt to help with speed and altitude.

Steep approaches are the antithesis of the brownout approach. Unless you are fully coupled with a doppler or GPS until touchdown, you will kill yourself coming in steep in the desert. Those passing that gouge in the FRS have never been to the desert.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Steep approaches are the antithesis of the brownout approach. Unless you are fully coupled with a doppler or GPS until touchdown, you will kill yourself coming in steep in the desert. Those passing that gouge in the FRS have never been to the desert.

Generally, it's not what's passed (unless an individual is passing bad gouge). There's a seperate CAL/LZ syllabus for HSL which is in-tune w/ the other Seahawk WT/ACTC syllabi, which is what Master was referring to.