• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HS-8 Deployment.

1rotorhead

pilot
BTW, the HCS squadrons are full time NSW assets flying daily out of Baghdad. They are kicking some serious ass. It takes time to get there though, all of their pilots are TARs.[/QUOTE]

Not all of their pilots are Reservists. There are some active bubbas deploying with them. It's all timing and who you work for.

bobbybrock

None
Yes they have assets in country. Very few compared to their sister services. Most of the spec ops support comes from Army MH aircraft.
I talked with the skipper of the west coast unit and it will be a thing of the past in a short time.
As far as flying daily out of Baghdad I think not.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
More DFC's on the chest of Navy helo drivers would be a good thing!!

One thing I can agree with. You apparently haven't done your job right, or were sick that day if you don't have a DFC in tacair. I've only seen one (Primary IP, the extent of my helo knowledges) with one. He was "the man". Good job of leveraging your way into the nitty gritty.

hscs

pilot
Bobby -- HCS-5 is getting absorbed into HSC-85, and at this point, will lose the mission (unfortunately). I think you may be confusing the merger with the overall mission tasking. The east coast is still going strong.

bobbybrock

None
HSCS,
Rog, When I talked to the old skipper he had mentioned that and refered me to their new CDR . He basically said the same thing and also mentioned the mission.
I know that they wanted some guys with experince. I think the term used was lots of 'turf time".
If I was going to relocate to the SAn Dog area I'd think it'd be a great sqaudron to be in. Looks like they will be getting some sweet air frames. I think he said MH-60S's .
To me that seems like a better fit for flying NSW in the sand box.. I got the chance to fly a J-Hawk a few years back. Three point roll-ons aren't very fun when you are used to the tail wheel sitting 10 feet further aft. I'm just curious as to how you guy do dust landing like that.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
One thing I can agree with. You apparently haven't done your job right, or were sick that day if you don't have a DFC in tacair. I've only seen one (Primary IP, the extent of my helo knowledges) with one. He was "the man". Good job of leveraging your way into the nitty gritty.

They still aren't that common in the Marine Corps. I've met two guys with DFC, and they both were helo bubbas. To be honest, I don't see how that many tacair pilots deserve valor awards. I'm not being a smart-ass, I'm just asking where the threat is to those guys. Yeah, you many have dropped some really good bombs, but the hazard to yourself probably wasn't that bad. I'm not saying there weren't isolated cases, but if Navy FW guys all have them, something's really amiss.

In anycase, I'd say the awards system has been completely perverted anyways, so who cares?

Glad to see the Navy helos doing something besides starboard D, though! Ooh-frickin'-rah!

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh, I can't wait to see what Squeeze posts in this thread.

Don't bring me into this sh-tfest. I agree completely with BCH's first post, and I'm neither a helo clown or a Fighter guy, so leave me out of this.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Three point roll-ons aren't very fun when you are used to the tail wheel sitting 10 feet further aft. I'm just curious as to how you guy do dust landing like that.

I'm only in the FRS, but thats what they say the steep approach is for. Using our doppler groundspeed and radalt to help with speed and altitude.

The running landings aren't all that hard, but I've only done them in the SH-60B, and probably only 25 or so at that.

1rotorhead

pilot
Yes they have assets in country. Very few compared to their sister services. Most of the spec ops support comes from Army MH aircraft.
I talked with the skipper of the west coast unit and it will be a thing of the past in a short time.
As far as flying daily out of Baghdad I think not.

Need to check your facts. They have more assets in country thant he HS squadrons. You're right about the not daily out of Baghdad. They are located somewhere north.

hscs

pilot
The tailwheel on the 60S is better for the brownout landings -- you can carry more speed on short final to stay ahead of the dustcloud. We fly the same profile in the F/H, but the tailwheel configuration is less forgiving. If you get hot low, you have to waveoff -- you can't simply add more nose attitude or else you will drag the stab.

bobbybrock

None
1rotorhead,
Well my facts are based of 05 info and come straight from the head shed. They send the report that show just how many a airframes are in country. And yes the guys up north as you say share their side of the airfield with other rotary winged special ops assets. I'm sure they have assets that aren't reported. But if they are reporting 160th assets I'm sure the Navy ones are pretty accurate.
Aside from the dets in Kuwait and the few from the reserve up north that is about it for helo assets on the Navy side.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
WHAT? Holy $hit, you'd need 45 deg nose up to hit the stab!

I assume you are referring to your own aircraft. In the F/H we have a caution (note?) that says nothing above 13 degs nose up below 15 ft. That's because we will hit the stinger/stab.