• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How much we made..."back in the day"

chefmike

1985 Shifting Sands E club at FCTCL Dam Neck had strippers on Wednesday Night. I still have a picture of one of them on my lap somewhere, Lap dances were $5.00 Beer was a buck and The CPO club did not have the entertainment at all due to the chiefs wives complaining. So on Wednesday's there was a lot of khaki in the E club.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I forgot to mention we had beer machines in the BEQ on every floor and legal drinking age was 18, or was that Grandfathered and legal age was 21? Again with the brain cells! Hell it was a goodtime for the $800 I was getting every month as an E2.

Sorry Steve, Memphis was a blast!

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
1022.70 monthly when I signed up. That was good for a couple backpack's worth of smuggled Smirnoff blue bottles in the back gate of NTC Great Lakes while attending FC "A" school. :D

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Payday on the boat was all in cash back in the day... crisp new $20 bills for all 5,000 + guys!

Our bunkroom/stateroom safes were full of stacks of twenties (as a bachelor) after a long line period, soon to be emptied with a good port call. ;)

1971pt2.jpg
payday.jpg

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Here is an LES from my third month on active duty.

I was rooting through the file cabinet the other day and found mine from the same era. We made damn little compared to now but I lived on the beach in a condo, had an Ensign-mobile (an 85 Merkur) and few jets for a living. Life was pretty good!

Flugelman

Contributor
Or even a larger stack of $10 MPC, largest denomination printed.

mpc.jpg

And hurryin' to get it changed out when they made a surprise re-issue to combat black market types.

Damn, you kept those all these years? I got thirsty for a San Miguel just lookin' at that...:icon_tong

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
How did the MPC system work? Same as cash on base/ship?

Yes, 1-1 exchange rate for USD by the Military/DOD Civilians. About every year all of the MPC in circulation was recalled on a day certain, exchanged for new certificates. Exchange could be accomplished only on that one day, with few exceptions. If one showed up with more MPC that the "norm", one could expect a vist by the not so friendly NIS. Each time the blackmarket would end up with a lot of useless "old" MPC. Possession of greenbacks where MPC was legal tender was not permitted. Needless to say a lot of time was spent changing from one form of currency for another, esp for those of us that traveled a lot. A lot of money could/was made in the blackmarket. I knew a UAL stewardess that ........

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
In the last few years some/all (?) of the ships have gone cashless with a program called "Navy Cash." Usually you head to the disbursing office as part of your check-in and get something a lot like a debit-credit card. This is normally linked electronically to your checking account. Basically, you start by putting the card in the an Eagle Cash machine (looks like an ATM) and transferring balance onto it. (That transaction might take a day or two to settle, especially if the ship's internet connection is backed up... yes, internet, on the ship, on deployment...). Then you can use the balance on the card in the ship's store, coke machines on the ship, pay for your mess bill, etc., or anything that would have been otherwise a cash transaction onboard the ship (yes, anything). You can also transfer balance from your card to someone else' by using the machine. The cards even have a MasterCard feature so you can use them out in town. Last but not least, you choose a PIN when you first get your card. That is supposed to make cash theft almost impossible. It's a pretty well thought out program.

I also have a similar card called "Eagle Cash." I think that is the Army's or maybe AAFES equivalent. It doesn't have the MasterCard thingy or anything else like that so it only works in Eagle Cash machines.