• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How much we made..."back in the day"

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
In the last few years some/all (?) of the ships have gone cashless with a program called "Navy Cash." Usually you head to the disbursing office as part of your check-in and get something a lot like a debit-credit card. This is normally linked electronically to your checking account. Basically, you start by putting the card in the an Eagle Cash machine (looks like an ATM) and transferring balance onto it. (That transaction might take a day or two to settle, especially if the ship's internet connection is backed up... yes, internet, on the ship, on deployment...). Then you can use the balance on the card in the ship's store, coke machines on the ship, pay for your mess bill, etc., or anything that would have been otherwise a cash transaction onboard the ship (yes, anything). You can also transfer balance from your card to someone else' by using the machine. The cards even have a MasterCard feature so you can use them out in town. Last but not least, you choose a PIN when you first get your card. That is supposed to make cash theft almost impossible. It's a pretty well thought out program.

I also have a similar card called "Eagle Cash." I think that is the Army's or maybe AAFES equivalent. It doesn't have the MasterCard thingy or anything else like that so it only works in Eagle Cash machines.

Sounds like what colleges use. But how do you pay your poker winnings/losses out?

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Ryan... you have a 'one track' mind.:)

(You getting back up this way again? Lunch is on you this time. :icon_wink)

That makes it sound negative. I simply like to think that I prioritize. :)

It might be a while, but I'll definitely let you know when I'm back in the area. And yes, I've got lunch this time!

blackbart22

pilot
NAVCAD monthly pay circa 1958 = $110 plus $50 flight skins. However, once you hit the boat in the T-28C your credit got real good with the Pensacola Buggy Works. They'd sell you a new '59 Chevie ragtop and the first six monthly payments were $50. After that they went through the roof, but by then you should be pulling down $220 a month plus $100 flight pay as a nugget.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
THIS is how we 'made' $$$$ in my day ....

dsc01895us.jpg

image by A4sForever

Otherwise ... if we didn't 'have game' we got @ $225 twice a month when I was a NAVAIR Stud ... @ $475 x 2 when I was a Nugget ... :)

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
NAVCAD monthly pay circa 1958 = $110 plus $50 flight skins. However, once you hit the boat in the T-28C your credit got real good with the Pensacola Buggy Works. They'd sell you a new '59 Chevie ragtop and the first six monthly payments were $50. After that they went through the roof, but by then you should be pulling down $220 a month plus $100 flight pay as a nugget.

Flight pay was half of base? I suppose it was a bit more dangerous flying back then...

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
IIRC - $295.00/month as a new butter-bar in 1967. To offset that some, you had no expenses at TBS other than your uniforms or a trip to the "G-dunk" on the 2nd floor of Barrett hall if you were out in the field late.

Got to P-cola and added the $110.00 flight pay, went to Whiting and got special crew time in the H-34 to get flight pay started early - thought I had died and gone to heaven, how was I going to spend all that money?:):)

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I made a little over $3K my first year in the Navy. And I had (mostly) hot showers and hot food. No complaints from me.