• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How much we made..."back in the day"

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not much.

Here is an LES from my third month on active duty. I couldn't even afford a nice car on that paycheck. Let alone rent a house. I lived in the BOQ.

OLD_LES_1985_ENS.jpg

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
You know you've mastered the art of technical writing in the military when your verbage threatening aviators to get their flight phys done has survived for 25 years nearly verbatim.

MasterBates

My father told me about making next to nothing back in the 60s and 70s, but the clubs, commissary, exchange were not slightly cheaper than "the outside", they were 50% of what stuff was on the outside on average.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I think a beer was only 5¢ back in the day.

As memory recalls, (and a bit cloudy at that) draft beer was 75¢ and long necks were $1.25. I've killed way too many brain cells since then so I might be off by 2 or 4 bits.

Flugelman

Contributor
My father told me about making next to nothing back in the 60s and 70s, but the clubs, commissary, exchange were not slightly cheaper than "the outside", they were 50% of what stuff was on the outside on average.

Enlisted in '60. Made a whopping $78 a month, paid in cash, once a month. Cigarettes were a dollar a carton and beer at the club was a quarter. You went to the exchange and purchased what you needed for the month, squirreled away a bit ($10 or $15), and just blew the remaining $20.

CAMike

None
Contributor
Ahoy!!! Chelsea Clinton goes off the market to an evil capitalist "Investment Banker". The other half of the NAVY forgets the why they're making the big bucks.

brownshoe

Contributor
As memory recalls, (and a bit cloudy at that) draft beer was 75¢ and long necks were $1.25. I've killed way too many brain cells since then so I might be off by 2 or 4 bits.

Happy hour beer at the Cecil Field EM club (mid 60's) was ten cents a can. Plus... we had Go-Go dancers! :)

Steve

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Happy hour beer at the Cecil Field EM club (mid 60's) was ten cents a can. Plus... we had Go-Go dancers! :)

Steve
We had Go-Go dancers at Memphis too; we had to go-go to town to see them though. :( On the up-side; we could have two beers at lunch during "A" school! :D

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not much.

Here is an LES from my third month on active duty. I couldn't even afford a nice car on that paycheck. Let alone rent a house. I lived in the BOQ.

OLD_LES_1985_ENS.jpg

Wow, memories indeed. Don;t even know if any of mine are tucked away. I do remember some datapoints like buying a brandnew Super Beetle in 1972 for $2000 (base was $1800 and there weren't too many options). My PLC stipend was $200 a month which allowed me to live pretty well coupled to working at restaurants at night. I was able to buy a brandnew 240Z in 75 for $4000 (with upgraded wheels and 8-track player) and remember O-1 pay in 77 being a whopping $13200 a year mainly because I had credit for signing up for PLC as soon as possible before Junior "summer camp". I have to thank my OSO for pimping to do that because I was going to MD and signing the paper meant a drive into heart of DC during the work week, which was never easy while going to school and working nights. Don't think my mostly Hippy professors would have allowed me to leave class for that purpose. Vietnam War was still going on so antiwar sentiment was high on campus.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The BOQ at Oceana did have a beer machine on every floor and "dancers" at the club...so for me, at that point in life, I was living large.