• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How much math do youreally need?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
This is not "cockpit math," but some here will tell you it is required... :D

women_evil.jpg

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
I always say, if you suck at math without a calculator (like me), for the ASTB go and buy a GRE/GMAT math review book because it covers all types of math problems on the ASTB. Like the ASTB, the GRE and GMAT also prohibit calculators.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
For one thing, time = money would lead to 2(money), not money squared.
Nah, they plugged in time for money. So in time * money, money can be plugged into the spot where time is, resulting in money * money = money^2

Why are we even discussing whether this is mathematically correct or not? :)

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
For one thing, time = money would lead to 2(money), not money squared.

Disagree.

Time + Money = 2 * Money (Logically read Time OR Money)
Time * Money = Money ^ 2 (Otherwise Time AND Money)

To expound on the original question, the first few stages of flight training will require some basic algebra to comprehend equations and do quick mental math in the cockpit. Over time, you'll pick up quick estimation methods that will give you the 90% solution. More math will certainly help your mental capabilities. You'll be working rates and ratios quite a bit, and you'll get familiar with the whiz wheel. Later on, simple trigonometry will help you analyze angles and vectors.
In short, it pays to be a nerd.

Nafod

Change I can belive in
Show me. This is kind of important.

the first statement. "women are time and money" 'And' without any modifier implies summation. Women = Time + Money. If you make the initial statement more precise like "women (or girlfriends/wives so on) are the product of time and money" then it works.

+1 to what ArkhamAsylum said. quick but accurate estimation of various simple problems is what one encounters most often in the cockpit.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I should have been more clear. The original statment is that women are time and money, which should translate to time +money, rather than time * money. (In the same way that you could say that 5 is 2 and 3, or 2+3, not 2*3.) Because of that, then, if
women=time+money,
time=money, then
women = money+money=> women=2money

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
A great aviator once said..."you don't have time to think up there...if you think...you're dead."

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
You need some remedial algebra.

Women = Time X Money
Time = Money
Women = Money X Money
Women = Money squared.

If it was Women = Time + Money, then you would be correct.

Did you see my second post? My whole point was that the original equation should be women =time+money (not time*money), which would then lead women = 2money.

If you say x=a and b, then x=a+b.

bluesig1

sure thing
None
Arguing over how evil women are, or how to reach the total of women’s evil is pointless. At the end of the day, no matter how you add it up, the answer to all equations are that women are evil.:D