• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How much math do youreally need?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
And even that is a waste of time (in more ways than one, but I digress). If I'm five radials off and the correction factor is 3.5, I'd say the answer is somewhere between 15 and 20 and call it a day. As long as a stud could tell me how to do it and then flew something close, I was happy. It's not like you can fly 17.5 degrees the whole time, anyway.

I suppose it varies directly with what kind of IP you fly with...

"Ok, sir. I'm estimating 15 degrees"

"Oh, REALLY, EN-sign?? I think it's more like 17!"

:D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
No doubt. Obviously you have to know your audience.

As someone who's not a fan of public math, I tried teaching techniques along w/ the procedures. For example, I expected my onwings to be able to tell me how to figure DEGA on the ground, but using the triangle of life/hope in the air is a good way to cheat while you get all your sh!t in one sock during the EP.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
No doubt. Obviously you have to know your audience.

As someone who's not a fan of public math, I tried teaching techniques along w/ the procedures. For example, I expected my onwings to be able to tell me how to figure DEGA on the ground, but using the triangle of life/hope in the air is a good way to cheat while you get all your sh!t in one sock during the EP.

Agreed.

And good phrase. :D

MasterBates

Did anybody notify Masterbates of this discussion? I would like to see his solution to this math problem.

Why yes, this is my solution:
nerds.jpg

NERDS!!!!

Yes, women are evil. Especially Manatees.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Gatordev, you must have been one of those cool instructors that allowed students to focus more on flying than verbal diahrrea. Those like you are rare indeed, as I'm sure many students would agree.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Gatordev, you must have been one of those cool instructors that allowed students to focus more on flying than verbal diahrrea. Those like you are rare indeed, as I'm sure many students would agree.

I'd like to think so, but I'm sure there are those that might disagree. I'm just not big on the talk-while-fly thing because it was hard for me to do as both a student (when it's not really required) and as an IP, when you have to be able to do that while also managing all the traffic. It's a learned skill, but some students don't have enough time to learn both that and the whole flying thing.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
so i dont need anything past geometry?
Take whatever is required for your major and whatever extra you want to take.

No one is going to tell you "Oh, you didn't take Calc4? Sorry, but there is the door."

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Since this thread has been resurrected:

I was not sure where to put this question but im postin it here. I heard that it takes alot of math to fly, is this true? If so what types of math should i study the most? Im not that good at math and i would like to know about it now so i can strengthin the areas where im not good at.

1) You don't need more than arithmetic to fly, really
2) Every little bit helps
3) Just because you aren't great at algebra doesn't mean you can't be good at math.
4) Math is great but it's not for everybody.

EDIT....pro, or con? You decide:
image.php

cricket_cricket

the whole ASTB thing is what gets me... too much math and physics for a poli sci/history student who took one whole math class in college.

i want to be an intel o, not an engineer!

Find an ASTB study guide. I did poor on my first take of the exam. I studied the heck out of a couple of those books after the ESO on my ship suggested it.

I did tons better on the second take. And now I'm winged! :)

navy09

None
Since this thread has been resurrected:

1) You don't need more than arithmetic to fly, really
2) Every little bit helps
3) Just because you aren't great at algebra doesn't mean you can't be good at math.
4) Math is great but it's not for everybody.

EDIT....pro, or con? You decide:
image.php

Can someone translate...I've blocked integral calc out of my mind.