• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How much math do youreally need?

ferrari360gt

I was not sure where to put this question but im postin it here. I heard that it takes alot of math to fly, is this true? If so what types of math should i study the most? Im not that good at math and i would like to know about it now so i can strengthin the areas where im not good at.

Huggy Bear

pilot
I was not sure where to put this question but im postin it here. I heard that it takes alot of math to fly, is this true? If so what types of math should i study the most? Im not that good at math and i would like to know about it now so i can strengthin the areas where im not good at.

Honestly, you don't need beyond an 8th grade math ability. There really isn't any fancy math involved unless you want to build airplanes. It does help, however, to be able to do math quickly. Also, a good short term memory helps as well, you will constantly be reading back numbers for coordinates, frequencies, etc.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
So THAT'S what I keep getting wrong... short term memory... wait, what were we talking about?

Nafod

Change I can belive in
So THAT'S what I keep getting wrong... short term memory... wait, what were we talking about?

it feels like i just woke up...

i must be doing something wrong because im constatly playing with my whiz wheel trying to figure within 2 standard deviations, the probability that i will get X emergencies on my next sim.

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
the whole ASTB thing is what gets me... too much math and physics for a poli sci/history student who took one whole math class in college.

i want to be an intel o, not an engineer!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's as easy as 1, 2, errr....4.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
It took 2 semesters of calc, and 2...make that 3 semesters of linear algebra and diff-eq for me to fly. Your mileage may vary.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor

Maybe you should be asking about what kind of grammar and punctuation skills you need.

phrogpilot73

I had 3 semesters of Calc, probs & stats, and discrete math.

The most math I do in the plane is basic Algebra (if that).

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Anybody read this thing? I've thumbed through it but could never bring myself to spend $15 for some self-assigned homework ...

1749.jpg

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
It's not so much the advanced math that you need, but they want you to have the analytic, problem-solving skills you will need to do your job and lead others well.

Me, I'm a computational phsyics major.... so I'm getting plenty of math. If you can handle it, math will only help you.

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
"Mathematical Masturbation"... A phrase echoed in certain instrument simulators. All you need to know is the complex interaction of 60 & 10. And at LEAST the first 20 numbers in the string of pi. This helped me remember http://pi.ytmnd.com