• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hornet pilot loses wings over...a videogame?!

KBayDog

They put it down in the desert outside the wire overnight?

No, never said anything about 'the wire'. It was in a friendly country. I was using the fire example to illustrate that is okay to land an a/c on fire if the situation permits. METT-T, or TSL, or whatever they call it this week.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Perhaps it's a different AOR, or the green team treats things differently, but I've been told to treat sand as water out in Durkistan, and the only time you should put down out there is a land IMMEDIATELY. They put it down in the desert outside the wire overnight?

Otto, you're way, way, way overthinking this issue.

If you are flying, and have the option of safely landing and dealing with the issue vice dealing with it in flight, you do it. The potential for catastrophic error goes way down, e.g. pulling the wrong engine back now has ZERO consequence. Common freaking sense says you don't land it in the water, amidst a crowd of AK-47-wielding jihadis, etc.

As someone once said,"It's more of a guideline than a rule..."

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Perhaps it's a different AOR, or the green team treats things differently, but I've been told to treat sand as water out in Durkistan, and the only time you should put down out there is a land IMMEDIATELY. They put it down in the desert outside the wire overnight?

If you are gonna keep flying a damaged/degraded bird rather than setting down in the water or doing a PEL in an uncontrolled area is a HAC call that requires experience. This is why those O-4's you were disparaging a couple of weeks ago are OICs, Level IVs and HACs.

MasterBates

Step one of most EPs:
How can I not kill my crew/pax

Step two:
How can I not die in the process myself?

Step three:
Is the plane savable?

Step four-beyond:
Minimize CAG/CO/MO/ASO induced ass pain/rape.

KBayDog

If you are gonna keep flying a damaged/degraded bird rather than setting down in the water or doing a PEL in an uncontrolled area is a HAC call that requires experience. This is why those O-4's you were disparaging a couple of weeks ago are OICs, Level IVs and HACs.

1. Again, Otto, this is why they pay us the big bucks. Even in Indian country, there's a reason why PR plans are briefed.
2. Again, Otto, never miss an opportunity to disparage an O-4. :)

AirPirate

pilot
Maybe you should take that up the chain. I can see it now, "...MP posted on public forum that he was tasked with more students in simulated emergencies than there were students in existence. Recommend MS reevaluate throughput, abandon NSS system..." :)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I like the freeze and play possum method of dealing with an emergency. Things generally handle themselves amongst all that screaming and gnashing of teeth.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I like the give my students an EP on short final (to a land~based landing) and see what their reaction is. 50% trouble~shoot, 50% land first and then deal with EP, and a few waive off and take another lap in the pattern... wait, that's over 100%!?

Well, HALF your students are right. a few are wrong. :)